clarity

Picking up Round Diamond 0.6-0.7 ct budget 2k-2.5k $AUD

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I found this Round Diamond with HCA of 1.6

See characteristics below
diamond_hca_16_0.jpg

Total cost is AU$ 2,010.00 + Tax when it will come to Australia.
Have you got any feedback on that one?
I am trying to get a sparky diamond to go on an engagement ring with side stones.
Thanks a lot for your help,

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi akasty

Firsrtly, the stone is probably fine. An SI1 at that size is unlikely to show any inclusions. However - 2 things to be aware of. I wouldn't go any deeper or you're starting to sacrifice face up size for depth. I prefer to stay below the 61.5 range to maximize size. Secondly, what color are your side stones and what size? If your center stone is a J and you're putting it next to G's, you'll see a difference which your recipient might find disappointing. While I agree with your choice of an SI1 stone, I'd be looking in the H color range with slightly less depth. There is NOTHING wrong with the stone to which you linked us; but I do think you could do a tad better.

Which company is holding this stone and do you want to go with this company specifically? PS members normally recommend an ASET, and that never hurts. Alternately (or additionally), can you get a photo?

ETA Who is providing the setting and what is your budget for this? Am I right in thinking you want to keep your center stone around $1500 US? Are you at all 'budget flexible'? Do you have a hard top figure? Has your girl said what sort of diamonds she likes - size, color, shape?

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I was planning to buy the setting+diamond from either Blue Nile or James Allen as they both have settings she will like.
If I understand correctly, the less depth I have for the same carat, the bigger the face size would be?

Also, not sure if that would make a difference but I said the ring will be a side stones one, but I am also looking at a Pave setting.

Regarding the budget for the diamond, I was looking at diamonds between $1500-$1800 US.
Shape, I would like to have a round diamond, as all the models she showed me ages ago (just browsing jewelry) were with a round diamond and side stones.
Size, I am planning to stay under 0.7-0.8ct as I honestly think going bigger will be "too much" for her hand as she's got thin fingers.
Color, I cannot tell as we have not been browsing together, she is not aware of the ring coming as it will be a surprise. I am trying to get the best bang for bucks (as everybody here) to fit on a Pave or side-stones.

These are the settings I was looking at: (both are pretty similar)
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-white-gold-040ct-common-prong-round-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-7096
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/14k-white-gold-petite-pave-cathedral-engagement-ring-item-49519

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Hi there fellow Aussie :)

I have a J SI1 with fluorescence and to me it faces up really white! Some people would not go below a H or I though, so it's personal preference.

I found a stone on blue nile with good specs, J VS1 and priced similarly to stones of lower clarity. It's true you don't need higher clarity as long as it's eye clean, but when you can't see a stone for yourself, you can never go wrong with higher clarity. It has strong blue fluorescence which can make the stone appear whiter in some lighting, but you need to ask them to make sure it isn't hazy. I think with blue nile, if you need resizing within the first year you can just send it back to an authorised centre in Australia for free resizing. Do you know her ring size? With pave settings, I believe you can't size it up or down too many sizes.
http://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD07520592

Oh, there's also $100 discount if you refer a friend
http://www.bluenile.com/au/inside-blue-nile/refer-a-friend

I also like this stone on JA, but it is more expensive and it looks a bit cloudy to me.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2076369

Good luck :angel:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Akasty - hallo again!

I've bought many, many stones from Blue Nile (probably around 5 dozen separate purchases at this point, or maybe a few more - certainly no less) and also a few from JA. Firstly, if you buy a stone from BN, you can have it set in a JA setting. The reverse, however, is not true. If you buy a stone from JA it can probably be set in all manner of settings - but BN's settings aren't amongst them. BN will only set their own stones in their settings.

This is important because BN's diamond prices tend to be somewhat cheaper than JA's. On the other hand, JA's settings tend to be better than BN's. JA does much better prong work (BN's prong work tends to be lumpy, which is NOT the look you're going for on the face of your ring!) and the quality of their melee (the small stones in pave, for example) is much better than BN's. So I'd be looking to buy my stone from BN and set it in a JA setting.

