shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Diamonds vs. Pink Sapphires in e-ring halo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dpeart

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking around the forum for a few weeks. I stumbled upon ps when I starting looking for a setting to re-mount my 1 carat diamond into. I like the following D. Vatche setting. I want pink diamonds in the halo though. Exceldiamonds.com is checking w/ D. Vatche to see if they will do this. If they can''t, I''ll have to go custom (and probably change the gallery and sides). The salesman I talked to at Excel Diamonds said it would be very expensive. I asked him to check anyway. Then I noticed some threads on ps about pink sapphires and I wondered if they might be a good substitution in the halo for pink diamonds. Pink diamonds would have more brilliance, but the stones will be so small, maybe it wouldn''t make that big of a difference either way. What do you guys think? Here is where the ring is. (Sorry you have to cut and paste. I can''t figure out how to shrink files to attach it.)

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Rings-12/Engagement-Rings-By-Vatche-72/Antique-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-by-Vatche-1208.html

sera

Ideal_Rock
I have seen quite a few pink diamond rings by Simon G and others. They are very sparkly, pretty and have a subtle elegance (imo). I also do love pink sapphires; the ones I have seen have been bright and pretty. The pink sapphires I've seen have a very different look than the diamonds, so I don't know that you could "substitute" them and have the same look- I think it would more be a choice of preference.

ETA: If you're getting that exact ring... something to consider: pink diamonds tend to be set in rose gold to enhance the color (otherwise when they are that small they can look dingy). If you want it all white gold or platinum, sapphires are set in either as well as rose gold.

I <3 Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Have you thought of morganite? I guess it depends on what hue of pink you want...

dpeart

Rough_Rock
I had read that rose gold will enhance the color of pink diamonds, but I didn''t realize it helps them not to look dingy. I''ll have to keep that in mind.

I looked up morganite and read that they chip easily. That wouldn''t work for me since I''d be wearing the ring everyday. Thanks for the idea though!

I <3 Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Very light spinels or pad sapphires would look good if you found the right color.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference is powder pink diamonds and I asked my jeweler about the cost of powder pink melees to use in the setting of a Tanzanite I have. This is a couple of years ago. He charges $15.- per point for G/H color, VS2/SI1 clarity white diamonds and he said that pink diamonds in the same clarity would be about $40.- a point and they''re not easy to come by. I''d have to be patient until he found a good parcel of them.

The price is up there. Doing a full halo for my Tanzanite with all pinks is not in my budget, but doing something like putting a sweet pink at the 3:00, 6:00, 9:00 and 12:00 positions white striking white in between is something I am definitely thinking about.

Always tinkin''..........
3.gif

dpeart

Rough_Rock
I don''t know enough about stones to know what spinels or pads are. Sorry! What are they?

dpeart

Rough_Rock
Gemgirl, thanks for the pricing info on the pink diamonds. I really had no idea how much they were aside from the salesman saying "very expensive." If they are still priced at what you said, that''s doable. I think it would be worth it to have what I really what (although my husband may not agree!).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go with pink diamonds. Take a look at Maytal Hannah''s site. I believe she has done a pink diamond halo for someone here before.

http://www.maytalhannah.com/

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2007 7:00:56 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''d go with pink diamonds. Take a look at Maytal Hannah''s site. I believe she has done a pink diamond halo for someone here before.

http://www.maytalhannah.com/
If you can afford them, pink diamonds would be the way to go; however you indicated that you like a powder pink colour and for that, morganites would be a lot less expensive. I''ve got to admit that I''ve never see pave morganites, though.

Make sure that the pink/rose gold that your jeweller uses doesn''t have an orangey tinge which might *clash* with the pink of the pave.

From what I''ve seen here on PS, Maytal does beautiful work (especially with pink diamonds).
30.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a sapphire lover, HOWEVER, I would stick with diamonds for the halo. I know this is personal preference, but I''ve been trying on a lot of sapphire eternity bands next to my diamond e-ring and the sapphires just don''t look as nice next to the bling of diamonds. You probably have to see this for yourself to see if you prefer one over the other, though.

Now, a sapphire center stone with a diamond halo, that''s something I''d be interested in . . .
11.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I love pink. I think the pink sapphires would sparkle nicely for you but of course they aren''t as sparkly as diamonds. Spinels are in the corundum family same as sapphires and rubies so they are as hard as sapphires but they are probably a little harder to find. They come in lovely shades of pink as well. I will be anxious to see your ring when you get it finished.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results