shape
carat
color
clarity

Pick a malaia garnet

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I like the paler pink. I always prefer a blue based pink rather than a orangy pink.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Prefer the smaller peachier one myself

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Update peeps! I ended up passing on both stones because I don’t like the cut. I want the bigger faceted antique like cut. The flashes of these stone in traditional cuts were too a busy and small. I ended up lighting the pale color more because it is better in non-filtered light. The indoor photos were taken by windows with some taint color. For $4K+, I want to get exactly what I want, so I’m back to the waiting game until more of these gems are unearthed and polished! Thanks for all your inputs! I’ll keep you dated!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely stones though, where were they from, if you don't mind me asking?

Update peeps! I ended up passing on both stones because I don’t like the cut. I want the bigger faceted antique like cut. The flashes of these stone in traditional cuts were too a busy and small. I ended up lighting the pale color more because it is better in non-filtered light. The indoor photos were taken by windows with some taint color. For $4K+, I want to get exactly what I want, so I’m back to the waiting game until more of these gems are unearthed and polished! Thanks for all your inputs! I’ll keep you dated!

Not what I expected. But glad you know exactly what you want and aren't willing to compromise so early in the game. Guess we'll have to keep shopping!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

I feel like you made the right choice. It didn’t seem like you were in love with either of them.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@clcat120 this one is smaller, but gorgeously cut! Maybe reach out to him?? He has lots of happy customers here on PS. I'm just a fan at this point.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I found the stone!!! I am so excited. The seller is giving me a day to play with it, and it will be sunny in NYC tomorrow! I will share more videos then. Here is a sneak peek of the 7.5ct beauty! I will also share the video of the stone responds to magnet! It’s very cool! :kiss2::kiss2: AA2BB1AB-5809-460F-8540-3546047D999C.jpeg

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I found the stone!!! I am so excited. The seller is giving me a day to play with it, and it will be sunny in NYC tomorrow! I will share more videos then. Here is a sneak peek of the 7.5ct beauty! I will also share the video of the stone responds to magnet! It’s very cool! :kiss2::kiss2: AA2BB1AB-5809-460F-8540-3546047D999C.jpeg

That is gorgeous :kiss2:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock

So much better! I love the cut on this. Sometimes I worry to point out the flaws in stones if it doesn’t seem like the OP is asking for them. But while the previous stones were windowed, this one will not have one at all. The saturation and clarity is superb! What color would you call this, mandarin orange-pink?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, nice find!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@clcat120 this new one is gorgeous! As stated before, a much better cut. Warmer color compared to previous (if that matters to you). I'm looking forward to seeing the videos.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock

I LOVE this color! Cant wait to see your photos!

How exciting! And how awesome the seller will let you spend the day with it just so you can be super sure before committing. Hope it'll be a beautiful sunny day tmrw and you can take all the pics!

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Some pictures... 67520AE2-2CBE-4374-9586-E18AAF4892C1.jpeg

Attachments

• DFE65EA0-D3F7-4EE2-8A5F-5131C0B151BA.jpeg
    DFE65EA0-D3F7-4EE2-8A5F-5131C0B151BA.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 47
  • FFEB0EA8-D167-424D-B9D8-5A7F93701910.jpeg
    FFEB0EA8-D167-424D-B9D8-5A7F93701910.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 46

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowwww its super pretty!! Congrats !

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So much better! I love the cut on this. Sometimes I worry to point out the flaws in stones if it doesn’t seem like the OP is asking for them. But while the previous stones were windowed, this one will not have one at all. The saturation and clarity is superb! What color would you call this, mandarin orange-pink?

I don’t know. But it looks quite peachy to me. It is probably close to sunset than lotus. I totally took it for a grocery shopping trip. Lol FE1A56D7-2433-4A9D-86AD-E55541D9DF36.jpeg

Attachments

• DF875939-4FE7-4AC3-A0EE-684162A914B5.jpeg
    DF875939-4FE7-4AC3-A0EE-684162A914B5.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 47

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I’m sorry if I’m a bit obsessive with videos... however, I want to make sure I’m not hallucinating. This stone turned green under UV lamp!!!??? I am going to try again during the day tomorrow!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry if I’m a bit obsessive with videos... however, I want to make sure I’m not hallucinating. This stone turned green under UV lamp!!!??? I am going to try again during the day tomorrow!

Maybe it's something like this, but the other way around?

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Honestly, I don’t know what to make out of this color change under the 311nm UVB light... it’s not florescence and it does not really change colors btw daylight and incandescent light... BBB172DC-A154-46EE-93A2-F0AB10ACD49D.jpeg

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That seems unusual. I did a quick Google search and didn’t find anything about Malaia garnets turning green under UV. @Nosean might be able to help if they see this..

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I like the darker pink which is just a personal preference. You have nice hands. And I may need to own a Malaia garnet.

I agreed with the seller that we will get the stone certified. I am only buying it if it is a pyrope-spessartine. Other than that, I welcome this interesting phenomenon of this stone!!! May have something to do with the rutile inclusion this stone has. These fine "silk" like inclusions are slightly visible to naked eyes when this stone is exposed to strong direct light source.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I agreed with the seller that we will get the stone certified. I am only buying it if it is a pyrope-spessartine. Other than that, I welcome this interesting phenomenon of this stone!!! May have something to do with the rutile inclusion this stone has. These fine "silk" like inclusions are slightly visible to naked eyes when this stone is exposed to strong direct light source.

...you would reject this beautiful stone if it's not the right mix of garnet species? I myself wouldn't care so much about that but each to their own...

Do let us know if decide to return it.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
...you would reject this beautiful stone if it's not the right mix of garnet species? I myself wouldn't care so much about that but each to their own...

Do let us know if decide to return it.

I was on the hunt for a garnet because it is my birthstone, and I landed on the uniqueness and the colors of a malaia. However, if this turns out to be something like a sapphire, I will take it for its price. haha. Based on the color shifting, rutile inclusion, and color, I think the chance that it is a pyrope-spessartine is very high.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of price range was it - similar to say a rubellite, or closer to pink tourmalines maybe? That peachy tone is truly sublime :kiss2:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results