shape
carat
color
clarity

Pics in natural light of the ring

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-Corely, we're a military family as well so i know the enticement of buying from a vendor like this and the "have to accept returns" idea, but frankly, those vendors are always looking to make an easy buck and are never actually giving you a good deal. There are also a lot of ways they can get out of that return policy, or if not and you complain, theres no actual black list or anything, the worst that will happen is that one company name cant sell on base, but they can go through the same process and start selling on base under that name.
You truly dont have the protections you think you do here. PS is all normal consumers like you and me who happen to love diamonds. They're like the model airplaners of the diamond world, and they dont want to see you get taken advantage of.

I was very worried about this. Ban one company name, register under another company name and back in business...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, OP, you said you have pics of her dream 250K ring.

Would you post those pics so we can see what she likes? Thanks.

ctsamg

Rough_Rock
It's not legal per se, but many people order diamonds from online vendors, and then pay no sales tax on the stone or setting. So I wouldn't get wrapped up in Duty Free at all! I love that you're trying to make it sentimental and part of your story. Would you consider just getting a wedding band now and shopping for an engagement ring when you get back?

If not, you could consider presenting her a CZ ring in Paris that will look great, and then work with her to get a great deal on the ring she wants and you can trust. You've been together long enough that she may appreciate that you're trying to get it right with her as opposed to do it on your own. Having just gone through this myself, my fiance and I took three field trips to local jewelers just to make sure I really understood what she liked. (In her case she started with an emerald cut, tried it on didn't like it, went to a princess cut, hated it and then ended up with a round). I had this idea every woman knew exactly what they wanted, turns out most of them have not worn many engagement rings!

It's impossible for us to give you an opinion on the stone, and those who are giving you color guesses are doing just that guessing. You should ask around to see if anyone trustworthy in Dubai can take a look. I know there are GIA trained gemologists there.

I can say that the work of the setting itself appears really poor quality. They likely did the best they can, but for some things we don't get credit for trying. This is the single item your fiancee will wear the rest of her life, I wouldn't want my fiancee looking at that ring, and it's inherent imperfections everyday.

Thanks for your service, and best of luck whatever you choose!

Corely

Rough_Rock
D92101DB-80E6-4F44-BD32-3D6E76957664.png

This is the original ring. It’s cushion and more rounded around the edges than Square. And of course center stone not raised up. But it’s also $250k. They came pretty close. But I’m leaning toward the rerun with all the doubt about the center stone and craftsmanship

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

He posted in the other thread. I commented on it. The ring is very different and much much nicer.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Corely I’m glad you are seeing the light! I know you tried to recreate her dream ring with all the best intentions. There is a very big difference between a cushion cut and a princess cut. Please return and let us help you come pretty darn close to her dream ring! Within your budget too ;)2

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty sure that's not a $250k ring in the inspiration picture. I do not think sending him to random stores in Europe is going to result in a safer experience. He is likely to overpay anywhere he goes. And his budget is not going to work in Tiffany, VCA, etc. She'd get less than a carat in a solitaire setting for $10k and no halo, and the halo seems to be important to her.

I do think he needs to start over because we know 100% that what he has now has been misrepresented due to the face up size of the stone and we do not know if it is a clarity enhanced stone. But the only safe way to get good quality at the maximum for his budget is to wait and get help ordering a stone and setting from a vendor here. He can easily be scammed in just about any jewelry store.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty sure that's not a $250k ring in the inspiration picture. I do not think sending him to random stores in Europe is going to result in a safer experience. He is likely to overpay anywhere he goes. And his budget is not going to work in Tiffany, VCA, etc. She'd get less than a carat in a solitaire setting for $10k and no halo, and the halo seems to be important to her.

I do think he needs to start over because we know 100% that what he has now has been misrepresented due to the face up size of the stone and we do not know if it is a clarity enhanced stone. But the only safe way to get good quality at the maximum for his budget is to wait and get help ordering a stone and setting from a vendor here. He can easily be scammed in just about any jewelry store.

This * 10000000

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This place has too.. its sponsored by the base to be allowed to sell here. They don't refund bad items they get kicked off the installation and this place is their livelihood. Vendor has to take returns and assured me I can return it if she doesn't like it or wants it altered or does not come back as it is advertised.

OP, can you confirm for us that a return is going to be possible?

Sometimes, the more that you disagree with a person, the more time and effort they invest in the defence, and therefore become more entrenched in the original position.
I’m sure the OP has learned a lot, but it’s pretty clear that his mind is made up. If the weight and measurements are not enough to return it now, nothing is.
That jeweler might be planning a move in January - he might be dependent on selling to the base, but that is zero assurance he’ll even be there next week.
Oh well. Can lead the horse to water and all that.

