shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics in natural light of the ring

Corely

Rough_Rock
306F073C-1001-4927-9C85-F47911F55847.png 4ECAC58D-75DD-4018-84D6-405145276062.png ok went outside after shift and got some pics in natural light. I know this stone isn’t perfect or maybe even good 1DD350DB-B6A2-4586-BE57-C5497AC0DEFC.png at all. But the lighting I the little connex I toon the other pictures in did not help at all. It certainly has some color to it but in person it really is not nearly 089BBF76-B3A4-4F5B-B4FA-2DFB8DDEBE30.png as bad as those fluorescent cheap light pictures show that whole room is yellow/ Manila colored and it doesn’t help so does it look any better in the natural light? Opinions are welcome brutal or not what does the consensus think of the color rating of this main stone? As for the ring design I know som 91ECE31F-10EA-4322-AEE9-F02A8D6C0D33.png e don’t care for the look of it but it’s what she wanted years ago and always wanted to have a ring made to look like this however after a divorce I may suggest she lower the stone down a lot thanks everyone learning a lot here 3B00FC4C-80E5-4534-A35F-62229F99FE8F.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any photos showing the stone level and plumb from the SIDE?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The melee has an obvious tint, but the center stone is far more tinted. I'm going to guess M for color. The photo fifth from the top gives the clearest view, and there's a lot of tint in it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It definitely looks less yellow in natural light. It's always hard to tell clarity from photos, but looking at the new, close-up photos, I don't see any obvious dark inclusions. The diamond looks to be a good size, and, good for you for keeping her taste and preferences in mind with regard to the size of the diamond and the design of the ring. Many of us here have had to compromise one or two of the four C's to get what we want. Many people choose to sacrifice color and clarity to get a larger diamond. I think you did well for what you paid and considering the time constraints you're working with (holiday proposal). Of course, you will want to confirm the color, clarity, and carat weight of the diamond. To do that, as several posters have mentioned, you'll need to have the stone unmounted and sent to AGS or GIA. If it doesn't meet your expectations or is of lessor quality than what the vendor told you, you'll need to have a discussion with your fiancee, as well as the vendor. If you're serious about returning the stone if it doesn't meet your expectations after grading, I'd be honest with your fiancee about that from the beginning. Not all women would be happy with the idea of perhaps having to get a new diamond/setting after a romantic proposal, and after they've posted photos all over social media of the proposal and the ring. So just make sure you can live with the diamond/setting if it turns out to be lessor in quality and your fiancee loves it. And, for what it's worth, I like your proposal idea. Also for what it's worth, keep in mind that you're posting your questions on a site full of diamond lovers; right now old cuts and larger, round diamonds set in dainty halos are all the rage here. Princess cuts and bolder settings are not in fashion here. That's one possible reason you're not getting the responses you may have expected. Another reason is, as others have mentioned, the documentation that came with this ring is worthless. I think you realize that. But your fiancee may not care if she loves the ring. You need to be okay with that.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theres nothing wrong with the design of the setting. The issue is that it's poorly made, and looks clunky and as though it won't last.

I am still convinced the stone is clarity enhanced or not a diamond. If the stone was actually 3cts and I color, it would have been certified by a real lab and sold for much more $.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Theres nothing wrong with the design of the setting. The issue is that it's poorly made, and looks clunky and as though it won't last.

I am still convinced the stone is clarity enhanced or not a diamond. If the stone was actually 3cts and I color, it would have been certified by a real lab and sold for much more $.
I agree, lovedogs, that it is clunky. It's what Gypsy (now @Layla) used to call a "Super Bowl ring." But Corely says it's the style his fiancee has always wanted. As to the quality, I still don't think any of us can give very accurate feedback on the quality of the diamond or the setting because there is no paperwork. I'm more concerned now with the prospect of his fiancee being upset because she has to give up the ring for the diamond to be graded (and the setting should be looked at by a qualified bench to check for loose/damaged melee). All of this hassle because there's no reliable paperwork.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
@Corely -- did you look at this ring under a loupe or microscope, by any chance?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, lovedogs, that it is clunky. It's what Gypsy (now Layla) used to call a "Super Bowl ring." But Corely says it's the style his fiancee has always wanted. As to the quality, I still don't think any of us can give very accurate feedback on the quality of the diamond or the setting because there is no paperwork. I'm more concerned now with the prospect of his fiancee being upset because she has to give up the ring for the diamond to be graded (and the setting should be looked at by a qualified bench to check for loose/damaged melee). All of this hassle because there's no reliable paperwork.

