shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Garnets? I had no idea

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just purchased this from Dan O'Neil on IG. I have never seen a pink garnet. Garnets were my mothers birth stone. I've been the hoarder of them since I was a little girl [her jewelry in particular lol]. But when I saw this? I had to have it.

Its a 3.85ct Malaya garnet from Madagascar

Malaya Garnet.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Pretty, pretty! :love: Is it a Malaya? I love the color of this one.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pretty, pretty! :love: Is it a Malaya? I love the color of this one.

Yes, I've never seen anything like it. Although I will admit I'm not a colored gemstone girl. This mans cuts though [I stalk him through IG] are incredible. When I saw the pink, I just about lost my mind.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
CS is my jam. Bring on the color!
I want to collect some garnets some day, I haven't had the pleasure of owning one.
Annnnd you can tell I need to go to bed as it clearly states Malaya in the video:roll:
I can't wait to see more pictures. It really is a great cut.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
CS is my jam. Bring on the color!
I want to collect some garnets some day, I haven't had the pleasure of owning one.
Annnnd you can tell I need to go to bed as it clearly states Malaya in the video:roll:
I can't wait to see more pictures. It really is a great cut.

Thank you.. now to design the setting it will go in..im hoping to find an antique to drop it in.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I’m so glad a PSer bought this! I saw this and remarked on it on the “somebody’s gotta buy this stone” thread. I was sooooo tempted but have bought too much already. Please post pictures when you get it!!!

Thank god my husband loves me [is going to kill me] !!!!!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Such a lovely pink, and a great emerald cut. I love malaia garnets. Be aware that they are shifty (in a good way). Mine go from a beautiful deep pink in overcast outdoor light to white and sometimes pale yellow indoors. Make sure to check yours out in different lighting.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Here's an interesting article on "Pink to Pinkish Orange Malaya Garnets from Bekily, Madagascar" on the GIA website:

Bekily is also where the alexandrite-like colour changing blue-green to purple/pink garnets are found.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Vintage ideas you guys? Im lost. And what I do NOT want to do is get stuck in designing the exact same ring that I have already done twice..which is traps on the side. I'd like an antique/vintage feel for this girl. But I'm lost. Once I know what it's going to look like I can decide on the metal color and side stone type. But she belongs in something old.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Art Deco halo? That’s what I did with one of my stones in that shape. I love it!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
What's the IG seller? One of these might be coming home with me soon!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Stick it into a navette. Only joking :mrgreen2:

What are the dimensions of the stone?

I can answer this bc I had inquired about it before @blingmeupscotty bought it hahahaa:
10 x 6.5 x 5.9mm . Again thank you so much for saving me from temptation! And post pics when you get it because I really really really want to see it. He had previously cut another one and I had been tempted by that too! So if he cuts a third…

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can answer this bc I had inquired about it before @blingmeupscotty bought it hahahaa:
10 x 6.5 x 5.9mm . Again thank you so much for saving me from temptation! And post pics when you get it because I really really really want to see it. He had previously cut another one and I had been tempted by that too! So if he cuts a third…

I will.. she'll get a photo spread in bling magazine.

Stick it into a navette. Only joking :mrgreen2:

What are the dimensions of the stone?

I wish!!!! my jaw dropped when I clicked the link.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Really? Antique navettes are quite available.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
No no, it doesn't usually cost 10k. That's just the ruby. You can find them for few hundred pounds.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Though maybe there won't be a a navette that's big enough for your stone!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Or this. Certainly catches your attention. Could double up as a weapon even.

Or how about this? Ok, you can't see half the stone, but it's like that thing that men say - almost being able to see but not quite can be more exciting than fully being able to see.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Vintage ideas you guys? Im lost. And what I do NOT want to do is get stuck in designing the exact same ring that I have already done twice..which is traps on the side. I'd like an antique/vintage feel for this girl. But I'm lost. Once I know what it's going to look like I can decide on the metal color and side stone type. But she belongs in something old.

Hardness 7 - 7.5, so some protection is advisable.

Vintage/antique sites have lots of settings with EC diamonds, aquas, etc. that could give inspiration.

How about this concept from Voce (adapted for EC)? Antique vibe, diamonds would set off the pastel colours of the garnet, protective.
A couple more pictures, afternoon weak sunlight through windows.

IMG_20200121_134619.jpg IMG_20200121_134735.jpg

On metals, here are mine. The left is in rose gold, the right in 18k yellow. I prefer the yellow because it gives a clear contrast with the stone. The rose gold tends to merge with the stone.
Malaia.jpg

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wellllllllllll... I have bad news.. and I have spectacular news. The bad news is, it's here. And I'm not going to open the box. Mind you.. I've never seen it but only in pictures.

The spectacular news? in the last 24 hours my DH and I have had a piece of land for retirement drop into our lap. We moved faster than a cat on a hot tin roof, and snatched it up. But the purse strings are now closed. What does this have to do with not opening the box you ask? I shall tell you. I have put the kibosh on ever expenditure for the rest of the year [yes yes I KNOW I already purchased it..hold your horses!].

At Christmas time I have decided that we're not exchanging gifts. We'll make it a game for example. We will answer [for each other] 5 questions, and give one another the gift in response to the question. It could be a chocolate bar, or a pair of fuzzy slippers.

It arrived yesterday, and I said to my husband "babe what's my favorite color these days". He responded "pink" and I knew exactly what I wanted to do. So I told him, this is going in the closet and he's going to use that as one of the question gifts. Simple and silly. The focus now will be on the retirement home. So you'll all see it when I do.. and it will be a 2023 project.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your land purchase! I’m sad I don’t get to see the stone though! For months anyway :) Does he have a final sale policy? I figured you would at least want to see it to make sure you want to keep it if he accepts returns….and yes that’s a ploy for me to make you open it!!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Congratulations on your land purchase! I’m sad I don’t get to see the stone though! For months anyway :) Does he have a final sale policy? I figured you would at least want to see it to make sure you want to keep it if he accepts returns….and yes that’s a ploy for me to make you open it!!

It won’t be going back lol. Thank you for the well wishes. We are pretty damned excited.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results