shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking Between Two Oval Diamonds - Help Please

KirkB

Rough_Rock
Thank you anyone for any help or thoughts. I bought an oval last week from James Allen. I like it but this is the first oval diamond I have ever seen in person in my price range ~$9,000. However, I could not stop looking after receive it and I think I found one that I may like better.

I think I would like it better because it seems to have a noticeable amount more brilliance (sparkle when it rotates on the James Allen site) and the shape is a little fatter. It is only a few hundred dollars more expensive.

Original Oval Bought (considering returning): 1.3 G VS1 - http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.30-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-281402

New Oval Considering: 1.4 G VS2 - http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.40-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-251219

The original diamond has no bowtie and this new oval appears to not have one either. Both have great depth to table numbers. In getting the new diamond I would sacrifice some in symmetry, polish, and girdle (all better in original diamond) to get a diamond that may sparkle and appear more lively and have a shape I think I would like more.

Does anyone agree with me the new oval seems to have more brilliance? Would you make the switch?

Should I order the other one as well and just return the one I like less?

Does anyone have a compelling oval under $9,500 that may blow either of these out of the water?

ASET of original diamond attached. Out of ASET requests from James Allen to get one for the new diamond. Would it help anyone if I posted a picture of the original diamond on my hand?

_18598.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Picking Between Two Ovals Diamonds - Help Please

KirkB|1401036102|3679722 said:
Thank you anyone for any help or thoughts. I bought an oval last week from James Allen. I like it but this is the first oval diamond I have ever seen in person in my price range ~$9,000. However, I could not stop looking after receive it and I think I found one that I may like better.

I think I would like it better because it seems to have a noticeable amount more brilliance (sparkle when it rotates on the James Allen site) and the shape is a little fatter. It is only a few hundred dollars more expensive.

Original Oval Bought (considering returning): 1.3 G VS1 - http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.30-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-281402

New Oval Considering: 1.4 G VS2 - http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.40-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-251219

The original diamond has no bowtie and this new oval appears to not have one either. Both have great depth to table numbers. In getting the new diamond I would sacrifice some in symmetry, polish, and girdle (all better in original diamond) to get a diamond that may sparkle and appear more lively and have a shape I think I would like more.

Does anyone agree with me the new oval seems to have more brilliance? Would you make the switch?

Should I order the other one as well and just return the one I like less?

Does anyone have a compelling oval under $9,500 that may blow either of these out of the water?

ASET of original diamond attached. Out of ASET requests from James Allen to get one for the new diamond. Would it help anyone if I posted a picture of the original diamond on my hand?

Hi Kirk,

I cannot remember oval shapes ever getting this amount of attention before in all my years here, they are a classic and beautiful shape and it's good to see these stones get some attention!

We can certainly have a look for you, I assume your budget is for the diamond only? With the original stone I think you are not being unreasonable in considering returning it. You don't appear enamoured now you have it in person, the ASET image also would match that feeling, my thoughts on that image are as follows, take this diamond away from any bright lighting powering it and chances are, it's going to go flat. The thing is, with the potential replacement, would you be gaining much by buying it, it does look more appealing to me but we would need an ASET image to learn more, but let's see what else is out there. Also, you can't go by the numbers in these shapes, images are the proof of the pudding, then those of your own eyes discerning the beauty of any given stone.

Let's have a look around and see what we can find, did you want to try to stick to G colour and VS clarity, or are you somewhat flexible? I found this one for comparison purposes within budget, it is nicely cut and if you obtained an ASET for the JA oval you are considering, if you were interested in this diamond, it gives you another to think about. Within budget if you pay via bank wire.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4987602-1.51-carat-Oval-diamond-H-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=4987602&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new choice looks pretty good.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KirkB|1401036102|3679722 said:

I would switch! I love the 1.4 oval -- I've been eyeing it for a while now... :love: The ASET of the first diamond doesn't look that great, but you could ask the SA to compare the two and let you know verbally. :))

KirkB

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei, thank you very much for offering to help. I am flexible and open and to considering other diamonds besides these two. This is generally what I think I want.