I have no problem with the style of the setting. The issue is the poor excecution and workmanship. I just want OP to understand that no matter what the stone actually is, it's not what it says on the report. Vendors don't sell below their own cost, ever. Period. This isn't an exception. The price was low for a reason...either the stone is enhanced, or there are other serious issues (cracks we can't see from this angle, etc).

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Yes, good point @lovedogs -- and I agree 100% -- vendors do not sell below their own cost. As with most things you get what you pay for. Based on a quick search of JA's website, best case scenario is that it is a 2 carat K color, SI2 clarity (and that doesn't include the setting, which the vendor *may* have thrown to sweeten the deal). Again, @Corely, make sure you are okay with this before you propose.

Corely

Rough_Rock
@Corely -- did you look at this ring under a loupe or microscope, by any chance?

Oh yes looked at it under a loop many times. Has some inclusions and feather inclusion that's slightly annoying but nothing ridiculously bad and none dead center. Also none close to the edge tips that could compromise the integrity. Also used diamond tester on it and different colored flashlight lights. Much scrutiny went into this. Anything I have bought from this guy has come back worth more.. scored pretty big with some Tanzanite though him. Took 7 months to find that size of a diamond out here. Looked at many. Many were better color but smaller. This woman would have no problems having to exchange the center stone. I'm not exactly scraping by over here. Most of her non gem stone jewelry I got from tiffanies and high end places. Some gold souk items from Dubai as well. Amber from Estonia and Russia, Jade from Thailand and Belize. We travel all over the world and pick up jewelry along the way. That's the way we like it all these pieces have a story and a memory attached to them.

But..... I have never bought a diamond before and am by no means skilled with them. I know she will like the ring and setting its based off of a ring she fell in love with in Honduras a few years ago... matter of fact when we went there a 2nd time she went back in the same jewelry store to look at this same ring again. That was like a $250k flawless ring though.. but looked almost exactly like this ring.. only of course the center stone was not raised quite as high. I just want to make sure I didn't get blatantly mega ripped off here. As long as the entire ring is worth more than $10k I'm ok with that.. preferably closer to 18-20k but that is probly a stretch with what I have learned from here. After Paris we head to Rome then Morocco and some Canary islands for 20 days to celebrate a much needed RR. I have been over here for 16 months now and getting close to calling it quits and going to fly airplanes back home. This upcoming trip is hopefully going to be an engagement celebration. Just want to make sure the ring isn't something that's gong to get me laughed at by other people when they see it. If it needs to be returned or changed she wont have a problem with that. We are basically married already, live together been together six years. Just want to get her something special that's nice that she likes and tells the story of the sacrifice she and I both made to let me come play in the sandbox one more time. Thanks for all your input and info everyone!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound thoughtful and sweet, so I'm just going to say one more time to not waste your money on this. You can do better. You didn't get a deal, and you didn't get what you paid for. I promise he never made you a great deal on tanzanite either....tanzanite is mostly very inexpensive bc it's not that durable. Appraisals don't mean anything about what you should have paid.

