shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics of the ring

built240

Rough_Rock
Ring turned out great. I proposed on the 25th and of course she said yes. Did it over Pali lookout in hawaii. Here are a few pics. I got the ring from Yekutiel from ID jewelery. I think i got a great deal since it appraises at almost $17k and i got it for $9500The diamond seems like its a little off center in the setting. Im sure this is an easy fix, im going to send it back to have Yekutiel fix it. I had a few ?'s though

1.) Is it normal for an appraisal to be handwritten? I included a pic
2.) Is "brilliant" the same as "ideal" cut and is "square modified" mean "princess cut"

Here are some pics

appraisal.jpg

ring.jpg

bam.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would insure it for what you paid. The appraisal is just for the description. The value is inflated.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1338433376|3206546 said:
I would insure it for what you paid. The appraisal is just for the description.

Not only that, you bought it from them, thus it's not an independent appraisal, so I wouldn't go as far as to say it's such a great deal. 17K is inflated. The ring turned out lovely though.

Ditto Gypsy, insure it for what you paid.

built240

Rough_Rock
Here's a pic of the GIA cert

gia.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful! Congratulations!! Don't forget to start a SMTB thread!

Don't read too much into the appraisal. Gypsy is right, you should insure the ring for what you paid for it, otherwise you are paying too much. Appraisals that accompany your diamond are 'feel good' appraisals and are worth about as much as the paper they are written on. You really need to take the ring to an independent appraiser and have them do one for replacement value and then submit that one or your receipts to your insurance company.

more pics please!! :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also Brilliant is the faceting type. A diamond is step cut or brilliant cut or some combination of the two. Princesses are brilliant cuts. And yes square modified means princess.

built240

Rough_Rock
^^^ Oh ok. B/c I was told the 'cut' was Ideal cut but I didnt see the words Ideal anywhere on the GIA cert. here is an aset view pic and a few other pics

A friend of mine saw the ring and said its so shiny that it looks fake LOL but I knew since it was from IDJ there is no way I could get scammed or anything like that since they are one of the most reputable sponsors on here.

aset.jpg

aset1.jpg

ringg.jpg

ringgg.jpg

katiedub

Rough_Rock
def no need to eorry about that, IDJ does phenomenal, honest work. i was just given an eternity band from them by my husband that i absolutely love! i think you can rest assured that this ring is well made and will last a lifetime...it is beautiful!

built240

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1338435512|3206574 said:
Also Brilliant is the faceting type. A diamond is step cut or brilliant cut or some combination of the two. Princesses are brilliant cuts. And yes square modified means princess.

What is an SMTB thread?

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
It is gorgeous! Congrats! :appl:

SMTB is the "show me the bling" thread where people post photos of their new "bling" and we get to 'ooohh" and "aaaah!" over it :wink2:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/show-me-the-bling-rings-earrings-jewelry.8/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/show-me-the-bling-rings-earrings-jewelry.8/[/URL]

You may just want to hit the report concern button and ask the moderators to move it there. This post is pretty much a show and tell and may save you the time. Get ready for requests for more pics though!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats - great job on the ring! :) It's beautiful! Is that a Gabriel & Co setting?

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out gorgeous, I am so gold you went this route :love:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! And to make you feel better, GIA doesn't issue cut grades on fancy shapes - so it won't say Ideal on the cert. I would definitely have Patrick Davis (Culver City) or Charles Carmona (Downtown LA) do an appraisal with more specs so that you can make sure you get a comparable diamond in case anything should happen to this one (for insurance purposes).

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock
I don't know if its wise to insure it for what you paid. What if something happens in 5-10 years and the same diamond you bought is now 20% more? If you've only insured it for what you've paid, you will wind up getting a smaller check from the insurance company that won't even buy you the same stone.

if you use the inflated amount, you may pay a couple extra bucks a month but if something happens to the diamond you are going to get a much bigger check that could potentially buy you an even nicer stone.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
GMUAlum08|1340717477|3223773 said:
I don't know if its wise to insure it for what you paid. What if something happens in 5-10 years and the same diamond you bought is now 20% more? If you've only insured it for what you've paid, you will wind up getting a smaller check from the insurance company that won't even buy you the same stone.

if you use the inflated amount, you may pay a couple extra bucks a month but if something happens to the diamond you are going to get a much bigger check that could potentially buy you an even nicer stone.

What you do in that case is get it re-appraised in 5-10 years - the $75 appraisal fee is peanuts compared the increased yearly insurance premiums.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

What you do in that case is get it re-appraised in 5-10 years - the $75 appraisal fee is peanuts compared the increased yearly insurance premiums.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
webdiva|1340721343|3223794 said:

Agreed! I'd suggest having the ring reappraised every 5 years, or more often as diamond prices continue to rise. It doesn't make sense to pay premiums on twice the replacement value.

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock
webdiva|1340721327|3223793 said:

good call. i didn't even think about that.

state farm requires an appraisal for me to put the stone on my policy. can I send them the one i got from Good Old Gold? They appraised the stone at 3.5k more than I bought it.

Or should I get an independent appraisal?

hotskate

Shiny_Rock
GMUAlum08|1340732848|3223913 said:
webdiva|1340721327|3223793 said:

good call. i didn't even think about that.

state farm requires an appraisal for me to put the stone on my policy. can I send them the one i got from Good Old Gold? They appraised the stone at 3.5k more than I bought it.

Or should I get an independent appraisal?

independent appraisal!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think you'll need an independent appraisal for your insurance policy. My ring is insured through Chubb and I sent them the appraisal my jeweler wrote.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa whoa whoa...you spent all this time looking for your perfect eye clean I1 - if you go through state farm and something god forbid happens to the stone - they'll get you any I1. :o I'd recommend going with Chubb or Jeweler's Mutual who put you back in charge of picking your diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results