shape
carat
color
clarity

Photo of Asscher and Sq Emerald cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

staticfree

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have a side by side picture showing an Asscher cut and a Square Emerald cut diamond?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 11:38:00 AM
Author:staticfree
Does anyone have a side by side picture showing an Asscher cut and a Square Emerald cut diamond?
Sometimes the term Asscher is used interchangeably to describe a square emerald cut, Storm might have some images for you when he logs in later.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:41:23 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/1/2009 11:38:00 AM
Author:staticfree
Sometimes the term Asscher is used interchangeably to describe a square emerald cut, Storm might have some images for you when he logs in later.
Agreed, but there can be a different "look". This is what I found without looking forever.

The first is what we'd call an Asscher, and the second is more of an Emerald cut, imo. (feel free to correct me strm)
DI40X_GIA14345008.jpg

sqem01.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good examples!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The second photo in the tweezers is an emerald cut because it is not square. A square emerald cut (I have one) should be close enough to square so that the culet is a dot not a line. The only real asschers are Royal Asschers cut buy the Royal Asscher Diamond Company.

But many people refer to the square emerald cuts as "asschers". It's incorrect but has become a common term. My GIA report calls it "Square Emerald Cut". The difference between the 2 is in the number of facets. The Royal Asscher has 74 facets whereas the generic asschers have about 58 (cut with 3, 4 or 5 steps).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 2:45:33 PM
Author: swingirl
The second photo in the tweezers is an emerald cut because it is not square. A square emerald cut (I have one) should be close enough to square so that the culet is a dot not a line. The only real asschers are Royal Asschers cut buy the Royal Asscher Diamond Company.

But many people refer to the square emerald cuts as ''asschers''. It''s incorrect but has become a common term. My GIA report calls it ''Square Emerald Cut''. The difference between the 2 is in the number of facets. The Royal Asscher has 74 facets whereas the generic asschers have about 58 (cut with 3, 4 or 5 steps).
True, like I said, I was looking fast.
9.gif
But it was close.

I have seen truly square emeralds, that don''t come together in the center. A poster posted one in a video from GOG, but danged if I can find it now. Here''s a pic of Widget''s. And strms description of it.

000_2450.JPG

"its not out of wack its literaly a emerald cut thats cut square its very common in the older ones.
the difference is that an asscher has egual angled facets on all 4 pavilian sides and a pointy culet where an emerald cut has different angled facets on the side giving a keel culet.
In this case its small enought you dont notice it without magnification"

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The term asscher itself has become generic to describe diamonds cut similar to the pattern of the original Asscher cut.
Square emerald is the GIA generic term for an asschers among other terms.
Basically because the trademark term Asscher has not been enforced it has been lost to the Asscher Company.
Royal Asscher on the other hand is an enforceable trademark of the Asscher company.

I like the term squarish emeralds to describe emerald cuts that are cut square,
The difference is a keel vs a pointed or roundish culet.

staticfree

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the photos.

Ya, I was wondering about the interchangability of the terms Asscher cut and Square Emerald. I read quite a lot about what was said on this forum about it being the same thing, but then i spoke to a jeweller and she said that they are not the same thing. Asscher cut Diamonds are cut to specific diamensions (table, depth, crown height, etc) than Square Emerald.

So even if a Square Emerald has L/W raio=1, pointed cutlet, it may not be an Asscher because it does not meet the table, depth, crown height, etc specifications...

True?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 9:18:41 PM
Author: staticfree
Thanks for the photos.

Ya, I was wondering about the interchangability of the terms Asscher cut and Square Emerald. I read quite a lot about what was said on this forum about it being the same thing, but then i spoke to a jeweller and she said that they are not the same thing. Asscher cut Diamonds are cut to specific diamensions (table, depth, crown height, etc) than Square Emerald.

So even if a Square Emerald has L/W raio=1, pointed cutlet, it may not be an Asscher because it does not meet the table, depth, crown height, etc specifications...

True?
false....like I said in today''s market it is just another term for the other one.

The Royal Asscher is a little different story but there are generics of it out there also.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results