Corely

Rough_Rock
3A2E8FE6-4A34-4452-9EFF-2DF8835425B5.png 9A788E41-19CD-496A-B013-F1FB81EB3AD0.png Just to give an idea. First pic is the ring they made me. 2nd pic is the original insanely expensive ring she loves in Honduras. Given where we are to tools and resources out here. I think they did a pretty damn good job. Yes I know the stone is raised high in mine. Mine is a princess cut the original looks to be a cushion and is more rounded and less square around the edges. But she likes the square big look. I think it’s purdy close. This is the only pic I had to show them of the Honduras ring. I guess they raised the center stone thinking it would push on the finger or to show off the sides. If she doesn’t dig it then it’s going back and we will start again I guess.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This makes me so sad bc you obviously tried so hard. But the ring you got is a very poor attempt at replicating something nice. there are so many ways that the replica is wrong. It's clunkier, rhe split shank is off, the stone is much worse, etc.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
@Corely -- that sounds like a wonderful, wonderful RR. And much deserved -- I appreciate your service to our country. Again, I find myself agreeing with @lovedogs -- your fiancee-to-be has great taste. $250,000 is probably too much to pay for that ring. But $10,000 is too little to pay. Please consider returning the ring and letting us help you find a ring worthy of your bride to be. It's the least we can do to thank you for your service.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no problem with the style of the setting. The issue is the poor excecution and workmanship. I just want OP to understand that no matter what the stone actually is, it's not what it says on the report. Vendors don't sell below their own cost, ever. Period. This isn't an exception. The price was low for a reason...either the stone is enhanced, or there are other serious issues (cracks we can't see from this angle, etc).

I agree with @lovedogs. I don't think the design is bad. Split shank halos can be quite beautiful. I just think it is a very poorly executed split shank halo. Like, worse than costume jewelry bad. That diamond is much too high, and the prongs for the center diamond look unstable. For princess cut diamonds, you really need a setting that protects the girdle due to the pointy corners. I'm afraid that the diamond will be chipped within a month of normal wear in such a setting. Also, the pave work is fairly poorly done.

For an example of what a properly-executed split-shank halo should look like, here is a ring by Victor Canera (the king of halos). Center stone is an antique cushion, but this will still give you an idea of a proper halo with a square center stone should look like:

As for the center diamond. As @lovedogs said, you get what you pay for. Not a single person can tell you what the proper color or clarity grading should be from pictures alone, but I will say that the diamond looks much more yellow than a GIA I, and also more cloudy than a GIA SI1. For color, I would conservatively say that an M sounds about right.

It's commendable for you to try and satisfy what your girlfriend wants in a ring, but are you sure she would be okay with such a diamond? I mean, if she wants a 3 carat diamond and that's what you can afford then yes, technically this is a 3 carat diamond...

...But wouldn't your money be better spent on a smaller stone that will actually look nice and have some sparkle and life to it? Are you sure than your girlfriend wouldn't rather have a smaller ring that is actually beautiful? You could get a nice, properly-graded princess cut around 1.5 carats with a well-constructed halo for about $10k through some of the open market online vendors. And I know we're not supposed to say it on a diamond sub-forum, but honestly, if the 3 carat size was a must, I think a 3 carat diamond alternative in a well-constructed halo would look 1000X better than this ring, and you could always upgrade to a real diamond down the line when funds permit.

Just my $0.02.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is there going to be any chance of a refund after you long trip? It sounds lovely and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time, but even with a good vendor that amount of time might be outside of a return window.

Even *IF* the stone has no problems and isn't clarity enhanced and ends up being the right weight etc etc....you're going to need to add $2500 (conservatively) to your price to have that stone reset when that poor setting falls apart or is damaged in the course of daily wear, assuming the stone isn't damaged in the process (which it likely will be given the current situation).

I know you say you'll be happy no matter what as long as it's "worth" more than the $10k you paid, but as others have said, I can assure you it is most definitely not worth $10k. You worked hard for that money. Spend it on sometime worth your effort and worth the lovely woman you intend to spend your life with.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond at IDJewelry.com, a well respected vendor, for $7,659. It’s bigger than yours by around 0.45mm and has a GIA cert which IMO makes it worth $1-1.5K more than yours which means yours is worth around $6-6.6K (if yours is a natural, non-clarity enhanced diamond). No, you did not get a great deal. If you want a large L/M/N/O, SI1/SI2/SI3 diamond then buy one ... but buy it with a reputable certificate so you know exactly what you are getting.

4C679046-AA9F-4270-80E1-643F1A779BF0.jpeg

https://idjewelry.com/princess-bd155837.html

Please note I am not recommending this diamond. It is a price point comparison which is what you requested.

This will be my last reply to your threads as I get the sense you are looking for confirmation that you got a great deal which, unfortunately, I cannot provide.