I far prefer the second setting you linked. it's slightly narrower and, with a smallish stone, will look more elegant and 'make more' of your center stone - which is where the main action is happening!

I've had J colored diamonds - and warmer - but for a solitaire with F/G colored side stones, I'd strongly recommend you staying at an H or above. I color is where you generally start to see tint when viewing from the side. And since you're buying sight-unseen, you don't want to get stiffed with the costs of returning and re-ordering.

Do you know what size your girl's fingers are? Back in the day, Australian women (of which I'm one) used to regularly have engagement rings of around a quarter ct (25 points). Then it seemed to shift to half a ct or larger. Recently, it seems to me that girls are looking for the 1ct sized stone a lot more. Keep in mind, a 1ct stone is still only 6.4mm, so it's never going to overwhelm her fingers. However, prices jump when you hit a ct, so I'd be looking for something .85 and above if your budget will stretch to it. Differences in size of .2mm are generally obvious, so the difference bwteen a 5.7mm stone (.7ct) and a 6.15mm stone (.85ct) is very noticeable.

Yes, the deeper the stone, the smaller the face up size. Here's a set of parameters I like to stay between when buying a round brilliant diamond; it's slightly stricter than normally recommended on PS, but there's plenty of stones that meet these criteria on both BN and JA, and, again, it pays to be conservative when buying sight unseen.

Table - 55-57%
Depth - 60.3 - 61.9%
Crown angle - 34-35 (try to get to 34.5% if you can)
Pavilion angle - 40.6 - 41, but aim for 40.8
Culet - none
Girdle - stay away from very thin or very thick
Polish and Symmetry - Excellent on a GIA stone or Ideal on an AGS stone
Fluorescence - Faint or none. I like fluorescence, but it can look milky in certain diamonds, and since you won't be seeing your stone till after you've bought it, I'd steer clear.
Clarity - SI1 or above
Color - H or above. I'd be willing to stretch it to an I, but a J or below is something that should be chosen only after comparison and with the wearer present, in my opinion.

Stick to these stats and you should get a nice, white stone with plenty of sparkle.

And - just to reiterate - can you tell us your girl's finger size?

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
Hello !

Sorry I did not reply to the question about the ring size because I am still trying to get an accurate measurement, but from the only ring she's got the circumference is around 58mm which seems to convert to a size 8½ if I am correct...
Side note - she is French not Australian - not sure if that changes anything.
And the thing is she does not wear it anymore so I can't remember on which finger she was wearing it... I am trying to find a plan for her to wear it again... haha.
But I keep reading everywhere that average size is from 5 to 7, and she seems to be an 8...so maybe she doesn't have such thin fingers haha.

Thank you for all the parameters, I will look online for a bit.
I was using:
Depth: 60-62.8
Table: 54-58
Crown: 34-35
Pavilion: 40.6-40.9

as recommended per another user on another topic :)

Thanks!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Hi Akasty!

Are you sure the ring is not for a different finger? If you said she has slender fingers, 8 1/2 is quite big
Good luck finding her size :) maybe try a string :rolleyes:

Depth 60-62.8 - I think you mean 62.3/62.4? 62.8 is too deep!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
akastyl13|1474412505|4079018 said:
Hello !

Sorry I did not reply to the question about the ring size because I am still trying to get an accurate measurement, but from the only ring she's got the circumference is around 58mm which seems to convert to a size 8½ if I am correct...
Side note - she is French not Australian - not sure if that changes anything.
And the thing is she does not wear it anymore so I can't remember on which finger she was wearing it... I am trying to find a plan for her to wear it again... haha.
But I keep reading everywhere that average size is from 5 to 7, and she seems to be an 8...so maybe she doesn't have such thin fingers haha.

Thank you for all the parameters, I will look online for a bit.
I was using:
Depth: 60-62.8
Table: 54-58
Crown: 34-35
Pavilion: 40.6-40.9

as recommended per another user on another topic :)

Thanks!