Still wishing the OP all the best! The whole proposal and vacation sound wonderful, and efforts to get the fiancee what she likes is admirable.

Op, what would you say if a friend or family member was in your shoes? “Experts on the internet day I should return the ring, but I was excited about it and think I might want to keep it. But there’s a chance I may have grossly overpaid or even been scammed.” What would you tell your friend?

Well.. anyone know any reputable places in Dubai to pick up a ring??

I get that you want that angle to the story, but don’t get so caught up in the Dubai bit. You can buy her a necklace from Dubai. The ring she wears every day for the rest of her life... you’ve got the budget to get her something exceptional, why not do that?

Please consider one more thing. I know you said she loved it in Honduras several years back. Are you certain her taste has not developed since then? I remember liking certain rings a few years ago that I would not be interested in now. What I’d she were exposed to the settings and stones that are more common now? Would she still want that ring from Honduras? What if what she really liked from the Honduras ring was the icy whiteness of a $250k stone? If that is the case, your ring right now does not even have the most attractive feature if the original ring. I am not trying to depress you. I’m just saying that women’s opinions can change over time and with exposure to more options and information. I can tell you have the very best intentions but just be logical, and realistic, and don’t be afraid to involve her in the process of choosing a ring that is supposed to be forever.

I think you make a good point but in general I think he’s romantic to have saved that photo and remembered and paid attention. If it’s going to be a surprise I think it’s a good style to go for.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with future suggestions for OP. I'm still not convinced he will be able to get any of his $$ back, much less all of it!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you need any further input, but as a fellow vet with a couple deployments under my belt I just wanted to weigh in and agree with all of the other posters here - PLEASE RETURN THE RING NOW!!

I love the thought and effort you have put into this and I know you can get her something that will be perfect -- just not this.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Those were my thoughts exactly when I just saw the photo. Even if that center stone was a D/IF type IIa diamond (which I highly doubt) it would be Max $100k. More likely? It's probably a $25k ring.

Safest course for @Corely is to go with a trusted online vendor where prices are openly posted. Otherwise, if he thought that the inspiration ring is worth $250k, and that the ring he just bought is worth $10k, he is going to be an easy target for any retail jeweler...

UserError

Rough_Rock
Those were my thoughts exactly when I just saw the photo. Even if that center stone was a D/IF type IIa diamond (which I highly doubt) it would be Max $100k. More likely? It's probably a $25k ring.

Safest course for @Corely is to go with a trusted online vendor where prices are openly posted. Otherwise, if he thought that the inspiration ring is worth $250k, and that the ring he just bought is worth $10k, he is going to be an easy target for any retail jeweler...

Since it was in Honduras, maybe $250K in their local currency. $250,000 Honduran Lempira is approximately $10,250 USD.

*shrug*

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not legal per se, but many people order diamonds from online vendors, and then pay no sales tax on the stone or setting. So I wouldn't get wrapped up in Duty Free at all!

It's not not legal per se - it's completely, utterly, wholly, 100% illegal.
And avoiding duties would be completely, utterly, wholly, 100% illegal.

Let's please avoid encouraging newcomers to commit tax fraud on public fora.

Last edited:

sophiapetrillo

Rough_Rock
I swear this popped up in my images when I was searching halos for myself...not sure if it’s related:

1DBAD222-028B-4B61-8AE9-1C769ED3F7DB.png

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I swear this popped up in my images when I was searching halos for myself...not sure if it’s related:

lol - this one actually looks better, with the F color center ... and cheaper ...

So if we go back to one of the original questions .
OP, your ring is worth less than $10000 - I think you originally just wanted to know that the ring was worth over $10000 ...

On the upside, it looks like a replica of the Honduras ring with a cushion is within your reach after all.

Ah - you have a whole bunch of us on your team now!