Thank you for your service and enjoy your RR time with your soon to be fiancé. And best wishes on your impeding engagement!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy your R and R and good luck with your engagement. She sounds like she will let you know if she loves the ring or not. If she doesn’t, come back for help. Hopefully, she will love her ring.

D3F0DCD3-85E6-4F93-8369-7C97958644FB.jpeg
EA045AE5-5115-4586-9F36-2FA61DD7955D.jpeg
6562DE45-DB97-4458-A1FD-9CE021BB805B.jpeg

Notice the minimal metal in relation to the pave.

If you have to redo it, make it less chunky with metal and more streamlined and get the stone set much lower.

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And just for an idea of what you could get for 10K that would look decent, here's a 1.67 carat H/VS1 for $8K. Princess cuts show a bit more color than MRBs, but H should still be safe in that it will look white to almost everyone:
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/princess-diamond-1.67-carat-h-vs1-yd4452156

And a nice halo with the diamond properly seated for a clean, flush fit for $2K in white gold (or spring for platinum for $300 more):
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/products/the-brigette

Just giving you ideas of what most on here would say is a well-balanced ring with a split-shank halo for $10K. :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When looking for comps, go by mm size and not weight. A thick girdle and a deep stone will add weight, but won’t give your spread, which is what people want when they say X carats.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond at IDJewelry.com, a well respected vendor, for $7,659. It’s bigger than yours by around 0.45mm and has a GIA cert which IMO makes it worth $1-1.5K more than yours which means yours is worth around $6-6.6K (if yours is a natural, non-clarity enhanced diamond). No, you did not get a great deal. If you want a large L/M/N/O, SI1/SI2/SI3 diamond then buy one ... but buy it with a reputable certificate so you know exactly what you are getting.

4C679046-AA9F-4270-80E1-643F1A779BF0.jpeg

https://idjewelry.com/princess-bd155837.html

Please note I am not recommending this diamond. It is a price point comparison which is what you requested.

This will be my last reply to your threads as I get the sense you are looking for confirmation that you got a great deal which, unfortunately, I cannot provide.

Thank you for your service and enjoy your RR time with your soon to be fiancé. And best wishes on your impeding engagement!

This.

Corely

Rough_Rock
But one last thing, we can’t really do comps because we don’t know what you have.

appreciate it.. and if it turns out to be a sub 10k ring like everyone says then its coming back and we will start over. Kinda wanted to get one made from out here to be part of our story but.. if this is the best they can do and it doesn't appraise well at all then Ill just get one from a conventional place. Thanks

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
appreciate it.. and if it turns out to be a sub 10k ring like everyone says then its coming back and we will start over. Kinda wanted to get one made from out here to be part of our story but.. if this is the best they can do and it doesn't appraise well at all then Ill just get one from a conventional place. Thanks
I need to reiterate NOT just getting an appraisal from a random jeweler. You need to have it reliably graded from a lab first, THEN appraised by an independent appraiser.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just hope they will keep the word and let you return the ring after a prolonged period of time! Most of the places will not take any retune back after 30 days . It will be very sad if you waste 10.000$!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May as well start now. I can guarantee you that this is not a 10K ring. :(sad

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean, this ring is bothering me greatly.

The measurements suggest it’s a 2 carat center stone. The photos suggest imo just guessing it’s more like a L/M/N color— again, hard to say but several photos show it is clearly tinted yellow.

It could be clarity enhanced, which IF it is makes it basically worth nothing.

The paperwork is junk.

I’m very nervous for you because I think you could have gotten scammed.

What also is niggling at me in the back of my head is that you said this is a replica of her dream ring that she saw somewhere but was like 100K. I guarantee if that is true, that dream ring doesn’t look like this ring.

I hope it works out for you and she loves it and when you take the stone out and send to GIA for certification, it shows you bought what you think you bought.

I’m not sure it’s a diamond at this point. This ring could be worth $75.00 for all we know. Diamond testers are ridiculously unreliable. They always show my quartz as diamonds.

The measurements don’t make any sense, Right now I am leaning toward that this isn’t a diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results