shape
carat
color
clarity

Pictures and story of the process of my engagement ring

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Hello ladies,
Per Maebelle's suggestion, I started a new post to put my pictures and such about my engagement ring we are having made.

The BF and I live in Los Angeles County (not to be confused with actually living in the city of Los Angeles) and since what I want my ring to look like is pretty specific, we went down the road of having it custom made. Luckily, his cousin knows a jeweler who works at the jewelry district in Downtown LA so we made contact with him shortly after we made our first official "trying on rings" shopping trip.

It was so thrilling! I could finally pounce on the pretty large sapphire rings and try on to my hearts desire and look all I want without feeling bad that the BF was just standing there being bored. I honestly was a little scared when we first went because with all of the valuable information I have been given from the fantastic Price Scope forum, I had never actually seen in real life what "zoning" was on a sapphire, or a "bowtie" or anything like that. I knew what it was supposed to look like, but I wasn't sure I would be able to pick those out in real life. But once we got to the store and started looking, the owner actually got involved after her heard me tell the saleswoman that I didn't want any beryllium treated sapphires and the most treatment I would accept was very little heat treating. When they also showed me antique cushion cut sapphires, I was so pleased to know that I right away could tell which stones were a little to purple or dark for my liking and how my heart skipped a beat at the gorgeous cornflower blue sapphires. I also could see right away what people meant by "bowties" and such. It really gave me a boost of confidence.

In any case, from that initial shopping trip I decided that I love a halo setting with notched edges, and I definitely DO want lots of bling on the setting. Here is a picture from the trip where I decided on the overall shape of the setting. (Note in the second picture she popped in a sapphire that fit just so I could see the overall effect.) photo-11_0.jpg ETA: Excuse my giant vienna sausage fingers. I am a size 6 3/4 and I cant' believe how dry my hands were! Sorry!

The next two are with a sapphire in the size I want and a side view of the setting. photo-12.jpg photo-13.jpg

The next day the BF called up the jeweler, told him what we were looking for, send a couple of pictures and he went on to procure sapphires from friends from other shops in downtown as well as around the country so that I would have a variety to look at. So went, after deliberation I decided I wanted to see a few more, and then after THAT visit I choose my 2.5 stunner.

At the same appointment he took us to his cousins shop where they make custom settings. There were literally hundreds of waxes to choose from. However, we narrowed down to four waxes where I liked the top of one, the side view of another, the band of another and then I wanted a specific design on the basket and couldn't find it. When hope was almost lost, my darling BF pulls one out and says "I like this design" and it was the one! I was so happy he had found it, and I'll always remember that when I gaze at the ring.

So next he sent the CAD design, but you can't see where all the pretty diamonds will go because according to him "there were so many diamonds int the design it made my program crash" lol!! but I can use my imagination and I gave the go ahead on creating the gold. Here is a shot that pretty much shows all the angles. Clearly the prongs won't look like that and it will have diamonds everywhere.
ring%20CAD.jpg

So Tuesday we will go and see the gold and once I approve that, I am not allowed to know anything more about the ring.

It's been such an amazing experience and I can't wait til it's all mine!!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It's going to be beautiful - can't wait to see hand shots!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Thank you CentralSquare! Believe me, after Facebook this is the second place I will be posting pics!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
It really will be wonderful! I never realized there were stores that had waxes to look through, I always assumed it was CAD and then wax and then final casting.

I really can't wait to see the final product.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
@Maebelle I am not sure if stores have waxes to look through per se, I just know that since it was downtown, it was more of an office with various rooms where they did the custom work from. I wish I took pictures. It was pretty overwhelming to tell you the truth!

@Amy'sBling neither can I!!!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!! I love sapphire engagement rings! Can't wait to see the finished product!

I live in LA county too--I'm in the south bay, and my guy has been working with a jewler downtown too. Small world ;-)

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Tuffyluvr-What a coincidence! I think for those of us that live near the jewelry district, it's just the best choice all the way around.

We did go to approve the gold yesterday and it was soo nice to see it in real life :) The gold was solid, nice and heavy and our jewelry has some beautiful sparkly diamonds to use for the halo, shanks and basket. I am too excited!!

We did have a conversation regarding the diamond prices going up. I was telling him about this lovely forum and how some of you ladies were worried about not being able to get as much diamond for your buck and he said that this was unfortunately true. And what's even worse, he was saying that the most popular diamond sizes (.5 carats to about 1.75-2.0 carats) were going to be EVEN more expensive because they are in higher demand. So ladies tell you men to get on it before they REALLY get expensive!

Unfortunately I am not supposed to know anything more regarding the ring as I have to be surprised, so now I just have to patiently wait to finally have my precious ;-)

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I agree completely! With so many amazing jewelers downtown I can't fathom why anyone would go to those mall stores! Do you have any idea when your ring will be finished??? So exciting!!!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
@Tuffyluvr I am in complete agreement with you!

The jeweler said 10 days from the 3rd, so I assume it will be ready the 13-14th of this month, JUST in time for our anniversary on the 19th :naughty:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Squeeeeeeee!!!! That's so exciting!!! I hope your guy doesn't make you wait too long! :tongue:

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Soooooo....tomorrow is our anniversary and he is taking me away for the weekend to one of our favorite little spots to hang out :D

I hope to have hand shots of my ring if he chooses to propose and I will update this thread if there is news to tell :naughty:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
RebeccaMUA|1313735933|2994083 said:
Soooooo....tomorrow is our anniversary and he is taking me away for the weekend to one of our favorite little spots to hang out :D

I hope to have hand shots of my ring if he chooses to propose and I will update this thread if there is news to tell :naughty:

:appl:

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
So excited for you! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results