lol

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My turn.
You have done a fabulous job trying to replica the ring that your fiancé to be be loved so BIG KUDOS.
However....... you have come to Pricescope looking for an opinion on your 120% well intentioned venture into the world of diamonds and ring making BUT our hundreds of years and probably millions of dollars worth of buying experience have to tell you how it is BAD.
No 1 - we are VERY concerned about that princess diamond. Our experience and vast knowledge tells us that a princess cut natural diamond of those stated dimensions CANT weigh 3 carats. So, is it a genuine, mined from the earth diamond or were the gem scales not accurate or not “0.00” ed? The stated colour in the “report” is also a mile out, there’s a huge $$ difference between I and L or M. You also don’t know if that diamond is clarity enhanced and I strongly suspect it is. That would explain its “cheap” price but by clarity enhanced price standards it’s too high. You can buy a similar size princess diamond clarity enhanced with better colour for less today on eBay,.com.
No 2. The setting. The setting is not like the one your fiancé loved. Yours is a substandard chunky clunky replica that lacks quality. The prongs are misshapen and askew, the diamond is sticking up like a sore thumb, the melee is poorly set, the shoulders too wide. I’ll say it, it looks cheap and ugly not elegant and refined.
No 3 - the diamond dealer and ring manufacturer saw you coming and saw “CHUMP” written all over your face. You’re a foreign guy, zero knowledge, zero experience in buying diamonds, getting a ring made and they have sucked you in big time.
If you’re not in the US or a similar country with very firm and enforceable laws about misleading and deceptive conduct how will you get your money back or getting them to redo the ring to a better standard? And can they even provide you with a better diamond and a well manufactured ring? Even in the US if you accept delivery of your diamond and ring and don’t immediately raise your concerns you can have difficulty getting restitution or your money back.
If you have happy to have the ring for $10,000 even though it’s not what you thought you were buying, ie smaller than stated carat weight, much worse colour than stated and with probable clarity enhancement in a badly made setting that’s fine, but WE would hope you send it straight back, get a full refund and let us help you get a drop dead gorgeous ring that represents proper excellent value for money.
Diamonds and having a setting made aren’t financial investments, they are emotional investments. Unless you buy a preloved diamond ring, any “new” ring is worth less the moment you walk out the shop, just like a new car.
Diamonds are very expensive for what they - “a pretty sparkling gem” - so just like the decisions you make buying a car to justify its cost you need to apply similar criteria to diamonds and ring settings.
Do you buy the cheapest model car on the lot and put in/ on fancy accessories to make it look better (mutton dressed as lamb is the saying) or do you buy the prestige model car with no extras?
Just about anyone can look at a Mercedes and say “nice car” but if looking at a Hyundai Excel no one is going to go “wow” even if they notice your Italian lambskin leather seats or 24kt gold plated wheel rims.
Buying a large size diamond with all its flaws and shortcomings for cheap to get size is like buying an old smashed up Ferrari. Yes it’s got the size (Dancing horse emblem) but it looks like shit!
If pretty and size is what matters, get a Moissanite. Pay $4,000 for a gem and ring that “looks” like $30,000 diamond ring not $10,000 for a ring that’s got a misrepresented diamond in an awful setting.
Hope all our comments help you make the best decision for you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We will just have to see if he can get his money back and if not, we can help him figure out what to do with it... maybe send off for GIA and then consider recut or something.

IF he can get his money clean and clear back... if not, then IMO priority #1 is take diamond out and send off to see what it is.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the ring makes it to the US, I actually advise NOT taking the stone out to send somewhere. The longer he waits to return the less likely he has a chance to do so, regardless what he believes. I don't think she's going to be happy wearing a ring home and then having to have it taken apart to send the diamond somewhere, and in that case, they wouldn't even be able to insure it to send!!! So I say return now, or forget us and be happy with it. (I think it's a real diamond due to the low color, probably M-N, but no way to know if it's clarity enhanced.)

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
If the ring makes it to the US, I actually advise NOT taking the stone out to send somewhere. The longer he waits to return the less likely he has a chance to do so, regardless what he believes. I don't think she's going to be happy wearing a ring home and then having to have it taken apart to send the diamond somewhere, and in that case, they wouldn't even be able to insure it to send!!! So I say return now, or forget us and be happy with it. (I think it's a real diamond due to the low color, probably M-N, but no way to know if it's clarity enhanced.)

The thing is, physics says that princess diamond can not weigh 3.01 carats at that measurement and still be a diamond. The OP said it was weighed in front of him. So either the scale was not calibrated, or it’s not possible for that stone to be a diamond. Either way, it indicates a rip-off.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly...and why it should be returned now. We know it has been misrepresented. The color could be K-L even, but not what he was told. The weight is questionable. If he gives it to her and she returns to the US with it, it will be WAY too complicated to deal with a return. And that's what the seller is banking on.

