shape
carat
color
clarity

pink diamond, laser-inscribed - Argyle -

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I got this pink diamond ring. It is laser-inscribed with an Argyle number, but doesn't come with a certificate from Argyle, just the sorting card. I'm wondering what its ballpark value in the states is. Can anyone give me an idea? Also, is there any way to look up the ring by its laser-inscribed number? I can't find anything on the web, and I sent an e-mail to Argyle asking, but they didn't answer. I trust the jewelry-shop owner, so I'm sure it's legit. I don't have the grading report yet, but here are the statistics:

.563 ct Fancy Pink diamond, pear cut
SI2 - some black spots of carbon are visible with a loupe but it looks good with the naked eye
platinum setting, with .38 in melee diamonds

Thank you very much for your help!

Pink Diamond 1.jpg

pink diamond 2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An estimate of pricing will depend on the colour grading and verification of the Argyle number. Unfortunately, anyone can inscribe whatever they want on anything.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I'm kind of an FCD nut.
Argyle diamonds do have a pecking order, and at the top are the year's best 60 or so, which are auctioned in an annual private auction called the Tender.
If you had one of these tender stones, you'd know it.

Next are pinks that got both the Argyle laser inscription AND a report from Argyle.
Next are pinks that got the Argyle laser inscription but no report from Argyle. (I have one of these, see pic below.)
Next are pinks that ARE from Argyle (I've been told a few top experts can tell by the hue) but got no Argyle laser inscription or report.
ALL of the above should also come with a grading report from GIA, which will mention whether there is an Argyle inscription on the girdle, an example of which is at the bottom of this GIA report:

Generally the "better" the pink the more likely it is to get an Argyle report and an Argyle laser inscription, but I've seen many pinks that demonstrate that Argyle is not consistent in how they rank and reward their pinks with reports and inscriptions.

Sorry I can't help you with "value".
There is no such thing as one true value anyway.
The retail price for your ring, new, at a fancy store on Fifth Ave in New York will be higher than what a pawn shop in Detroit will offer you for it.
You can look for comparable pink pears on websites with large inventories like www.fancydiamonds.net .

TO my knowledge there is no way to look up your diamond based on its Argyle number.
I tried on mine and Argyle also ignored me.

What is this "sorting card" you mentioned?
Can you post a pic?
Perhaps that's just the card from GIA.
Did you get a GIA report with the diamond?
Does the report say Pink, Brownish-Pink, Orangey Pink or Purplish Pink?
This will affect the value.

Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 9.53.45 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 10.06.01 AM.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got all technical and forgot to mention, I think your diamond and ring are stunning! :love:

You asked about value.
Another thing that may affect value is who called it SI2, the seller or GIA itself.
The clarity grade being assigned by GIA is more desirable (trustworthy) than the seller grading it if you ever sell the diamond yourself.

GIA issues two kinds of Colored Diamond reports, a short one and a long one.
The one I posted above is the long one, in which GIA grades clarity.
The report below is the short one in which GIA does not grade clarity and other things, and was probably requested because this blue diamond has a substantial feather, (look on the left side of the pic) and GIA may have given the diamond the dreaded I1 clarity grade.

I should add that low clarity is more forgiven in FCDs than white diamonds because of the rarity of FCDs.
In the most rare colors, GIA-graded I1 and I2s can sell in the zillions of bucks.

SI2 is a critical borderline clarity.
I think few buyers care about the difference between VVS1 or VVS2 but from SI2 to I1 is a large psychological leap, so GIA issuing the SI2 grade may be especially important.

Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 10.29.49 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 10.48.19 AM.png

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
omg!! Stunning!!

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kenny,

Thank you so much for the detailed and very informational informational reply. I've been reading up on pink diamonds on the Internet, and most of what I have seen says every Argyle pink diamond comes with a certificate. So I've been very confused about that, because he
has had some other pink diamonds that didn't have any certificates. And as as you have experienced as well Argyle does not respond to emails with questions. So you have solved the mystery for me about the pink diamonds with inscriptions and FCdiamonds with certificates and FCDs without certificates etc. I also read about the tenders and yes of course I realize that if you have a stone that came from a tender you would definitely know about it. (I wish I could afford to get my hands on one!)

