shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink accent diamonds on pave?

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
I've commissioned a relatively simple six-prong solitaire setting with pave diamonds along the shank for my engagement ring. I've intentionally kept the design simple as my girlfriend would love to be surprised by the ring. However, I still find myself wanting to add additional touches to the ring to give it more personality, and thought of adding three pink diamond stones to the end of each row of pave at 5 and 7 o'clock on the shank (the center stone being placed at 12).

Has anyone commissioned a similar setting? If so, would you have pics? Other thoughts would be appreciated as well.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamond_newbie15|1464708404|4038483 said:
I've commissioned a relatively simple six-prong solitaire setting with pave diamonds along the shank for my engagement ring. I've intentionally kept the design simple as my girlfriend would love to be surprised by the ring. However, I still find myself wanting to add additional touches to the ring to give it more personality, and thought of adding three pink diamond stones to the end of each row of pave at 5 and 7 o'clock on the shank (the center stone being placed at 12).

Has anyone commissioned a similar setting? If so, would you have pics? Other thoughts would be appreciated as well.

I think it's great that you've kept it simple for her -- hard to go wrong with classic/timeless styles. That said, it's also cool to add a little touch here and there for fun... but, pink diamonds at 5 & 7 won't be seen, as the sides of her finger will hide them. If you wanted to do pink diamonds (or a touch of pink), you could offer to give her a stacker band with them in rose gold in addition to her wedding band -- or even do rose and white metal with pink stones in her wedding band if she'd like.

Lovely engraving on the inside of her ring is a nice, sentimental touch as well. It could be anything from an important date, a phrase you like to say to one another, or even a pet name or something that only the two of you would understand. :))

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock
Maybe consider setting a pink stone inside the band? I have my birthstone and my husband's set inside my ring, and I love having that personal touch. Not sure why the photo is upside down, but you get the idea!

_3916.jpeg

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
I think it's great that you've kept it simple for her -- hard to go wrong with classic/timeless styles. That said, it's also cool to add a little touch here and there for fun... but, pink diamonds at 5 & 7 won't be seen, as the sides of her finger will hide them.

Hiding these diamonds was half of the idea. That way, the ring remains relatively conservative and discreet but she gets to enjoy the extra color and flair. These pink diamonds would be for her enjoyment only.

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
Maybe consider setting a pink stone inside the band? I have my birthstone and my husband's set inside my ring, and I love having that personal touch. Not sure why the photo is upside down, but you get the idea!

I've thought of this too, but I'm paranoid of adding additional pave stones on the inside since there's already pave along the outer part of the shank. I would also like to leave 5-7 o'clock on the shank alone in case I may need to have the ring resized in the future. This would have been a great idea if I got a cleaner setting!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamond_newbie15|1464715099|4038530 said:
I think it's great that you've kept it simple for her -- hard to go wrong with classic/timeless styles. That said, it's also cool to add a little touch here and there for fun... but, pink diamonds at 5 & 7 won't be seen, as the sides of her finger will hide them.

Hiding these diamonds was half of the idea. That way, the ring remains relatively conservative and discreet but she gets to enjoy the extra color and flair. These pink diamonds would be for her enjoyment only.

I totally get where you're going with this... my only concern would be that it may prove difficult for her to enjoy them if she can't see them most of the time. ;)) Have you thought of maybe adding a pop of pink in the basket -- with a pink stone or with RG? I know I enjoyed having the extra "sparkle" in my honey zircon solitaire ring. I could always see the basked and catch flashes of the diamonds when most could not... I would recommend using a touch of RG to highlight the pink diamonds, should you choose to use them -- otherwise, they will likely be lost in the white metal. (unless they were really vivid pink, which would be $$$$$)

Here is a pic of my zircon ring for reference. It is set in 14K unplated WG with 18K RG basket/prongs.
From the top and from most normal viewing (for others, mostly), it looked like a plain solitaire...
imageuploadedbytapatalk1434819730.jpg

But this is what I got to enjoy!
imageuploadedbytapatalk1434816535.jpg imageuploadedbytapatalk1434819253.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about like this.

stevenkirschinc_1259669837199589009_583120910.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1464716442|4038540 said:
How about like this.

Perfect example! I love how the pink diamonds are set in RG to enhance and compliment their color.

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the additional thoughts and suggestions, but part of my concern is that the work order is already under way so I'm hesitant to substantially revise the design. I'd have to begin the process anew with a new design to incorporate elements like rose gold or a more substantial basket, and the pink diamonds do not justify this since they should be an "extra" rather than a feature of the ring. More importantly, I want to keep the design as-is because my girlfriend has previously expressed her affection for the classic Tiffany setting.

