shape
carat
color
clarity

pics of irridated blue diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cutechick0021

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have pics of irridated blue diamonds? thanks! :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Cutechick0021!

Here''s a shot showing a range of irradiated colors in melee ( small diamonds)

irradiated1a.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A closeup of number 2

blue2dbl.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
How would you describe the color of that round?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good Question SC!
Caribbean Blue?

For reference- here's a natural blue diamond-
GIA graded this one Fancy Deep Blue.

As you can see the color is different

blash5.JPG

cutechick0021

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the pics! I love the rainbow of color! I actually like the irradated blue, it reminds me of the ocean...and it''s more in my budget :)

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
RD...I have a question for you. What kinds of diamonds would one consider irradiating? I really know nothing about it. Personally I perfer the colors of the non-irradiated ones but I just wonder what it is about a stone that one would consider irradiating it. Is it that the color is extreamly light to begin with? If so, why not just keep it as a light fancy? I''m confused.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm with you EM1- we only carry the natural ones, we got thes treated ones in the photos for a request.
I'm not an expert on the irradiated process- but from what I do know you need to start with a brown diamond to have it turn blue after nuking.

Based on the the evidence of price- irradiated diamonds are by diamond standards, relatively inexpensive- meaning the ones doing the irradiating are starting with some cheaper diamonds. That also suggests brown as a starting point,
From what I know, a Fancy Light Yellow would never be used for irradiation- it would be ( IMO ) a terrible waste- but even more, it would not make dollars and sense- as Fancy Light Yellow Diamonds trade at higher prices than any of the irradiated diamonds.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It''s not a blue...but here are some pics of my little irradiated green. I love it and wear it all the time!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a picture of my irradiated blue diamond ring.......

cmsbluediamondrhr01.jpg

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh...! Catmom, I really dig those halos!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Catmom is there no end to your gorgeous collection
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DiamondFlame and MMT!! This was a fun ring that I picked up at a gem show.

kboggs315

Shiny_Rock
My irradiated blue diamond... in my opinion... unique and beautiful.

fingerbluereduced.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, nice. I would also get irradiated blue.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes- 2 lovely rings!

Here''s a 1.11 irradiated pear shape

iblued.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond - I don''t think all irradiated diamonds start off as brown - I could be wrong and I''ll happily stand corrected. It is my understanding that the higher quality, higher end irradiated diamonds can actually start off as white diamonds (albeit a low white).

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
here are a couple of EC''s, a Rad and a PR - sorry about the side stones...all the blues are about 1-1.2ct.

CompositeBlues.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice set ups Gary!!
I've just spoken the company that treated the stones I posted.

To end up with a blue, you do need to start with a brown- the lighter the untreated stone, the lighter the blue after radiation.
LD- You are correct, they do irradiate "cape" diamonds as well- they turn orange and deep yellow. Stones used for these colors would include yellowish stones - M-N-O-P Q-R colors and the like.

It would not make sense to irradiate a fine white diamond, as there a cap on the price people will pay for a treated stone.
For example- there is a 4 carat blue- the same color as the pear shape I posted.
It would go for about $6000 per carat- a very low price for a 4carat round.

If it was a lighter blue it might go for about $8000 per carat. Again, this is less than say a J/Si1 might go for- maybe that's the range of about L/VS.
The difference in price of the untreated diamonds would be indicative of the difference in price between a dark brown and a lighter brown diamond- lighter browns generally go for higher prices that dark browns.

From what I see here in NYC, the ones I've are posted considered "Higher end" treated stones.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2009 4:26:27 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Nice set ups Gary!!
I''ve just spoken the company that treated the stones I posted.

To end up with a blue, you do need to start with a brown- the lighter the untreated stone, the lighter the blue after radiation.
LD- You are correct, they do irradiate ''cape'' diamonds as well- they turn orange and deep yellow. Stones used for these colors would include yellowish stones - M-N-O-P Q-R colors and the like.

