carat
color
clarity

Photo: Very Strong Blue Fluorescence

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Over 4cts and colorless.

Get a little UV in her and she develops a distinct personality!

03-dsc_0349-900.jpg

03-dsc_0349-640.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Yes please, Santa!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! Is it Infinity? I guess maybe you can't post if it is which is rather dreadful because we'd really like to see a regular shot of it!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1355430316|3330507 said:
Wow!!! Is it Infinity? I guess maybe you can't post if it is which is rather dreadful because we'd really like to see a regular shot of it!
No, it's not an Infinity. This was a recut-candidate which we declined. I received the owner's permission to post those images.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness! That is just lovely! Does it glow a bit in normal sunshine? Can you take a picture outside please?
It is a (long term) goal of mine to own a large diamond with such strong blue fluor that it glows outside in sunshine. :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gah I'm in love! Im such a nerd for flour!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JaneSmith|1355431085|3330521 said:
Oh my goodness! That is just lovely! Does it glow a bit in normal sunshine? Can you take a picture outside please? It is a (long term) goal of mine to own a large diamond with such strong blue fluor that it glows outside in sunshine. :love:
Pedestrian traffic is too heavy for glamour pics at street level. To get an outside shot we must hang Paul out the 8th floor office window holding the diamond and a camera. He's skinny and I am strong like bull, so it might work. But alas we already returned the diamond to the owner...

I can tell you that it has a warm blue, almost purple, glow that's quite visible in normal daylight. The glow disappears under lighting with no UV component.

The owner is quite keen to sell it, and located in the USA. The diamond should be back in their hands tomorrow.

hoover

Shiny_Rock
OMG :love: that looks amazing!

I'd love to have a diamond that looks blue without the blue diamond premium.

Dear Santa indeed!

ETA: what made it a poor recut candidate?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it.

D

Deactivated member 42515

You're so beautiful. Sitting there, glowing that beautiful blue color. Come sit in my lap, let me play with you.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
John Pollard|1355432303|3330538 said:
JaneSmith|1355431085|3330521 said:
Oh my goodness! That is just lovely! Does it glow a bit in normal sunshine? Can you take a picture outside please? It is a (long term) goal of mine to own a large diamond with such strong blue fluor that it glows outside in sunshine. :love:
Pedestrian traffic is too heavy for glamour pics at street level. To get an outside shot we must hang Paul out the 8th floor office window holding the diamond and a camera. He's skinny and I am strong like bull, so it might work. But alas we already returned the diamond to the owner...

I can tell you that it has a warm blue, almost purple, glow that's quite visible in normal daylight. The glow disappears under lighting with no UV component.

The owner is quite keen to sell it, and located in the USA. The diamond should be back in their hands tomorrow.

John you have me rolling over here. John... STRONG LIKE BULL. :rodent:

The thought of you holding Paul out of the window of the 8th floor.... HAHA

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hoover|1355433269|3330549 said:
Now now... I only said we declined it - I don't want to hurt its feelings by calling it poor.

The reason: "Very Strong Blue" isn't a precise term. It indicates that the diamond meets/exceeds a lab's minimum threshold for "Very Strong" photoluminescence but no measurement of how far above that threshold is provided. Hypothetically, if we think of the VS range starting at 75 on a scale of 0-100, some VS diamonds will be closer to 75 and others closer to 100. On such a scale I'd place the dreaded and feared milky "overblues" in the top couple of tics near 100. They're extremely rare. To give context here, I would place this diamond somewhere in the 90s. It's breathtaking to look at, with no oily, clouding or milky effects, but the blue-purple glow will be quite distinct in sunlight to any observer. While this may match the dreams of some consumers (you know who you are) such pronounced VSB strongly devalues the diamond in global trade markets. At this size it becomes a serious professional disadvantage, even as it might be an advantage for a retailer with a suitable consumer buyer.

This may be a good time to reiterate that buying Strong Blue and Very Strong Blue Fluorescent diamonds is much like buying SI1 and SI2 clarities. Those brief terms cover a massive range while giving limited information. As with clarity and cut-quality, you should always see the diamond yourself, or work with someone you trust to deliver a gem with no compromise in optics/over-saturation at high fluorescence levels...if those things are your goals.