Diamond must be under $10,000. Must be an oval, eye clean (VS2+ maybe a really good Si1 that is eye clean), G+ Color (Maybe H+ but I am concerned about the color. Should I let this be H/I+?), symmetry and polish I guess good+, no florescence, l/w ratio average not too skinny or fat (1.35 - 1.42 leaning on the fatter side a little), table and depth % maximized to produce best brilliance, sparkle, and fire with no noticeable bow tie.

In the end the gf wants an oval as big as possible (with no real understanding of any of the 4 Cs). I am willing to go down in color and clarity to get bigger as long as the diamonds performance warrants sacrificing in these areas.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KirkB|1401037401|3679731 said:
Hi Lorelei, thank you very much for offering to help. I am flexible and open and to considering other diamonds besides these two. This is generally what I think I want.

Diamond must be under $10,000. Must be an oval, eye clean (VS2+ maybe a really good Si1 that is eye clean), G+ Color (Maybe H+ but I am concerned about the color. Should I let this be H/I+?), symmetry and polish I guess good+, no florescence, l/w ratio average not too skinny or fat (1.35 - 1.42 leaning on the fatter side a little), table and depth % maximized to produce best brilliance, sparkle, and fire with no noticeable now tie. H colour is a definite possibility, even in this size stone it should look very white, I would also consider I colour as these too can face up very white but in this size you might notice a hint of warmth from the side, but not always the case. Table and depth, those 2 measurements really don't have any bearing on a diamond's performance, it's far more complex than that unfortunately. Images are the best way to select and reject such as ASET and detailed photos. Bow tie, a trusted vendor is your best bet there, it's not really possible to judge the presence of a bow tie properly from one static image, a vendor that can see the stone can advise. Although it's difficult to find an elongated shape without a bow tie, they can be minimized but you can't do that by basic measurements regrettably. SI1 clarity would also be a good compromise if verified eye clean to your specifications.

In the end the gf wants an oval as big as possible (with no real understanding of any of the 4 Cs). I am willing to go down in color and clarity to get bigger as long as the diamonds performance warrants sacrificing in these areas.

Hi Kirk, thoughts above in bold. Understood with your last sentence and I think that's a very sensible approach.

KirkB

Rough_Rock
Thank you Julie and MSOP for the replies and opinions! Lorelei I really like the diamond you added to your initial reply and maybe even more then my other new diamond :). Getting a 1.5 would be pretty cool and it looks like the faceup size of your suggestion would appear bigger then my new 1.4 .

This is the search I was using on PriceScope to try and find others. The search constraints still leave me with too many its overwhelming to consider.

Search Link: https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/Ep8KxTqe

I am definitely considering the one you posted now from B2C against the other new diamond from JA I posted above.

I would be greatly appreciative of any other suggestions.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond must be under $10,000. Must be an oval, eye clean (VS2+ maybe a really good Si1 that is eye clean), G+ Color (Maybe H+ but I am concerned about the color. Should I let this be H/I+?), symmetry and polish I guess good+, no florescence, l/w ratio average not too skinny or fat (1.35 - 1.42 leaning on the fatter side a little), table and depth % maximized to produce best brilliance, sparkle, and fire with no noticeable bow tie.

OP, how type of setting does your FF want?? The reason I ask is that I feel a halo tents to "round out" an oval that may be a bit on the skinny side. (this is just my opinion, of course) :)) Also, the halo will add considerable finger coverage, should you find the "perfect oval" that is just a bit smaller than you had planned on purchasing.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a halo will definitely round out the overall look of a skinny oval. Because math.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KirkB|1401039569|3679750 said:
Thank you Julie and MSOP for the replies and opinions! Lorelei I really like the diamond you added to your initial reply and maybe even more then my other new diamond :). Getting a 1.5 would be pretty cool and it looks like the faceup size of your suggestion would appear bigger then my new 1.4 .