Thank you also for your screenshots and photos of the inscription and grading report. They're very informational. I am in Japan, so I can't get a GIA grading report on it here, because there are no GIA offices in Japan, and it would cost too much to send it to the states and would be too much of a hassle. The ring is at the lab that they use as we speak, which is the Japan Germany gemological laboratory. I bought another small pink diamond from him, and it came back with a report showing the clarity, the color and things like that. They do a pretty thorough job I believe. And in the future if I want to sell the ring, then I know I would probably it would behoove me to get a GIA report on it, maybe sometime when I'm home visiting the states.

He said that the color is fancy pink, and he did show me what he called a sorting card from Argyle, it's just a small card with Argyle's notes on it. I don't have it now, as the ring is at the lab. But I'll probably receive it or I will definitely ask him for it when I get the ring. I don't have any reason to believe that he would fake something like that. He said it was SI2 but it's a very beautiful diamond and with a loupe you can see several black specks of carbon, but as you said and as I have read on the Internet fancy pink diamonds are allowed to have inclusions. But it's very sparkly and it is pretty much Eye clean. I also checked with the 20x loupe, and I verified the argyle laser inscription on it. He set it in the ring for me so that you can still see the inscription, so that's very exciting I think.

Actually he gave me a good deal and I paid about $6800 for including the setting and he gave me the .40-.50 ct white diamond that was originally in the setting for free as part of the deal. I'm very pleased with the way the ring turned out, as I think the setting makes the pink diamond pop, so I am pretty happy with it. But I was just wondering if anybody would confirm that I got a good deal or not. Looking at pink diamond prices on the Internet, for comparable shapes and color and size, I do believe I did get a good deal. I guess what really matters is that I love the ring. And from what I read on the Internet, pink diamonds will almost certainly go up and up in value, so I bought it as a future investment and as bling that I love.

I'll be getting the certificate from JGGL on it shortly, but as I said, with all of the other with the other rings I have bought he has been accurate.

Anyway Kenny, thank you so much for your great information and input, and any other comments that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!!

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
As an afterthough, I am uploading some pictures of three pink damond rings for color comparison purposes. (The other two rings are my friends'). We all bought them from the same jeweler - the only three pink diamonds he had left! We are now the pink diamond sisters! :lol:
They are from left, my fancy pink .563 ct, my friend's fancy orangish pink .4xct ring, and my other friend's .28 or so ct fancy purplish pink rings. (the black ring is a southwestern native-american made ring with created opal and jet, which I was wearing that day.) Excuse my unattractive finger! I also added seperate pictures of all three. The colors may be not 100% accurate, but they offer a little bit of comparison. Enjoy!

Another question, if anyone knows or has an opinion - is fancy purplish pink better than fancy pink, or not? It seems that from my reading on the net that purplish pink is better than fancy pink with no modifiers, and fancy orangish pink is a step below, but my Japanese dealer said the plain fancy pink is best and the two modified pinks are equal and one step below. Maybe that's in Japan....Aaah, the never-ending questions! Lol. None of these rings are vivid or intense, which are clearly the best......

Thanks again!

Pink diamond bling 1.jpg

fancy pink.jpg

fancy purplish pink.jpg

Fancy orangish pink.jpg

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hey. Kenny!! :wavey:

After I sent you my response, I checked my e-mail, and lo and behold, Argyle answered me!! :appl:
So I'm copying it FYI.

Thank you for your email and interest in Argyle Pink Diamonds.

Generally speaking, Argyle pink diamonds greater than 0.20ct are laser inscribed if they were originally bought after 2005. Over the years, the criteria for the laser inscription and certification of Argyle Pink Diamonds has changed. As such, depending on when the stone was bought and its size, it may not have qualified to be laser inscribed at the time thus not entitling it to a certificate. If it is laser inscribed but without a certificate it may be possible to obtain one but the request must be made through the original purchaser of the stone. We are unfortunately unable to provide this document to third parties for security and privacy reasons.

If you do not mind sharing the information of the gem dealer in Japan we may be able to advise further on the details provided.

Best wishes for your Argyle pink diamonds purchase.

Kind regards,
Marie

Argyle Pink Diamonds

Rio Tinto
1 William Street, Perth, Western Australia, 6000

[email protected] http://www.argylepinkdiamonds.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, 31 May 2012 11:16 PM
To: Enquiries (RT APD)
Subject: Laser inscriptions and certificates

Hello,

I am confused about something. A reputable gem dealer in Japan has three pink diamonds, and he states that they are all Argyle pink diamonds. One of them which is .56 carats, has the Argyle laser inscription on it, but there is no certificate for it. The other two which are smaller, I believe they are approximately .4 and .3 the carats respectively, have no laser inscription on them from Argyle. What I see on the Internet is that all Argyle diamonds have laser inscriptions. So I am confused. Do all Argyle diamonds have a laser inscription? And do all Argyle diamonds come with a certificate from Argyle?