Hi Akasty -

I've not seen anyone recommend up to 62.8 in depth - it's very deep. But either way - the stats you quoted are for 'look at multiple stones between these parameters' sorts of stats. In other words - they're shopping, or browsing stats, if you will. They're for when you can physically look at stones without committing to buy. You can't do that when buying online. The first you see the stone is when it's in your hand. Especially since you're not in the US, it's important to stay within strict guidelines. Ergo the stats I posted you.

And yes - 8.5 is a large finger. Somehow you need to check again. Good luck!

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
Re: Picking up Round Diamond 0.7-0.8 please help

Finally got the right size !

For the story, we were with friends and couple of drinks later, I ask a friend of mine if I can borrow one of her ring.
I hand her ring to my girlfriend and say "here it goes free gift" giving it to my girlfriend.
For some reason (unless she is suspecting something) she puts it on "the" ring finger and it fits perfectly.
Friend took it back later in the night, used a piece of paper and placed it inside the ring, cut it. Measured it the next day back at home !
52mm - size 6.5 :)

Since then I have been directly in store to browse a bit rings/diamonds to see how it looks like in reality.
I am definitely looking for 0.7-0.8 ct with either halo with side-stones or side stones only.

I am planning to get a setting from James Allen as the settings on Blue Nile do not suit me... and probably to avoid any hassle of buying from Blue Nile and "sending" to James Allen I will buy the diamond from James Allen too.
I will post some diamonds I have found once I am done to get a bit of advise.

Thanks,

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

akastyl13|1474671897|4080115 said:

For the story, we were with friends and couple of drinks later, I ask a friend of mine if I can borrow one of her ring.
I hand her ring to my girlfriend and say "here it goes free gift" giving it to my girlfriend.
For some reason (unless she is suspecting something) she puts it on "the" ring finger and it fits perfectly.
Friend took it back later in the night, used a piece of paper and placed it inside the ring, cut it. Measured it the next day back at home !

Since then I have been directly in store to browse a bit rings/diamonds to see how it looks like in reality.
I am definitely looking for 0.7-0.8 ct with either halo with side-stones or side stones only.

I am planning to get a setting from James Allen as the settings on Blue Nile do not suit me... and probably to avoid any hassle of buying from Blue Nile and "sending" to James Allen I will buy the diamond from James Allen too.

Thanks,
:appl: that's a great story and what a way to find out her ring size! :sun:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

akastyl13|1474671897|4080115 said:

Thanks,

Akasty -

I think this is a better idea than .6 - .7ct - just a tad more substantial, y'know? I'd be looking for a delicate halo as 6.5 is still a generous finger size (for example, Tiffany's standard size on their rings is a size 6), and it will take some thoughtful setting to make everything look proportional. A halo will do that better than anything else, short of a 3 stone setting, and I think it will look elegant and appropriate on her finger without being at all overpowering.

I agree with your decision to go with a JA setting - and even a JA stone, as long as you're prepared to pay a slight premium. Stay within the stats I posted and try for a depth % that is no more than 62% and you should do just fine. :)

Good luck!

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for your help -
Another question about the ring size - I measured 52mm which seems to be between size 6 and size 6 1/4.
Should I got with size 6? Will it make a big difference?

Also, I have found this ring which I really like (seems like I cannot find anything with a halo that I like)
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/jeff-cooper/14k-white-gold-carie-engagement-ring-by-jeff-cooper-item-54248

This is definitely the style she will like if I do not go with a halo. If you have any suggestions please feel free to share it!
there is only a view with a 1.1 ct, do you think it will still look nice with a 0.7-0.8 ?

Thank you very much!

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
Temperature plays a large role in how a ring fits. If you're in SYD, then it was likely a bit chilly the other evening when you were out for drinks. It will be a tighter fit in the Summer, so you may want to go with the 6.25? Then again, it is easier to size a ring up than down... I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I am will respond!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd go with the 6.25 size as well. she can always have it sized if needed. I'm a 5.5 ring but mine is sized 5.75 because my fingers swell up in the summer heat. in the winter they are really loose but i cannot stand them to be tight in the summer.

