shape
carat
color
clarity

Photography of diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fireopal

Rough_Rock
Hi...
How can we photograph diamonds to show the best fire and scintillation?
any tips to share please?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Scintillation is really only shown in a video as it relates to bright flashes which co0me and go as the diamond is tilted and rotated. Fire can be captured with a color sensor in a still image. It is a highly lighting dependent characteristic. You will have to experiment with various lighting methods first and then find the F stop/exposure time settings which work best with your camera. A tripod or photostand is very helpful. Taking an auto-exposure won''t be too successful. Pinpoint lighting from LED or incandescent sources enhances fire.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
You can also cheat by getting a star filter, they come in 4 point, 6 point and 8 point patterns and screw on the camera lens, come in a variety of sizes for most cameras. I attached a picture, it shows what a 6 point looks like.

If you ever watch QVC or HSN selling jewelry and you see these very long lines shooting from all the sparkles you can bet they're using star filters on their cameras.

Personally I think it looks a little cheesy, I had one 4-5 years ago on one of my older cameras when I was playing around taking photos of jewelry. It can look nice if you pick up one big flash on say a solitaire ring, but if you have a hundred little flashes from pave, etc it looks too obvious and silly.

Like David says, the best way to show scintillation in jewelry photos is to use hard lighting (point sources of light, NOT large diffuse sources like fluorescent).. things like LED, halogen, etc usually work best.

TF77S4.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

For fire you need a point light source, which usually means the diamond will appear dark :(

the best overall effect is under a big high leafy tree on a bright but cloudy day - it makes thousands of small pin points of light.

To take deal-scope pics use this link
http://www.ideal-scope.com/newsletters_issue008.asp

9.02FSI112small.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great photo example of that filter Yosef.

I'd add that if you don't have a big leafy tree, or the wind is blowing too much
2.gif
a combination of diffused light and direct pin-point sources can work. Experiment with the amount of diffusion. You can use an official photography box/coccoon, or it can be done with photo umbrellas, art paper, plastic (test the plastic though, as some white plastic transmits red). When shooting always adjust the camera for white balance. Adjust the f-stop for preferred depth of field (get it sharp). Be aware that greater f-stops may put inclusions on one “plane.”

Your background is an important consideration. A flat panel made of ground or etched glass makes a nice stage. You can put some kind of fabric beneath it; even plexiglass and parachute cloth works. You may like the look of a dark background for diamonds. Alternatly, dark gemstones look best on a light background. If you like another background type tiles, metals, patterned surfaces, etc., can be nice. Go to an art supply store - or a junkyard.

Anyone who plays around with photography will probably agree that it's all about experimentation and finding the "sweet spots" for your gear and setup - and for what you like best.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
set it on the bottom of a cd.. shine a 5+ led flashlight on it.
Take a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results