Pictures of two emeralds I'm considering

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Open to any and all feedback please!

#1is $12,500. AGL. 1.38 No origin. Not filled 20210222_163007.jpg

#2 is $11,900. AGL. .87 Columbian origin. Not filled. 0.87cts-emerald.jpg

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
They are gorgeous :kiss2: :kiss2: . I am stunned by the prices, but in all fairness I have never shopped for an emerald and do understand that un-treated emeralds are rare that are this clean. I'm sure others who actually know what they are talking about will chime in.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
They are gorgeous :kiss2: :kiss2: . I am stunned by the prices, but in all fairness I have never shopped for an emerald and do understand that un-treated emeralds are rare that are this clean. I'm sure others who actually know what they are talking about will chime in.

I am stunned too - and also a first time emerald shopper - happy to have the input of more experiences PSers. I started out w a 6K budget .....

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Following because holy prices, Batman!
But they're so beauutifulll.
Learning time! :bigsmile:

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Following because holy prices, Batman!
But they're so beauutifulll.
Learning time! :bigsmile:

Seriously! Hoping people will here will able to to tell me if I'm in the right ballpark or getting taken advantage of!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not an expert by any means and hopefully some will chime in soon but the first one is way too expensive for likely non columbian origin imo. The second one I would not want to pay anywhere near that for less than a carat. I guess the fact that they are very clean is pushing those prices up but still eeek. Have you looked at estate pieces? I can’t help thinking you might get more bang for your buck buying something (with a lab report of course) and then resetting.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I would choose #2, the stone has that Columbian 'glow'...as for price, I dunno. The stone is incredibly clean!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have emeralds from Russia, Colombia, and Panjshir. They cost waaaay less, but were not as clean as these, but the inclusions are not obvious at all. For comparison, Yvonne has a Russian one right now, 1.13 ct for $10,000/ct. I guess it depends on what you want. Origin, color, size...

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Ouch at those prices! And they are rather small too. What about a happy medium and going for minor oiling, no surface fissures? I personally like some glowy jardin in emeralds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me to spend that kind of $$ on the first one, I would require a Columbian origin on a reputable lab report like AGL, GRS, SDEF or GIA.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one. Love the glow!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no expertise with emeralds, but perhaps untreated emeralds that good are very rare.
In that sense it's a bit like FCDs with top color/clarity and GIA reports, something I have a bit of experience with.
Lack of comps results in lack of certainty as to a "fair" value.

So you gotta evaluate how reputable you feel the seller is and, frankly, how much money you gots, and how much you just want the stone.
Sometimes really exceptional stones just sell fast even when they are $$$$$$$$ - so, you snooze and you lose.

Perhaps make them an offer.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
For me to spend that kind of $$ on the first one, I would require a Columbian origin on a reputable lab report like AGL, GRS, SDEF or GIA.

They both come with AGL reports as no enhancement...

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock

I bought a vintage emerald ring from this seller. This $1600 ring was one of the ones I was looking at, but decided on something less expensive. No certs or anything although the seller claims to be a gemologist. Reputation is good, seller is US, and returns are free so I thought I would have a look. I should be getting mine on Thursday. Obviously this is a treated emerald. The emerald I picked has better color, but is more translucent vs transparent.

joycece

Rough_Rock

I bought a vintage emerald ring from this seller. This $1600 ring was one of the ones I was looking at, but decided on something less expensive. No certs or anything although the seller claims to be a gemologist. Reputation is good, seller is US, and returns are free so I thought I would have a look. I should be getting mine on Thursday. Obviously this is a treated emerald. The emerald I picked has better color, but is more translucent vs transparent.

Whatttt, I am watching a ring from this seller too. How was your ring? does it look like just the picture? The minimal descriptions he given on his items makes me a little worry

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Don't order from him. It wasn't a scam, but the ring is very ordinary. I started the return process.

Could you share a photo? Curious about the difference irl for the stone.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I also bought a ring from this seller. He claimed to be a gemologist. It was unfortunately a "learning experience" for me and luckily not too expensive but he's not honest about the actual condition of his pieces. The ring I purchased had oval stones in round heads and one of the stones was visually chipped (likely due to pressure from the misplaced prong). He was a tough personality and became argumentative about the condition when I had pictures demonstrating the issues. It wasn't super expensive and I liked the ring design so I let him talk me out of a return. I still have days where I debate whether I should have returned it.

He has some nice pieces so I often second guess myself since I am addicted to finding good deals but I just can't buy from him again... Just my 2 cents...

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
My photo is actually its most attractive angle and lighting. I've never seen a gemstone which looks worse in better light. There are also small chips on one side. 20210306_205126.jpg

I can see why you want to return it. I have seen this seller before and been curious about the items. Glad to have some input about the seller! As for the two emeralds above they are lovely but want to I do origin for the first. Another PSer recently posted about her emerald. Struggling to remember will try to tag her.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It was @lindy520 who bought an untreated emerald.

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
I can see why you want to return it. I have seen this seller before and been curious about the items. Glad to have some input about the seller! As for the two emeralds above they are lovely but want to I do origin for the first. Another PSer recently posted about her emerald. Struggling to remember will try to tag her.

He sent a return label without issue, so hopefully this will be easy.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I also bought a ring from this seller. He claimed to be a gemologist. It was unfortunately a "learning experience" for me and luckily not too expensive but he's not honest about the actual condition of his pieces. The ring I purchased had oval stones in round heads and one of the stones was visually chipped (likely due to pressure from the misplaced prong). He was a tough personality and became argumentative about the condition when I had pictures demonstrating the issues. It wasn't super expensive and I liked the ring design so I let him talk me out of a return. I still have days where I debate whether I should have returned it.

He has some nice pieces so I often second guess myself since I am addicted to finding good deals but I just can't buy from him again... Just my 2 cents...

Sorry this happened to you. Talking someone out of a return is a very poor business practice, regardless of the price. It’s a matter of principle

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been casually looking for an emerald for over a year now and I’m still surprised with how expensive they can be. Have you checked out Muzoemeralds on Instagram? I’ve seen some ”no oil” emeralds on his feed (linking one below). They aren’t cheap but they were a LOT less than the two you shared above.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKO8LpBsZmt/?igshid=c7zctc3r8mu3

Are you committed to “no oil?” Most emeralds are treated and I think you could get an amazing emerald with “minimal” or “minor” treatment. If it’s a mind clean thing, I totally understand.

lindy520

Rough_Rock
To the OP: agree with previous postings that the price on the first stone is only in the ballpark if Columbian in origin.
In my [limited] opinion, the second stone is beautiful. It may darken a bit when set (remember that when looking at loose emeralds.) It's pricey for the size based on what I was seeing about 4-5 months ago. But, it's not easy to find an untreated stone...I had to swallow hard when I wrote the check for my stone, but it was love at first sight!

briolette

Shiny_Rock
I'd go with the Columbian-- better color, it won't darken when set, and also the meet points in the faceting and symmetry is better (I cut gemstones, BTW). The other one's cutting is not great (and that's just from the top, who knows what the pavilion looks like). I would not pay $12k for that stone.

Do you have more photos from the vendor? Or better yet, a video?

For an untreated stone that is that clean, I would expect higher prices per carat, especially for the Columbian stone. There's a premium on that origin. However this stone is under 1ct. It's a little high, IMO. I would shop around more. You can find Columbian colored emeralds from Brazil and even Zambia if that's the shade you want.

I've used this vendor before. Maybe check them out: https://www.emeralds.com/emeralds/?page=1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results