I believe the gem dealer is legitimate, he has been in business for 20 years and is very well known. So I don't believe he is trying to rip anybody off, but I'm confused because I can't find anything on the Internet that says some Argyle diamonds do not have inscriptions. Could you clarify this for me?

Also if Argyle does produce pink diamonds with inscriptions and without inscriptions, then are the ones with inscriptions more valuable than the ones without?

I am planning to buy the pink diamond that has the laser inscription. It is .56 ct fancy pink, SI2, and the .40 is fancy orangish pink, SI1.

I am very perplexed by this matter so I would greatly appreciate your response on this.

Thank you very much,

C

Sent from my iPad

Aqua0

Rough_Rock
I think you got a crazy good deal! I paid $6000 for 0.12 ct Fancy Vivid Purplish Pink diamond and I don't think I paid too much on my diamond based on the market price of pink. Fancy intense pink goes somewhere between $40-55k for 0.5 ct so you basically paid only 1/10 of market average. As long as the stone is a 'natural' pink diamond, regardless of whether it is Argyle or not, it's a great price you paid.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aqua0|1342991570|3238238 said:
Fancy intense pink goes somewhere between $40-55k for 0.5 ct so you basically paid only 1/10 of market average.

It is not easy to second guess prices of FCDs.
Many things can affect the value that are not on a GIA report.

Aqua0

Rough_Rock
Hi Kenny,
Sorry if i made things sounds too simple. By no means i meant it. I myself went through months of searching my stone so I understand the complexity of what makes one stone more valuable than others. Well, to be honest, I still don't understand much about the pricing standards of stones with modifiers though..lol.

Do u agree that the pricing of FCDs are not only based on the description on the certs but also the impression you get seeing the stone in person? When I was looking for FCD for my engagement ring, few well known FCD dealers said the same thing. But remember feeling confused at the time since we don't get to see 100s of FCDs at one visit nor compare same GIA grade diamond side by side unlike with the colorless. I end up buying the one I liked in person, but wonder buying FCD can be done without too much concern about pricing in the future..

Kenny, I enjoy seeing your magnificent FCD collections. They are beautiful.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gemandjewelrylover|1339067694|3211051 said:
As an afterthough, I am uploading some pictures of three pink damond rings for color comparison purposes. (The other two rings are my friends'). We all bought them from the same jeweler - the only three pink diamonds he had left! We are now the pink diamond sisters! :lol:
They are from left, my fancy pink .563 ct, my friend's fancy orangish pink .4xct ring, and my other friend's .28 or so ct fancy purplish pink rings. (the black ring is a southwestern native-american made ring with created opal and jet, which I was wearing that day.) Excuse my unattractive finger! I also added seperate pictures of all three. The colors may be not 100% accurate, but they offer a little bit of comparison. Enjoy!

Another question, if anyone knows or has an opinion - is fancy purplish pink better than fancy pink, or not? It seems that from my reading on the net that purplish pink is better than fancy pink with no modifiers, and fancy orangish pink is a step below, but my Japanese dealer said the plain fancy pink is best and the two modified pinks are equal and one step below. Maybe that's in Japan....Aaah, the never-ending questions! Lol. None of these rings are vivid or intense, which are clearly the best......

Thanks again!

HI all!
gajl- congratulations on the lovely ring!!!

A lot of nice discussion here- a very important point raised- the physical appearance of the diamond makes a HUGE difference in the price- especially with Pink.
In general, Fancy Purplish Pink is not worth any less than Fancy Pink. Fancy Orangy Pink is indeed generally less than Fancy Pink ( or FPP)
Strange because Orange is like purple in that it's a rare color in diamonds- possibly more rare if we're speaking "pure" orange.
But a good explaination of this disparity is that purple will not make a pink "less" pink- while orange may take the color someplace "less" pink.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1342995177|3238257 said:
Fancy intense pink goes somewhere between $40-55k for 0.5 ct so you basically paid only 1/10 of market average.

