shape
carat
color
clarity

Pictures of old and new gems with iPhone

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've read many people here mention that their iPhone takes better pictures than their camera. Well, I decided to test this out, and it is indeed true in my case. The colors in my pictures are _finally_ correct. I will post pictures of my red spinel, color-change sapphire, and opal below.

The only caveat is that my iPhone is black, and you can its reflection in all the photos :( . I'll have to redo these at some point with a white cover.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The second is a color change peach-pink Umba sapphire. I apologize for the blurry pics. The first picture is in the shade, with the iPhone directly over it. Unfortunately my iPhone is black, and you can see it's reflection in the pic :rodent:. The second is from further away, with more natural light. It turns a delicate pink-pink, and is quite brilliant. At night, under fluorescent lights, the pink takes over (I could not capture this). I like this stone best in natural light and at night.

peachsapphire_jarcrop.png

peachsapphire1crop.png

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Finally, this is my Welo opal. This pic is again in natural light.

opal1crop.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The red spinel picture is great. The focus is sharp, the details are captured and colour looks red with a purple modifier. Is that so in person? The Malaia garnet is no slouch either but needs to be focused. I have a black iPhone too so I try not to get too close to the stones being photographed.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, the spinel just looks red to me, but Martin Fuller said that it is just one shade purple of red using GIA color stones to grade it. He thought it was just red too before he used his set of stones. I absolutely love this stone, and am so happy I was finally able to capture it. You must have a good eye to see the purple modifier. This is the red I was looking for.

For second stone definitely looks like a Malaia, but it's actually a color-shift Umba sapphire. I love this one too, and want to set it in a pink gold halo. I am going to place it loosely in a halo first to make sure it does not interfere with the pink being expressed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My apologies for not reading that it is a sapphire, not a garnet. Even better since it is more durable, yet has the colour shift property. Just saw the opal and my first thought is "it is an egg". :oops:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The opal does look very round there. I think it's because it's so magnified. The bottom is actually flat, like a standard cabochon. I'm hoping to find 2 more opals to make earrings, but am having trouble finding ones that match this one.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE that spinel! Beautiful colour. :love: :love: Also like your other two, I think I remember when you got the Umba, if it's from PT? I have a very similar one. :) It's always fun to take the gems out and play with them again, isn't it?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All your stones are lovely, but I too, especially like your spinel. The curious thing is that while it appears that you've finally gotten the color of the stone accurate, your hand has turned a purply shade of pink! Cameras are so curious to me. :confused:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the comments on the stones. The pictures are completely untouched, except for cropping. Based on the blurriness of the sapphire, I need to keep the stone further from my hand, like I did with the spinel, or the camera will focus on my hand and not the stone. Now I know I should stick to the iPhone versus my Canon ELF.

I also finally see the purple component in the spinel, which Chrono and Martin Fuller picked up on. After looking at "red" paint chips today, I see it now too. Gem collecting is fascinating in that it's made me see color and photography in a different way.

I'm also sitting here looking at my hands, and the palm-side of my fingers is pretty pink/red. The tips of my fingers, especially my thumb, are more pink/purple. The back side of my hand is light colored, but my knuckles are more pink.

Yes, the Umba sapphire is from Peter Toracca. The Welo opal is from Barry at ACS, and the spinel is from Bruce Bridges. If you look at at the pictures of the spinel, I would say these pics are accurate for natural light. The stone does very well outside, probably because it has weak fluorescence. Bruce's pics in the other thread are accurate for inside. My Canon makes red look orangy, so my pictures in the other thread are not quite accurate.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Your Spinel makes me very happy! :))
~Justin

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that red spinel is absolutely fabulous! thats my favorite color. Gah, Im in move :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

ksmom

Shiny_Rock
Add me to your spinel's growing list of admirers! Just beautiful! :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks JC, nielseel, and ksmom.

I will try to take better pics of the Umba sapphire. I'm hoping my photo journey may help other people.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you going to tape a sheet of white paper with a hole for the camera lens onto your iPhone?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, that is a great idea.

Alas, it is the perfect overcast day, but my husband has his iPhone. :(( He thinks I'm a hoot because I stopped using our camera and instead go after his phone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahem....it means it's time to get your own iPhone. :bigsmile: You don't even need the internet or telephone service. :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results