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

At least this one is clearly described as “clarity enhanced”

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
92DC917A-2888-4097-8789-6C63799B8A99.jpeg Hmmm, I think this is the full picture.
The poster asked a question previously about a diamond from an Afghan bazaar seller, a 3.05 carat H VS2 diamond, and this is the diamond he bought and had set.
Looking at the original post and photos I can see why this diamond is set so high in the ring and why he saw its weight as being 3.02 carats.
It is at least as deep as it is wide so the “4.31 depth” is wrong on the report ,like totally wrong. Even a casual eyeball glance at the unset stone screams “huge uneven pavilion depth”. Absolutely awful cutting, done solely for weight!
Photo is from posters original thread.
So while the weight might actually be 3.02 carats, it looks like only 1.9 carats because it’s just 7.35 square face up. It can’t be set nice and low because it’s got a HUGE underneath (pavilion).
And it is in all probability clarity enhanced too.
So $10,000 Is NO bargain at all.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is the worst part of being on PS. People going ahead and buying when everyone has warned against the purchase. Especially when returns are questionable or will prove impossible. :cry2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the worst part of being on PS. People going ahead and buying when everyone has warned against the purchase. Especially when returns are questionable or will prove impossible. :cry2:
The best thing about Pricescope is that we are honest and forthright.
I think I can say on behalf of other PSers that all we hope and want to do is help others buy the best diamond, setting, sapphire or whathaveyou that the available $$$$ can buy, whether that’s $1,000 or $100,000.
Collectively as consumers we have vast knowledge and millions of dollars spent on jewellery and we are more than happy to help, share, advise, counsel and support anyone who reaches out.
Whether or not a person enquirying on this forum will take our advice on board is up to them.
The poster wanted to know if the diamond he had bought from an Afghan bazaar vendor made would appraise realistically for $18k to $20k after being “set” in a diamond halo ring and the instant and overwhelming response from the experienced and knowledgeable contributors here was a big fat NO.
Personally I hope he can return it and get a full refund because that vendor took complete advantage of his trust, naivety and lack of experience. That Afghan vendor isn’t his “friend” despite his previous purchases.
That Afghan vendor isn’t giving “his new friend” a “special bargain price for you” $10,000 ring worth $18,000 to $20,000l. He is taking $10,000 hard earnt dollars for a ring that the guy would be lucky to get a few grand for if he wants to resell it.
Shame.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
92DC917A-2888-4097-8789-6C63799B8A99.jpeg Hmmm, I think this is the full picture.
The poster asked a question previously about a diamond from an Afghan bazaar seller, a 3.05 carat H VS2 diamond, and this is the diamond he bought and had set.
Looking at the original post and photos I can see why this diamond is set so high in the ring and why he saw its weight as being 3.02 carats.
It is at least as deep as it is wide so the “4.31 depth” is wrong on the report ,like totally wrong. Even a casual eyeball glance at the unset stone screams “huge uneven pavilion depth”. Absolutely awful cutting, done solely for weight!
So while the weight might actually be 3.02 carats, it looks like only 1.9 carats because it’s just 7.35 square face up. It can’t be set nice and low because it’s got a HUGE underneath (pavilion).

OMG.
:shock:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Excellent detective work by @Bron357. The loose diamond in this picture looks exactly like the diamond in this ring. Unless the on-base vendor that this ring came from had a doppelganger of the bazaar diamond, I'm gonna go ahead and guess the he bought the diamond from the bazaar and had it set by the vendor who made the ring for him.

Oh dear, I really hope this is not the case, but it sure does look to be the case. If it is, then good luck getting the money back from a bazaar vendor...

The best thing about Pricescope is that we are honest and forthright.
I think I can say on behalf of other PSers that all we hope and want to do is help others buy the best diamond, setting, sapphire or whathaveyou that the available $$$$ can buy, whether that’s $1,000 or $100,000.
Collectively as consumers we have vast knowledge and millions of dollars spent on jewellery and we are more than happy to help, share, advise, counsel and support anyone who reaches out.

Whether or not a person enquirying on this forum will take our advice on board is up to them.

This the main thing I love about PriceScope. Sure, sometimes we have heated 15 page debates on the ACA vs CBI topic that has been re-hashed 1000+ times. And everyone here definitely has their own personal preferences regarding diamonds and colored stones that they can sometimes get defensive over. But on the whole, pretty much all of the knowledgeable regular posters on here genuinely want to help people get the best gemstone/jewelry piece for their money, and will always give their honest opinion on a piece of jewelry or loose gemstone. And whenever somebody is about to get ripped off on a truly terrible gemstone/piece of jewelry, we put our ACA vs CBI vs unbranded differences aside and band together with a collective "NO NO NO DON'T DO IT!!!"

Many new posters have been saved from making terrible mistakes by veteran PS members, and those that listen usually come out the other side with a beautiful piece that is a good buy for their money. But not everyone will listen...

Can't save them all I guess.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results