shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking a Carat Size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smileyb

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I was hoping I could get some useful feedback. My boyfriend is in the process of picking out a diamond for me. I am a size 6 ring and wondering if a 1.1 carat diamond will look too small on my ring finger. I would love to have something that stands out. I'm not talking about Paris Hilton size! But something that I will want to wear for life. I also don't want him to spend a fortune. I think price wise he is most interested in getting a 1.10 H&A cut. And before he makes the huge investment, I want to make sure when we see the 1.1 we won't be disappointed. I suggested a thinner band, to make it looker bigger? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Conflagration

Rough_Rock
1.1 will look VERY nice on a size 6. I think you will be pleased.

Congrats to you both.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I think it will be great! I agree that a thinner band makes it look bigger, and I think the diamond looks bigger when it is set high. I think my setting enhances the size of my diamond, if you want a reference :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:09:08 AM
Author:smileyb
Hello All,

I was hoping I could get some useful feedback. My boyfriend is in the process of picking out a diamond for me. I am a size 6 ring and wondering if a 1.1 carat diamond will look too small on my ring finger. I would love to have something that stands out. I''m not talking about Paris Hilton size! But something that I will want to wear for life. I also don''t want him to spend a fortune. I think price wise he is most interested in getting a 1.10 H&A cut. And before he makes the huge investment, I want to make sure when we see the 1.1 we won''t be disappointed. I suggested a thinner band, to make it looker bigger? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Have you tried on some rings of that size? I think that size is very nice for a size 6 finger. The H&A is awesome, no way would you be disappointed. I always think the thinner the band the more the stone POPS so your BF is spot on. Guessing he''s been reading here a lot?? That''s a very good thing. Best of luck to you!!!
35.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:09:08 AM
Author:smileyb
Hello All,

I was hoping I could get some useful feedback. My boyfriend is in the process of picking out a diamond for me. I am a size 6 ring and wondering if a 1.1 carat diamond will look too small on my ring finger. I would love to have something that stands out. I'm not talking about Paris Hilton size! But something that I will want to wear for life. I also don't want him to spend a fortune. I think price wise he is most interested in getting a 1.10 H&A cut. And before he makes the huge investment, I want to make sure when we see the 1.1 we won't be disappointed. I suggested a thinner band, to make it looker bigger? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Yes, I have a thought other than what you've mentioned but I don't know if you're going to like it (very few people would).

If you would love to have something that stands out, you could try something in this territory of color: this is 1.74 and IF! I think it would stand out in good way. I love this color (again I know most people don't). But look at this size, IF, and this price! Also, it's H&A AGS O. GOG has stones like this all time.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=221&shape=1&clarity=2&color=2048&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1

It's only $7,800.

Watch the video before you decide you think it's "yellow" or "ugly"!

*thud*

Otherwise, I suggest, yes, that you try the 1.1 on yourself to make sure that you will be satisfied with the size for the rest of your life. Personally, I think it's a great size! Personally, though, I'm just not that into high color. Good luck!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think the 1.1 carat will look wonderful on your hand. That being said you should go try some on and see what you both think
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 12:44:11 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Have you tried on some rings of that size? I think that size is very nice for a size 6 finger. The H&A is awesome, no way would you be disappointed. I always think the thinner the band the more the stone POPS so your BF is spot on. Guessing he's been reading here a lot?? That's a very good thing. Best of luck to you!!!
35.gif
Ditto. I would suggest going to a jeweler that carries Hearts on Fire, or other well cut stones to get an idea on size. They will be facing up as they should for their carat weight. Mall stones and the like could possibly be cut very deep (face up smaller), or rather shallow (face up larger). So you need to be looking at a true representation.
28.gif

And have fun!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think that size will be gorgeous on your finger. However, if you are in the market for tons of finger coverage, then you may want to try a setting like the Ritani Endless Love Halo. Adding a diamond halo around the stone makes it look at least twice as large.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I think a 1.1 it''s a good size for a finger size 6. To get the thin band it''s a great idea. And RB cuts always look bigger than any other cut. If after that you still filling the ring is not big enough, you can add some side stones to cover more finguer.

Good luck
1.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1ct pendant that I just put on my size 7 finger. It looks good!
9.gif

But unlike others, I don''t recommend putting it on a thin band unless she has very small fingers, as I think the overall look enhances finger size.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Smileyb!

I think any size that he gets for you will stand out :)

dec2410

Shiny_Rock
i have a size 6 ring finger and i''m hoping for a center stone ranging from 1ct and 1.25. i personally love the look of that size on my finger. also, i usually DON''T like the look of super thin rings on my finger, they tend to make my finger look sausage-y. (granted my size 6 is on my little dwarf hands thus the sausage-y-ness. i know middle schoolers with bigger hands than me. haha. if you have longer fingers, i''m sure you won''t have a sausage issue. hehe.)

all-in-all, even with my chubby little hands, a 1.1 looks fabulous. especially if you''re looking at h&a, you really can''t go wrong.

just my $.02! good luck!!!
35.gif

chicago1234

Rough_Rock
i have some thoughts, but you might consider me biased...

smileyb

Rough_Rock
I just looked at the Ritani setting, and I def like it except, have you seen any like that but without the pave on the side?

Thanks for your help!

smileyb

Rough_Rock
Something like this maybe

2503RD75_multi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results