shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics of my stone and mounting, and my diamond buying experiences

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rogue

Shiny_Rock
Decided on a stone! Thanks to all those following my saga and helping me decide! Specs:

RB
G VS2
7.83-7.89 X 4.70 mm
Depth: 59.8% (59.7% Megascope)
Table: 59% (59.1% Megascope)
Crown angle: 32.5
Crown height: 13.5%
Pavilion ange: 41.2 (41 Megascope)
Pavilion depth: 43.5%
Star length: 55%
Lower half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
GIA cut grade: Excellent
HCA score per GIA specs: 2.1
HCA score per Megascope specs: 1.1

The stone:

This was purchased from Diamond Source of Virginia. I highly recommend - working with Denny Reinke, his wife Anne and their staff was a pleasure. Denny is super knowledgeable and answered all my technical, detailed questions extremely thoroughly. They find stones within your parameters and send you a list with the main stats, and then you narrow down what you want more information on. They scan you the certs and you further narrow. Once you decide which stone you want to see the most, they order the stone from the supplier, inspect it, describe it to the customer and if it meets expectations, ship it out to the customer (with a loop) for a 2 business day inspection. If you decide to keep it, you pay; if not, you return it FedEx with their insurance carrier. They pay the shipping costs both ways so there is absolutely nothing to lose. I was hesitant using a diamond broker because I was concerned about markup and thought I could just search various inventories myself, but they found so many stones I didn't see anywhere. And of the 20+ stones they found for me, two were on Blue Nile, and their prices were only like $200 or $300 more than the Blue Nile price (I believe they have a price matching too, if you bring up to them that you found the same stone somewhere for less). I also saw another stone for sale on another virtual website, but that stone was actually $200 more than the Diamond Source price. It was hard to find stones within the size range I wanted, but they did a great job.

I sent the first stone they sent me back to them because there was a ring of death effect. Then when I told them how DOCD I was, we made sure the HCA numbers were good, and they even took Idealscope and H&A photos for me. For a number of reasons, they don't normally use the IS and HCA in their business and analysis of stones, but when I told them it was important to me, they were happy to do this for me.

The mounting:

The mounting was a custom semi-mount from Wedding Ring Originals on Lexington Ave in New York. Big fan of Mel, the owner. He is knowledgeable, if not a bit old-school (i.e. depth and table matter more than pavilion angle). But rings, rather than stones, are their speciality. I explained that I wanted a fairly common ring--princess channel set--but with slight tweaks. We talked endlessly about prongs and heads and shanks and baskets and height and flush fits...very knowledgeable. We ended up with 20 G VS princess stones set to about 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock down the shank and using a low (about 6 mm from my finger) basket style setting with prongs inserted into the shank rather than originating from a central point.

So, pictures!

DSCN1177.JPG

rogue

Shiny_Rock

DSCN1180.JPG

rogue

Shiny_Rock

DSCN1182.JPG

rogue

Shiny_Rock

DSCN1211.JPG

rogue

Shiny_Rock

DSCN1197.JPG

rogue

Shiny_Rock

DSCN1202.JPG

rogue

Shiny_Rock

DSCN1205 - side view.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif
I hope a side view is coming, because I might want one, too! Haha! How many mm wide is that band? I like it! (And I have an appt. in a minute, so I might be awhile before getting back here)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, exactly how I''d want my head to look! It''s beautiful!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooh, very pretty! I love the head - it looks perfect!

BTW - what is your ring size? It looks HUGE on your hand!

Congrats!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a stunning ring. I love the setting too. YUMMO!!!
30.gif
30.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Beauuuuutiful! And I LOVE that head!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

rogue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! My ring size is a 4 (I normally wore 4.5 but Mel refused to make it bigger than 4 - "Sweetie, you're not a 4.5 - trust me, and if you're not comfortable with my sizing come back and I'll resize for free!"). We initially wanted to make the ring 2.5 mm wide, but the princess stones we wanted to use required a bigger channel, so it ended up about 2.75 mm. I love the head, I just hope we can make an eternity that sits flush with it!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
lovely ring

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
your ring is absolutely stunning! i love the channel set princesses on the sides!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~This ring is absolute perfection!! I love RBs
30.gif
and the princesses in the setting are gorgeous!! More pics!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Rogue, thanks for sharing. That''s a sweet looking diamond and ring. Congrats.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just gorgeous. Love that uninterruped wall of diamonds in the shank, and the beautiful center stone!!!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
very pretty, i just love that beautiful head!!!!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, it''s stunning!!! I LOVE that side view!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous diamond and gorgeous setting!!! You did good.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring and setting. I also Love the head.

Linda

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I love channel set PRs! It is a beautiful setting. I can''t wait to see the matching wedding band.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty-- I really like that head as well. Enjoy that beauty!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yummy
kicken 60/60 stone and awesome setting.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring is stunning!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Rogue ~
emrose.gif

Congratulations!
36.gif

Beautiful new ring!
30.gif

I
emlove.gif
love
emlove.gif
channel set princess diamonds ... so yummy!

Thanks for sharing and of course, you can post more
emphoto.gif
''s anytime!
2.gif

Have a wonderful day!
35.gif

rogue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!
36.gif
And I just bought my Sharper Image cleaner today...can''t wait to use it...

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
That is an exceptional setting and diamond combo! I really like the mix of round and square stones. I''m surprised it isn''t done more often.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results