Absolutely right Kenny. There was a .50ish FIP cushion floating around about 8 months ago. It had a full report from GIA that graded it SI2. This was a very borderline SI2. When I saw the diamond I was really surprised with the SI2 grade, but not at the $10,000 asking price. The diamond looked liked God himself had put his cigar out on it. Nasty black carbon peppered throughout. On paper it looked too good to be true; a half carat FIP SI2 for 10k. But as everyone knows if it looks too good to be...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1343176110|3239369 said:
kenny|1342995177|3238257 said:

Absolutely right Kenny. There was a .50ish FIP cushion floating around about 8 months ago. It had a full report from GIA that graded it SI2. This was a very borderline SI2. When I saw the diamond I was really surprised with the SI2 grade, but not at the $10,000 asking price. The diamond looked liked God himself had put his cigar out on it. Nasty black carbon peppered throughout. On paper it looked too good to be true; a half carat FIP SI2 for 10k. But as everyone knows if it looks too good to be...

Great description! :lol:

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hi, AquaD,

I haven't been on this forum for a whole, so I didn't realize there were any new posts. I just happened on them today. Thank you for your input. I believe I got a smoking deal, so it's good to hear you think so too. Thank you!

lilybride

Rough_Rock
6800USD is crazy good price for the diamond. I have been looking for an Argyle diamond to be sett in one of my platinum ring, and the best price I got for Fancy intense purplish pink diamond is around 40000USD, just the stone. It is a very gorgeous radiant cut Diamond, and surely the value of it will go up in the years to come, but still I'm quite hesitant about the price.

Great information about the Argyles by the way:)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I'd update with an observation about the "Argyle food chain", or which Argyle diamonds get what.

The output of the mine is declining, and it is expected they'll shut down in a few years.
The Argyle Tender auction offers the best of the years output and 2012's auction included many diamonds that were smaller, more included and of weaker color than ever before.

Lately I've even noticed some pinks with some brown "earn" an Argyle laser inscription AND certificate.
Not that I blame them but I think Argyle is just trying to maximize their profit by trying to keep the feeding frenzy going even as the food declines in quality.
This waters down the panache of the Argyle brand IMHO.
Twenty years from now, or even now, a laser inscription, a certificate or even a Tender box will drive up the price when the diamond itself may be less desirable than an earlier-mined pink with no such blessings from the Argyle marketing machine.

For instance, this 0.17 ct Fancy Brown Pink SI2 got both an Argyle laser inscription AND an Argyle Certificate, and lists for $2,150. :-o :-o :-o
Four years ago my 0.27 Fancy Deep Purplish Pink Emerald cut VVS1 above only got an inscription.
It wasn't good enough (compared to what else the mine was producing) to warrant the coveted Argyle Certificate.
(Not that I'm bitter, jealous or grumpy, or anything.) :lol:

Imagine tiny brown, opaque specs they'll offer in the 2017 Argyle Tender ... to great fanfare and high prices of course. :roll:
That might be the best year to sell my Pink. :naughty:

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/10502.htm

fbp_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like desperation to keep demand and pricing up to me. :nono:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Agree, Chrono. Disappointing.

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hi, everyone,

Thank you for the further information and comments. Yes, I keep hearing that Argyle will be closing in a few years, so I feel very fortunate to have gotten some fancy pinks before that happens and before prices go up, which I feel they will. I'm very happy to hear that some people think I got a great deal - thank you, lilybride. Of course, my diamond is just fancy pink, and I know the vivid modifier adds a lot of value. But my getting a ring with over a half-carat stone in my price range was very lucky I think. I'd never be able to afford a vivid in that size! =)
Kenny, so do you think stones with Argyle number laser inscriptions may become more valuable in the future? Unfortunately, mine don't have certificates, they all came second-hand to the dealer and as Argyle said, if you don't know the original owner, you can't get the certificate. I know Chrono said anyone can inscribe anything, but as I said, my vendor is reputable and I am sure everything I have bought is legit. He doesn't deal in any treated or altered stones. They are very picky in Japan.
Anyway, if pink-browns are rating inscriptions and certificates now, doesn't that mean that fancy pinks (and the various saturations) that are truly pink will go up in value, as supply can't meet demand? I am hoping so! I know each stone has its own value based on its appearance, I am just talking in generalities.
Oh, btw, Kenny, in my first posts I mentioned a sorting card, but I was wrong, it wasn't frm Argyle, it was from the vendor. And I am in awe of your FCD collection! :love:

Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricing of all pinks seem to have gone up. I think even non Argyl pinks that are graded as fancy and up will see a price increase.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemandjewelrylover|1356938082|3343357 said:
Hi, everyone,

Thank you for the further information and comments. Yes, I keep hearing that Argyle will be closing in a few years, so I feel very fortunate to have gotten some fancy pinks before that happens and before prices go up, which I feel they will. I'm very happy to hear that some people think I got a great deal - thank you, lilybride. Of course, my diamond is just fancy pink, and I know the vivid modifier adds a lot of value. But my getting a ring with over a half-carat stone in my price range was very lucky I think. I'd never be able to afford a vivid in that size! =)
Kenny, so do you think stones with Argyle number laser inscriptions may become more valuable in the future? Unfortunately, mine don't have certificates, they all came second-hand to the dealer and as Argyle said, if you don't know the original owner, you can't get the certificate. I know Chrono said anyone can inscribe anything, but as I said, my vendor is reputable and I am sure everything I have bought is legit. He doesn't deal in any treated or altered stones. They are very picky in Japan.
Anyway, if pink-browns are rating inscriptions and certificates now, doesn't that mean that fancy pinks (and the various saturations) that are truly pink will go up in value, as supply can't meet demand? I am hoping so! I know each stone has its own value based on its appearance, I am just talking in generalities.
Oh, btw, Kenny, in my first posts I mentioned a sorting card, but I was wrong, it wasn't frm Argyle, it was from the vendor. And I am in awe of your FCD collection! :love:

Thank you!

Thanks.

Knowing the original owner, or even being the original owner, does not get you an Argyle certificate.
I tried on mine, and failed.
If it did every pink would have the Argyle laser inscription and cert.
Even with the help of the seller, Leibish, who may be Argyle's largest buyer, Argyle makes the decision on which pinks get certificates and it's final.
(Perhaps you are referring to a replacement cert for a pink that had a cert, but the cert is lost.)

And yes, though I'm clearly biased, I DO believe Argyle pinks with the laser inscription and cert will be worth more, but you pay more for them when new so maybe the increase in value percentage-wise is a wash.
Again, keep in mind we must buy at retail price but sell at wholesale price so even an Argyle pink should not be depended on as an investment.
If you DO insist on dabbling in them as an investment please view an Argyle pink diamond as a very long term investment, and when it comes to the price limit it to a very small percentage of your overall portfolio.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
I honestly believe that 10 years after the mine closes argyle certs and inscriptions will mean very little in regards to price. Rio Tinto has done an amazing job branding and marketing these little pink beauties. Right now people are paying a huge premium for that brand, like 30% and up, regardless of what the stone looks like. A perfect example is that .17ct brown mess for $2100. I believe and hope that we will again base price/value on appearance, not geography.

Don't get me wrong, many argyle stones have an amazing unique color that is truly deserving of said premium, but some are average (or below) and I feel people are throwing away money buying those stones hoping for a nice return just because it's an "argyle"

TL;DR Anon believes the market will settle and a stones value will be based on appearance, not certification/inscription.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1356969994|3343587 said:
I honestly believe that 10 years after the mine closes argyle certs and inscriptions will mean very little in regards to price. Rio Tinto has done an amazing job branding and marketing these little pink beauties. Right now people are paying a huge premium for that brand, like 30% and up, regardless of what the stone looks like. A perfect example is that .17ct brown mess for $2100. I believe and hope that we will again base price/value on appearance, not geography.

Don't get me wrong, many argyle stones have an amazing unique color that is truly deserving of said premium, but some are average (or below) and I feel people are throwing away money buying those stones hoping for a nice return just because it's an "argyle"

TL;DR Anon believes the market will settle and a stones value will be based on appearance, not certification/inscription.

Couldn't agree more! I had this conversation with Chrono a while ago. I will not buy an Argyle for precisely this reason as I've found lovely pinks elsewhere that don't carry the mark up but are just as beautiful!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1356969994|3343587 said:

Silly or not, clearly the Argyle mine closing is causing a feeding frenzy.
But that does not mean an Argyle source will not give a diamond prestige in 50 years.
Origin, and the unique gemological properties imparted, drives up the price of emeralds from Muzo Columbia, paraiba tourmaline from Brazil, ruby from Mogok Burma, sapphire from Kashmir and diamond from Golconda.
I've been told that there are experts who can tell if a pink is from Argyle or not; they don't need laser inscriptions or certs.