It would not make sense to irradiate a fine white diamond, as there a cap on the price people will pay for a treated stone.
For example- there is a 4 carat blue- the same color as the pear shape I posted.
It would go for about $6000 per carat- a very low price for a 4carat round.

If it was a lighter blue it might go for about $8000 per carat. Again, this is less than say a J/Si1 might go for- maybe that''s the range of about L/VS.
The difference in price of the untreated diamonds would be indicative of the difference in price between a dark brown and a lighter brown diamond- lighter browns generally go for higher prices that dark browns.

From what I see here in NYC, the ones I''ve are posted considered ''Higher end'' treated stones.
Thanks for that David. I was pretty sure that "cape" diamonds and not the chocolates (as most people think of when the term "brown" is used) were used in the irradiation process.

Of course it wouldn''t make commercial sense to use a "white" diamond and thus potentially devaluing it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You''re welcome LD!

I confirmed that the pear shape was a deep brown ( chocolate) before radiation.
In the world of treated diamonds, you were correct- that makes it "not top shelf"- at least in terms of the price.
A lighter stone would cost more.
I''ll get a lighter blue and take a photo so we can see the difference.

I should really ask if we can get a diamond before they irradiate it and see before and after shots....hmmmm

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If i could get an irridated diamond that''s the same blue as asscher you posted David, I''d jump on it! That''s a gorgeous color!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No problem elle_chris...but you might have to beat me off it with a stick first...heheheh

Date: 4/7/2009 7:29:14 PM
Author: elle_chris
If i could get an irridated diamond that's the same blue as asscher you posted David, I'd jump on it! That's a gorgeous color!
The natural blue diamonds have a completely different type of brilliance.
I have gained new respect for the treated stones- although I still find them to be horribly misrepresented frequently- which is my biggest complaint about them.
But the difference has to do with way color looks in diamonds.
I love deep coppery brown diamonds- accepting the fact that brown, as a color, is not as bright as say, yellow....or blue.
I really liked the color on the Radiant and Princess Gary posted better than the color of the emerald cuts he showed- or the pear I posted.
But there's still something ....unnatural about the color- no offense!

Here's another look at a natural Blue.
This one was graded "Fancy Blue" by GIA and was around 1 1/4cts.
Any guesses on what the typical price for this type of stone is?

blec2.JPG

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
omg. those colors are killing me. And no, i don''t even want to begin guessing as it''s only going to happen if I win the Mega Millions lottery.

Is there any possible way to get that color in an irridated stone?? A true blue as opposed to a teal/ greenish color..

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the color stable?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My major gripe with irradiated diamonds is that the don''t look like *diamonds* any more. The color saturation is so deep that it''s like any other gemstone...they don''t have the sparkle that colorless or natural colored diamonds have. That being said, I have an irradiated diamond (posted earlier) and I love it, but I wish the color were a little less deep so it looked less "unnatural."

kboggs315

Shiny_Rock
I respectufully disagree that the irradiated diamonds dont give the same flash and spark as "natural" diamonds. The fire and spark are the first things noticed about my diamond.

bluediamondspark.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a pretty ring Kristen!

What we''ve learned is that a diamond the color of yours started out as a dark brown.
In fact, we can make the same statement about brown diamonds- they are simply less "sparkly" than yellow ( for example).
This is just a function of the color brown, and how it reacts to light.
If we compare a dark brown- chocolate- diamond to a colorless, or a yellow, it can be gorgeous- but less light will be coming off of it.

I LOVE borwn diamonds, and don''t feel that this makes them any less beautiful- just like your irradiated blue!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama - yes the process is stable if irradiated.

jstarfireb - I have a number of irradiated yellows that perform EXACTLY like natural yellow diamonds and in fact when I had them appraised (by a very very experienced appraiser) I had to confess they were irradiated!!!
19.gif

David - since we on the hunt for information ......... can you find out what colour this would have been prior to irradiation please? I understand that having a red/deep pink irradiated of this colour is extremely difficult to find. Paler pinks and pinky browns are more the "norm".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results