shape
carat
color
clarity

Picked out my DIAMOND! What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

house_64

Rough_Rock
Well, I went to go see the molds of my ER and WB today and to pick out a diamond for the setting... after going back and forth about getting an EGL USA certified diamond I couldn''t get past it not being a GIA. So, I asked to see one of each and coincidentally the first diamond that I saw today is the one I eventually went with (The GIA Cert. Diamond). (The last 4 hour visit I saw about 15 diamonds). I am very happy with what I got and just went over budget by a wee-bit.

Here are the Specs.:

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.24 - 7.29 - 4.59 mm
1.51 Ct wt.
Color: G
Clarity: Si1
Cut Grade: Very Good
Depth: 63.2%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 35.5 Degree
Crown Height: 16%
Pavilion Angle: 41 Degree
Pavilion Depth: 43.5 %
Star Length: 60%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Clouds are not shown

Price: $8600.00

Any thoughts? Is it a decent price?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
House,

It doesn''t score very well on the HCA . . . do you have an IS image?
As far as the price, I couldn''t find any other G SI1 1.5 ct diamonds for $8600 . . . but you will likely be compromising cut quality for size. I don''t know what size you are looking for specifically but here is one that is slightly smaller with one kinda big inclusion but if it is eye clean, it would be a better choice, IMHO . . .

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=879940

Have you considered buying online?
Was this the prettiest of all the 15 diamonds? Were any of those ideally cut? Did you get to see this diamond out of the jewelers lights?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s too deep, sorry to be brutally honest. You can find a diamond with smaller carat weight and better performance that faces up the same size as this stone.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 12:49:16 AM
Author: kcoursolle
It''s too deep, sorry to be brutally honest. You can find a diamond with smaller carat weight and better performance that faces up the same size as this stone.
Ditto. Why pay for size when you aren''t seeing it? I''d get a well cut smaller carat weight diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 1.5 ct. stone should have a diameter of about 7.4mm. That one is about the size of a 1.33 ct. stone. The price reflects the smaller size, though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will agree, because of the depth, it's facing up at what my 1.4 measures. So, you are paying for the magic number, but you're not getting it's look. Whether that bothers you, only you can answer.

As for the numbers, they're not what we typically pick around here. But, you had the advantage of seeing it, and obviously liked it, eyes do trump numbers. However, let me ask you this. Do you know the numbers of the other stones you compared it to? What I'm getting at is this, if the other stones had worse numbers, then yes, this one would probably look the best. If there were stones with better numbers, and you like this one, then, your eyes have told you what you like, and again, that trumps everything.

Just some food for thought.
1.gif

house_64

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 9:09:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
A 1.5 ct. stone should have a diameter of about 7.4mm. That one is about the size of a 1.33 ct. stone. The price reflects the smaller size, though.
So are you saying the price is what I would be paying for a 1.33 verses the 1.51 that it is?

house_64

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 8:15:56 AM
Author: Ellen
Whether that bothers you, only you can answer.

As for the numbers, they''re not what we typically pick around here. But, you had the advantage of seeing it, and obviously liked it, eyes do trump numbers.

However, let me ask you this. Do you know the numbers of the other stones you compared it to? What I''m getting at is this, if the other stones had worse numbers, then yes, this one would probably look the best. If there were stones with better numbers, and you like this one, then, your eyes have told you what you like, and again, that trumps everything.

Just some food for thought.
1.gif
Thanks for the insight.... I thought I had found the "perfect" diamond (I''m obviously not very experienced!) I did like how it stood out than the rest but then again I was comparing them to other diamonds that were EGL certified. If it in fact does have a smaller face it was very minimal to my eyes.... very, very minimal but I couldn''t tell the difference. As for numbers, I did see some numbers but I had no ideal what was what. However, it was between this and a "F", Si1, "Ideal", EGL certified diamond for essentially the same price except I haggled the GIA diamond down about $600 and no tax......
32.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
House, I''ll just give you my .02, and you can spend it any way you like.
2.gif

If I were you, and there were any way to back out of this sale, I would. Then I''d spend some time here reading the tutorials, also at GoodOldGold, there''s a weath of info.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/

Then I''d hit some stores that sell exceptionally cut diamonds, like Hearts On Fire and other branded diamonds. Look at a lot, get the feel for what a really well cut diamond looks like.

Then go shopping. This is a lot of money, and a very important purchase.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The actual depth is a bit much, also this is what is known as a steep/deep with the crown and pavillion angles, which can affect performance. That being said, if your eyes loved this diamond, then that is the main thing, otherwise, do what Ellen suggested, read up some more, then go shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results