This is the search I was using on PriceScope to try and find others. The search constraints still leave me with too many its overwhelming to consider.

Search Link: https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/Ep8KxTqe

I am definitely considering the one you posted now from B2C against the other new diamond from JA I posted above.

I would be greatly appreciative of any other suggestions.

Very glad to help, I like the look of that one too! I know what you mean with the amount of stones to choose from, that's why it's best to stick to in house diamonds otherwise it's really buying blind trying to choose between them just from a couple of measurements. It would be very cool to get 1.5 cts I must admit and it's from an excellent vendor too, let us know what happens. I would contact B2C as soon as possible concerning that diamond as it appears ovals are getting a popularity surge, wouldn't want that one or your other James Allen contender to get snatched out from under you. ;))

PS - I really like the halo idea if your lady likes that look too, it could visually round out the size of the oval and give it an extra size boost too.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Picking Between Two Ovals Diamonds - Help Please

Lorelei|1401036549|3679725 said:
Let's have a look around and see what we can find, did you want to try to stick to G colour and VS clarity, or are you somewhat flexible? I found this one for comparison purposes within budget, it is nicely cut and if you obtained an ASET for the JA oval you are considering, if you were interested in this diamond, it gives you another to think about. Within budget if you pay via bank wire.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4987602-1.51-carat-Oval-diamond-H-color-VS1-Clarity.aspx?sku=4987602&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Oh, how I wish all vendors would take a cue from JA and have a 360 video of their stones... I'd love to see this one in action!! :bigsmile:

KirkB

Rough_Rock
Ok I have the Lorelei 1.51 one on lockdown as well hah! Looking through the B2C selection I got the following 6 other diamonds that seem to all be worthy competitors to the initial 1.51 B2C diamond we are liking. Any of these others stand out as worthy competitors? Should I talk to B2C tomorrow and see what they can do to help me find the best between these 6 and the original posted by Lorelei?

6_diamonds.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KirkB|1401041933|3679770 said:
Ok I have the Lorelei 1.51 one on lockdown as well hah! Looking through the B2C selection I got the following 6 other diamonds that seem to all be worthy competitors to the initial 1.51 B2C diamond we are liking. Any of these others stand out as worthy competitors? Should I talk to B2C tomorrow and see what they can do to help me find the best between these 6 and the original posted by Lorelei?

You don't mess around.... :naughty: :appl:

What I would do is contact Brian at B2C and ask his opinion, these might be virtual diamonds on the main database that aren't inventory stock of B2C, but find out for sure, then tell him your requirements and see which he suggests with the ones you posted above and the 1.51 which appears to be in house with B2C but regardless, it has some analysis done on the optics. Without images of each we can't get a good comparison but let's see what else Brian comes up with. Then if you get an ASET for the other James Allen, we should be in the best position to compare.

KirkB

Rough_Rock
msop04|1401039858|3679754 said:

OP, how type of setting does your FF want?? The reason I ask is that I feel a halo tents to "round out" an oval that may be a bit on the skinny side. (this is just my opinion, of course) :)) Also, the halo will add considerable finger coverage, should you find the "perfect oval" that is just a bit smaller than you had planned on purchasing.

Unfortunately, she very much does not want a halo. She wants a solitaire oval set atop a microprawn pave diamond ring like either of these settings:

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Jeanette-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-481.htm
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Thin-Pave-Ring-With-Matching-Band-476.htm

Lorelei I will see if I can get in touch with Brian when I speak to someone at B2C and see if I should consider any of the other 6 ontop of the your original 1.51.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KirkB|1401043777|3679784 said:
[quote="

Unfortunately, she very much does not want a halo. She wants a solitaire oval set atop a microprawn pave diamond ring like either of these settings:

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Jeanette-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-481.htm
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Thin-Pave-Ring-With-Matching-Band-476.htm

Lorelei I will see if I can get in touch with Brian when I speak to someone at B2C and see if I should consider any of the other 6 ontop of the your original 1.51.

That sounds like a plan Kirk, please keep us posted! Beautiful settings too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results