shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics of diamonds w/ sapphire sidestones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sassylt

Rough_Rock
Hello All! I am thinking of adding sapphire sidestones to my rb solitare...I would love to see some pics. Can you also give me the proportions so I can get an idea of what size to go with. Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell us what size your RB is and we can go from there.
1.gif

sassylt

Rough_Rock
It''s a 1.5 ct. RB, in a WG 6 prong tiffany style setting. I think I want round sapphires, but I am not sure what size to get. Also, I really love the six prongs for my center stone....do people usually do that with a three stone ring? Thanks in advance for any advice!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Well,

You are thinking about a 3 stone ring with rounds?

I went the other way around - Center Sapphire with side diamonds. But perhaps I could help with how I decided -

1) Decide on what kind of ratio's you like - center to sides - perhaps thinking about all diamonds for starters to get an idea of proportions.

Look at this old link on sizes of sides

2) Understand differences between diamond size/ct and Sapphire size/ct. A rough rule of thumb is that round sapphires need to be about 1.4 times the ct weight of a diamond to be the same size. I.e. if you wanted a sapphire that was the same size as a 1ct diamond - you want a 1.4ct round sapphire. This is only a guide - sapphire depths can varysignificantly. Look at mm's closely.

3) A sample photo from Tiffany

4) Pick sapphires which match the quality of your diamond. In other words - if you have an exceptional center diamond - try to find exceptional side sapphires.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh well... fine sapphires would cost allot than the center diamondmall sapphires are quite inexpensive, actually. It is worth checking the quality of sapphire sidestones if you do go for a ready-made designer setting, because nice blue sapphires are not quite the norm, I am affraid. Low quality, dark and badly cut sapphires somehow end up in rather expensive jewelry by some miracle.
2.gif
And fine ones, even if not super expensive - are rather rare.

And many shapes work well, btw - not just rounds. Here's a less usual choice - cushion diamond and sapphires !

11486a.JPG

Half moons would be nice as well, if you like them and have the patience to have some custom cut (not as complicated as it sounds). I could not find an example with blues, but here's a red one:

15187e.JPG

Honestly, I would prefer colored sides of a different shape than the center (pears on the first place, trillions a close second...), so that they do not compare unfavorably with the brilliance of the diamond. It is a personal choice though - not mainstream opinion. If you have a chance to try out different shapes this may be one thing to look out for.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"Justlooking" had this wonder made by ArtofPlatinum recently... you can easily find the story of this ring among her topics:

A blue version would be amazing, of course.

1192Fa.JPG

Just an idea, of course...

BlueReds.JPG

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sassylt, another option would be this, but instead of diamonds use sapphires
1084841.jpg
from stuller. That way you keep the 6 prongs of your e-ring.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one that looks like the sapphires were added.......

bluedia.jpg

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
abother style........(they have lots more)

sidessap.jpg

deny

Rough_Rock
Here is my 1.52 center with appx 5mm sapphires on the sides.

pumpkin1212.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is mine

my ering sapp side 2.JPG

deny

Rough_Rock
Beautiful! What size are your sapphires?

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI deny the sapphires are 3.25mm diam...the center diamond is a 0.90 Regent (cushionlike)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results