In this spirit, we have crafted many SB and VSB fluorescent diamonds into our brand. In all cases those candidates were run through our own battery of tests for optical purity and actual strength of photoluminescence. If the diamonds are too high on the VS scale, or show any hint of optical impurity, there are declined for the brand.

But that's the company policy... With all of this consumer-advisory-sensible stuff out of the way, I must say that this huge, wickedly cool looking girl would be a fluorescence-collector's dream.

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Great picture Mr. P. Thanks for sharing it. I sure miss your humor and your strong as a bull self!!! =)

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rhino|1355434269|3330559 said:
The thought of you holding Paul out of the window of the 8th floor.... HAHA
He used to cycle you know. By locking his knees his lower body could become a suitable lever for different photographic angles and altitudes.

STRONG LIKE BULL. :rodent:
...Tonight I am sitting bull.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Vera W|1355438031|3330589 said:
Great picture Mr. P. Thanks for sharing it. I sure miss your humor and your strong as a bull self!!! =)
Thanks Vera. That diamond glows almost as much as you do :)) Miss you too...nice to see you here!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... To get an outside shot we must hang Paul out the 8th floor office window holding the diamond and a camera. He's skinny and I am strong like bull ...

Ohhhh My!~ Kinky scene... and you didn't invite me? ;( :D

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
YayTacori|1355434174|3330558 said:
You're so beautiful. Sitting there, glowing that beautiful blue color. Come sit in my lap, let me play with you.
Back in line dearie, I saw her first.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
YayTacori|1355434174|3330558 said:

are you talking to the diamond??? :lol: jk! It is GORGEOUS!!! I don't really like seeing people say negative things about fluorescence or make a huge deal about it!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
John, how was that diamond's "wonk" factor?
I may need to track it down!!!

Talk about an honor- to be featured in Kenny's signature. Wow. I've made it.

Seriously- great pint about VSB.
In another thread I just made a post pointing out that the grades for fluorescence are (IMO) trickier than color grades.
My experience is that some stones graded Medium Blue by GIA are very close ( or maybe stronger fl) than other stones graded Strong Blue
Let's face it, fluorescence is kind of ..wonky.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1355439194|3330606 said:
... To get an outside shot we must hang Paul out the 8th floor office window holding the diamond and a camera. He's skinny and I am strong like bull ...

Ohhhh My!~ Kinky scene... and you didn't invite me? ;( :D

Hahhaa, kenny and yaytacori, both of you getting flirty up in here!

I really love that diamond's fluo, it looks awesome in that photo! Thanks for sharing!!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Y'all are so funny! :mrgreen: Wonk is like mail-order bride: Should be seen first. Buying wonk long-distance is risky business. LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol: :lol: Funniest thread in awhile!!! :appl:

(I started laughing at John's post, but Kenny's signature really had me laughing outloud!)

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1355447020|3330697 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Funniest thread in awhile!!! :appl:

(I started laughing at John's post, but Kenny's signature really had me laughing outloud!)

HAHA! Kenny - that is funny!

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeoussssss :love: :lickout:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
:lickout:

Thanks for sharing, John - that fluoro is delicious. :love:

echomomm

Rough_Rock
Mmm. I adore fluoro and I was rather saddened to learn that my own stone shows no sign of its SBF in natural sunlight. This one is a beauty and will be someone's dream stone!

out of curiosity, are there different intensity levels of very strong fluorescence just like how there are different performance for stones with GIA excellent cut.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamonds-are-friends|1355667568|3332635 said:
out of curiosity, are there different intensity levels of very strong fluorescence just like how there are different performance for stones with GIA excellent cut.
Yes. You might be interested in the post above, from 13 Dec 2012 17:24.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
John Pollard|1355437490|3330586 said:
hoover|1355433269|3330549 said:
It's breathtaking to look at, with no oily, clouding or milky effects, but the blue-purple glow will be quite distinct in sunlight to any observer. While this may match the dreams of some consumers (you know who you are)...

:love:
I sure do. Someday I will own a strong or very strong blue diamond of reasonable size (right now the best I could do was a 0.5ct with medium blue).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results