I doubt Argyle closing will diminish the price premium it pinks command. (God only knows about the 0.17 Brown Pinks with inscription and cert)
And in fact, imagine if stones from all of these unique sources had been controlled, numbers with special certs all along.
I think Argyle was brilliant to control, mark and market their pinks.

If dumb people pay too much because of hype today, there will be dumb people in 2022 who will pay too much because of hype.
People vary.
Some are dumb.
I KNOW lots of people think I'm dumb for buying FCDs, and maybe I'm dumb to have bought a real Argyle pink four years ago.
Lots think buying any white diamond is dumb and not worth it.

Speaking of perception of worth I have to bring up cellphones.
I see ZILLLLLLLIONS overpaying obscene amounts for cellphones and plans, even thousands per year.
I have a $19 cellphone.
I prepay $100 for 1000 minutes that last a year.
That comes out to 10 cents a minute or $8.33 cents a month.

If people want a kitchen sink in their phone and want to pay thousands per year for it that's fine and their business, but my point is people are very easily convinced something is worth LOTS more than someone else thinks it's worth.

People overpay to get the Tiffany brand too ... so "throwing away money just because it's an "Argyle" may not be throwing money away after all.
Perhaps not to you but to some, actually many, buyers a brand adds legit value.
That said I personally would not buy at Tiffany, but I was willing to pay the price for a real Argyle pink.

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hello, again,

Yes, Kenny, I agree, a lot of people pay a premium for branded items and luxury goods such as Louis Vuitton bags and expensive cars, most of which sell for a fraction of what they paid when they resell them. On the other hand, I hear about people who bought Brazilian Paraiba tourmalines and FCDs 10-20 years ago at a price that is a fraction of the price today. So in my mind, As long as you are paying a reasonable price now, it makes getting pink diamonds and good stones now a good investment. I have no use for fancy bags, I would never waste money on them, but I feel putting money into good stones at good prices is a wise move, for a long term investment.

Maybe the Argyle inscription won't make that much difference in the future. Maybe to some people it will - like the Vuitton bags. But since the quality and quantity of pinks being mined is diminishing, it only makes sense to me to get them NOW, before the supply goes down more and prices go up. My budget is very modest, so I really have to get a good price to buy, but if the quality is good in relation to the price, then I'll go for it. But I feel I have gotten good deals, like the ring that started this post, so I don't feel dumb buying them. And I don't think you are either, Kenny. I think your red diamond will just go up up up in value, since they are so rare. Does anyone agree?

Yes, Kenny, I meant getting the original certificate for the laser-inscribed stones that I have, which came to the dealer second-hand from a vendor. So none of us knows who the original owner was, therefore I can't track down if there was a certificate or not. Who knows, maybe they didn't have any to begin with. On yours, it's Argyle and inscribed but you couldn't get the certificate? Did it come with one? I would think Leibish would provide it if it had one. hmmm.

I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions, thank you!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemandjewelrylover|1356989051|3343886 said:
Yes, Kenny, I meant getting the original certificate for the laser-inscribed stones that I have, which came to the dealer second-hand from a vendor. So none of us knows who the original owner was, therefore I can't track down if there was a certificate or not. Who knows, maybe they didn't have any to begin with. On yours, it's Argyle and inscribed but you couldn't get the certificate? Did it come with one? I would think Leibish would provide it if it had one.

Since anyone in the industry knows an Argyle cert adds value I really doubt one would get lost any more than a GIA report would get lost.
If it was lost I'd guess a previous customer lost it.

Chances are your inscribed Argyle pinks did not have Argyle certs.
One way to make a bit of an educated guess is to look at the GIA report date and the size and Color grade.

Wikipedia says Argyle opened in 1983 and output peaked in 1994 and I think we can use these dates to speculate on the odds of your pinks having Argyle certs.
It seems reasonable to me that the closer your GIA report date is to peak output in 1994 the less likely it is that there was also an Argyle cert.
Next, the larger and closer to Vivid the color is the more likely it is that there was an Argyle cert.

Since you asked, my 0.27 ct VVS1 Fancy Deep Purplish Pink Emerald cut with a GIA report date of Jan 2009 had an Argyle inscription but no cert.
I asked Leibish and they said it did not come with a cert, there never was a cert, and there is no way to get one as they have tried before.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results