Love the Jeff Cooper setting, very classy. A smaller stone will look really nice in that setting.

As far as halos, these (falling edge) are probably the most popular JA settings here:

round outline
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492

cushion outline:
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...tline-falling-edge-engagement-ring-item-53073

i do like this one too though

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...amond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-17445

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
arkieb1|1474897993|4080845 said:
Have you ever considered preloved? You will get a bit more for your $$$$. Some options;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/1-09ctw-round-brilliant-cut-diamond-3-stone-ring-by-ritani#.V-kq6CgVq5Q

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but this is a stunning ring, great price too, and a bonus the correct size;

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/new-videos-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-pave-platinum-engagement-ring-6-dot-25
That cushion is stunning and such a bonus at the correct size. The seller doesn't ship overseas though :wall: and how would GST/duty work for preloved items?

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
istase2000 said:
Have you ever considered preloved? You will get a bit more for your $$$$. Some options;

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/1-09ctw-round-brilliant-cut-diamond-3-stone-ring-by-ritani#.V-kq6CgVq5Q</span>

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but this is a stunning ring, great price too, and a bonus the correct size;

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/new-videos-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-pave-platinum-engagement-ring-6-dot-25</span>
That cushion is stunning and such a bonus at the correct size. The seller doesn't ship overseas though :wall: and how would GST/duty work for preloved items?

Arkieb1, this ring look stunning ! But istase2000 is correct it does not ship international so it won't be able to get it in Australia.

Actually you raised a point - I never thought of getting something different than a round cut.
And it seems that I might be able to get a bit more for $$$ by going with a cushion ?
Could someone tell me what are the main difference between a cushion and round cut? It seems the cushion is flat on the top so I better get good clarity and good color?
If someone could give some advises on cushion vs round, greatly appreciated. And same, would you be happy to offer/receive an engagement ring with cushion cut?

Like I said, she does not know anything about jewelry (same as me as you can tell) but I want to get her the best I can :)

Note - I was saying budget 2k-2.5k for the diamond, but I am now looking at 2.5k-3k + around 1.5k for the setting.
Total 4.5-5k whole up :)

I really like the Jeff Cooper ring and going towards that setting (that only fits a round cut) or something similar to that setting (thank you farahlyn)
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-17445

Once again, thanks for your help !

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
It wouldn't hurt to ask if they are willing to ship to Australia. I feel that an antique cushion is quite unique/classic and your lady would love it :) oh and it's platinum too!

akastyl13

Rough_Rock

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-modern/1-09ctw-round-brilliant-cut-diamond-3-stone-ring-by-ritani#.V-kq6CgVq5Q

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/new-videos-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-pave-platinum-engagement-ring-6-dot-25

Hi arkie and istase2000 !
I am currently in discussion with the seller and they are happy to ship to Australia the 2nd ring.
Thanks a lot for your knowledge and help.

I have got the Certificate of Appraisal from Mark Broumand - is that good enough to qualify the value and quality of the diamond?
Thanks a lot

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
akastyl13|1475028569|4081460 said:

Hi arkie and istase2000 !
I am currently in discussion with the seller and they are happy to ship to Australia the 2nd ring.
Thanks a lot for your knowledge and help.

I have got the Certificate of Appraisal from Mark Broumand - is that good enough to qualify the value and quality of the diamond?
Thanks a lot
Hi akastyl13

I'm glad you are considering that ring - it is such a beauty and the price is very good. Honestly, the quality of the setting/pave work is beautiful!

Arkie should be able to shed more light as she is more knowledgable :) but these are just my 2 cents.

Here is the link to the original ring: http://www.markbroumand.com/1.41-antique-cushion-brilliant-diamond-engagement-ring-2781-1d2762486/

I also saw the seller list that ring for $3500US on ebay previously - what is the value on the appraisal? Also, how will you be paying? If you pay via paypal you should have buyer's protection and can get it verified by a jeweler when it arrives. And if you do pay via paypal, I would link it with a citibank plus debit card so you can get the best exchange rate and no international transaction fees. If you have a 28 degrees credit card or bankwest zero platinum they also have no fees.

