shape
carat
color
clarity

Photographic death match: F versus K

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Understandably, a lot of people come to Pricescope with questions about diamond color. Will a lower colored stone look *yellow*? Will it look bad compared to a higher colored stone? Will I like the look of a lower colored stone?

These are important questions because color has such a large impact on price. Often, posters are in a postion of buying a smaller colorless stone, or a larger near colorless stone... or a much larger "slightly tinted" stone!

I have the good fortune of owning two diamonds with very different colors. One is a colorless grade .63ct F color, which is set into a pendant. The other is a slightly tinted 1.17ct K color, which I wear as my e-ring.

To help curious PSers, I thought that I would do a photo shoot of the two diamonds next to one another in different lighting conditions to see if I could capture the color difference under normal viewing conditions.

The results of my experiment follow. These are not glamour shots, they are intended to show color. To my eye, these pictures very accurately capture what I saw in real life in each of the lighting conditions.

Note that both diamonds are ideal cuts, however the K diamond is better cut, being an ACA.

Enjoy!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
First comparison: Face up by a window on an overcast day. This would probably qualify as diffuse lighting.

bywindow1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Again in diffuse lighting by a window.

bywindow2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another by the window...

bywindow3.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last face-up shot by a window.

bywindow4.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a shot by the window again of the diamonds side-on laying on a white piece of paper. This is the most critical way to view a diamond and shows the color difference most clearly.

sideviewbywindowDD1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another side shot.

sideviewbywindowDD2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a face-up shot by a window with light from behind. I think this picture most accurately shows what a K color stone really looks like in normal viewing conditions... not yellow, not brown, but a soft muted white. Antique looking.

windowbehind1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a comparison in incandescent lighing. The room is beige. This is a very critical environment in which to view diamonds, this is the most tint you will ever see in a low colored stone!

incandescentlighing1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another incandescent shot...

incandescentlighing2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one in incandescent light.

incandescentlighing3.jpg

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Nice work, DD. And yummy diamonds you got there!
I own a K myself and it shows a tiny hint of tint face up only under diffused light. But the difference in 'whiteness' wd be much more noticeable in a side profile of the pavillion as DD has shown in the sideshot. But face up, IMO a well cut stone is always attractive regardless or its color.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
These shots are in a lavender room by a very large window and with an overhead incandescent light. Mixed lighting conditions. This shot is very accurate to what you see in real life when you just live with your diamond!

indirectnaturalandincandescent1.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 1:01:37 PM
Author: DiamondFlame
Nice work, DD. I own a K myself and it shows a tiny hint of tint face up only under diffused light. But the difference in 'whiteness' wd be much more noticeable in a side profile of the pavillion as DD has shown in the last pic. But face up, IMO a well cut stone is always attractive regardless or its color.
Ditto.. I too am a proud K ACA owner
9.gif
Nice work DD

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mixed conditions again.

indirectnaturalandincandescent2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This last set is outside on an overcast day.

oursideovercast1.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Outside again...

oursideovercast2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another outside...

oursideovercast3.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And a more distant shot.

oursideovercast4.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice. Definitely a useful thread post and should but added there. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Conclusions

The F color diamond seems to maintain an icy appearance accross the lighting conditions, wheras the K color diamond varies more in appearance depending on the lighting. In some environments the color difference is more noticable than in others. These diamonds are separated by five color grades, which is a lot, and yet I think that under many normal viewing conditions, the difference is fairly negligible. The price difference is not negligibale however: The F costs about $1200 more at the .60ct weight, and about $4000 more at the 1.20ct weight.

I personally find the color of the K appealing in almost all viewing conditions, and I also adore the crisp white of the F. Hopefully these photos will help some people in their own buying decision!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love the way the K looks moreso than the other stone, but i have determined that i PREFER slightly warmer stones (I, J, K). having had E, G, H stones, i don''t like how the white looks against my skin tone which is a warm olive. there are also ''shades within a shade'' so you might have a more warmly graded K against a ''whiter'' one. my pendant K is more white than my friend''s K ering.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 1:08:38 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Thanks for adding is Stonecold! I notice that the link you created in that thread doesn''t work for some reason though... perhaps you can edit the link to make it work?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 1:01:37 PM
Author: DiamondFlame
Nice work, DD. And yummy diamonds you got there!
I own a K myself and it shows a tiny hint of tint face up only under diffused light. But the difference in ''whiteness'' wd be much more noticeable in a side profile of the pavillion as DD has shown in the sideshot. But face up, IMO a well cut stone is always attractive regardless or its color.
I certainly aggree with this! Still, it isn''t the common perceptions at all. The tone of disdain that many jewelers use when referring to the lower colors is almost comical it is so severe!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great thread! I am another lover of low colors, not just in antique cuts, but in general. To my eye, they are more interesting, have more depth and personality, and the fact that they change their appearance based on lighting (from white to ivory to even light yellow tint if the color is low enough) allows me to feel like I own several diamonds in one :)

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer, thank you so much for the time you took to complete this project. I am on the hunt for a diamond right now and always thought I wanted a lighter stone, but now am not so sure. Your jewels are amazing. Great photos!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
This is really great, DD. Just what I''ve always wanted to see. Very helpful -- thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 1:20:30 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Date: 5/27/2009 1:08:38 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Thanks for adding is Stonecold! I notice that the link you created in that thread doesn''t work for some reason though... perhaps you can edit the link to make it work?

Too late to edit it...
7.gif
. Notified Admin to delete or modify to post. Mental note to self to check link after post... Sorry.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
EXCELLENT DD! This has been so helpful! I am currently in the process of determining my preferences for a diamond, and color was truly stumping me. I was debating in the H-I-J range, and was admittedly a bit nervous about J, but after seeing your K, I am very reassured. I *think* that I like diamonds with warmer color, but have not seen enough in person to truly know the real difference between a F and a K, for example, as you have shown today. As you said, the difference was negligible for the most part, or at least that''s what I saw. Thanks again! Well done!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting! Thanks for doing that DD! I can definitely see the difference, but not nearly as much as one might think. Very kewl.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results