But it appears that most of the board thinks that adding pink diamonds at 5 and 7 o'clock might be a little of a waste. Would adding two pink diamonds laterally on the ring that forms the base of the basket be a better idea? I was initially thinking that I would keep the pink diamonds away from the main stone since it's a relatively high color grade (F). Perhaps I'm thinking of it wrong?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamond_newbie15|1464718715|4038555 said:
I appreciate the additional thoughts and suggestions, but part of my concern is that the work order is already under way so I'm hesitant to substantially revise the design. I'd have to begin the process anew with a new design to incorporate elements like rose gold or a more substantial basket, and the pink diamonds do not justify this since they should be an "extra" rather than a feature of the ring. More importantly, I want to keep the design as-is because my girlfriend has previously expressed her affection for the classic Tiffany setting.

But it appears that most of the board thinks that adding pink diamonds at 5 and 7 o'clock might be a little of a waste. Would adding two pink diamonds laterally on the ring that forms the base of the basket be a better idea? I was initially thinking that I would keep the pink diamonds away from the main stone since it's a relatively high color grade (F). Perhaps I'm thinking of it wrong?

Can you post a photo of the ring you're having made? From what you describe, it may be best to place them on the inside of the band. The pink will likely be lost in all white metal... I really feel like they need RG to be noticeable.

If you add them to the base of the basket, the wedding band will likely rub on them and cover them up.

As far as the pink diamonds near the center... those diamonds will be so small, I don't think it will matter at all, esp since don't want to do the RG with them.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a girlfriend who got small pink alternating diamonds as part of her pave work. The thing is with this (since they're set in platinum and very small), it's a bit hard to see them though they ARE pink if you know to look for them! It's beautiful.

Her wedding band is the same. Alternating white and pink.

My own wedding band I designed to have pink diamonds in the centre... Fading out to lighter pinks then white stones... with the pinks set in rose gold in the centre. Even then (they go from 4pp to 7pp from memory) with the stones at 3.5 points which is significantly larger than her ~1 pointers, it's not that obvious though that could be in part be due to my ering obscuring that section of the band. When I wear the band alone the pink is obvious and I love it but it's not screaming 'in your face' kind of pink. For the number of people who have looked at my rings while being worn, I'd say only 20% have gone... Wait... Is that pink?

if you're doing them on your ering, I would say go for it as you've planned but don't alternate them with white. Put a few of them together so the colour is a bit stronger (they get lost easily when that size admist the white ones). And set them in rose gold if remotely possible! I love the sound of your design- do post back with whatever you decide to do!!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
image_224.jpg

This is a photo of my wedding band with my BGD studs for reference. This is as dark as the pinks ever look (they are often much more subtle than that, depending on lighting).

Perhaps you could put pinks from the 4 and 8 o'clock positions rather than 5 and 7 if there are concerns about them being hidden? IMO 5 and 7 will be partially hidden but if you're doing a few of them it could work... Might depend on how big the pave are...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pinks will be pricey and and if set in a white metal, will look even lighter and difficult to tell apart from white / colourless diamonds.

diamond_newbie15

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the matter. This board is full of so much enthusiasm, continuing to visit it remains educational and fun even though I'm pretty much done with the ring purchasing process. And I personally care very little for jewelry!

From the replies, it sounds like there's really not much I can do about maximizing the presence and value of the pink diamonds unless I'm willing to substantially change the design of the ring. Unfortunately, I am not willing to do this since the ring will be a surprise and the integrity of the original design is the most important factor for me.

Anyway, I've reached out to my ring maker and requested a single pink diamond (rather than three) at the end of each row of pave at 5 and 7 o'clock. The cost was indeed expensive for two, small melee diamonds but not in consideration of the entire cost of the ring (probably increased the total cost by a little more than 1%). I understand that these diamonds will be hard to really notice, but I think it's something my girlfriend will appreciate and love nevertheless. I'm planning on not even mentioning them to her, and seeing how long it takes for her to notice. She's handled thousands of stones in her life as she's a former diamond grader at Tiffany's and a current gemologist at GIA, so probably not long!

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I love the idea and think it will be beautiful! I would want them at 5 and 7 o'clock as you're doing it. I like things that are special but hidden.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think putting them at 5 and 7 o'clock will be really beautiful, and especially since your GF is so familiar with stones/jewelry she will appreciate that it's unique and something "just for her" that is somewhat hidden from everyone else. It shows how much thought you put into this, and is very sweet. I bet she'll be thrilled!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results