Alternatively, you could pay via OFX but you wouldn't have buyer's protection.

Also, how will insurance work?
Will the seller declare the full value of the ring as anything over $1000 AUD will incur tax and $50 customs fee. If you want to avoid the 5% duty on arrival and only pay 10% GST, the seller needs to provide a declaration that the item was manufactures in the US. (not sure if this needs to be from the manufacturer or not)

Super excited for you :sun:

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
Hi istase !

The value of appraisal is $7,495.00 USD. And we are settling for around $2,000 USD.
Do you think that sounds normal? I mean that is a huge difference...

I will pay via paypal and use the buyer protection.

Thank you for the tip about the duty and GST - will definetely do that !

Edit - do you think the seller should declare it is above $1,000? If not, besides of not paying tax will it change anything?

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
akastyl13|1475030387|4081472 said:
Hi istase !

The value of appraisal is $7,495.00 USD. And we are settling for around $2,000 USD.
Do you think that sounds normal? I mean that is a huge difference...

I will pay via paypal and use the buyer protection.

Thank you for the tip about the duty and GST - will definetely do that !

Edit - do you think the seller should declare it is above $1,000? If not, besides of not paying tax will it change anything?
From what I've seen here, appraisals are generally more than what you pay (sometimes significantly more). This is also because online retailers are more fairly priced than stores. As a guess, your ring would be at least $4000 USD+ if you were to buy it new, likely more.

Will they insure the package when they ship it? You would want to be insured for the full amount you paid (i.e. 2000 USD). I think in that case, you should declare the full 2000. If you declare say 760USD (~ 1000 Aud) then you can only insure that amount.

Hope someone else can chime in

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
And...I just bought it!
Thanks a lot for your help !!
Istase, how can I get it checked out in Sydney? Should I just call any jeweler and ask for a check?
I will post picture of it once I receive it!!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
akastyl13|1475033428|4081503 said:
And...I just bought it!
Istase, how can I get it checked out in Sydney? Should I just call any jeweler and ask for a check?
Congratulations!

Please post photos when your receive it especially hand shots after the proposal!

Here is an example if the declaration to avoid paying duty
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ausfta-buying-stone-and-setting-from-different-vendor.221567/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ausfta-buying-stone-and-setting-from-different-vendor.221567/[/URL]

I'm not 100% sure, you could try get a jeweler to look at it or a formal appraisal. You could start a new thread to ask the question:)

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
akastyl13 said:
And...I just bought it!

Based on my own research on these boards, I would get Gem Studies Laboratory in Sydney to provide an independent appraisal. You should then be able to get it insured through Q Report which is a specialized Australian jewelry insurer.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
Hi there - She said YES ! :)

Here are some shots - Also, I have added a shot of the sun light reflection on the wall - is that normal ? Thanks !
Once again, thank you everybody for your help !

14625340_10154619827073256_290902674_n.jpg
14607904_10154619827153256_1761623494_n.jpg
20161102_173422.jpg

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Wow congratulations akastyl13! :love:

I was beginning to wonder if you received the ring safely. It looks beautiful on her finger, does she love it? Is the sizing correct or do you need to resize it?

akastyl13

Rough_Rock
Thank you Istase2000 !

She loves the ring, and she had a lot of compliments on it. The size is perfect.
We were in Fiji when I asked, and it fitted just in - back to Sydney her finger size reduced slightly (temperature difference) but it's all good there is no need to resize it.
The seller communication was great and the packaging was so secure, attached with a little congratulations letter which really pleased me.
Seems like the ring was waiting for us :)

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Wow, really happy it all worked out for you, it's like that ring was meant to be yours. All the best to you and your fiancee!
The sparkles on the wall is normal - I've seen many pictures posted here of the diamond reflecting in their car etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results