shape
carat
color
clarity

phone screen for a job?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 9:39:51 PM
Author: Miscka
well its tomorrow....I am so nervous! I got a REALLY cute suit at the limited...3/4 sleeves and a tie instead of buttons, which means it fits better (I have a hard time with jackets). Its dark grey pinstripe and I have a nice deep pink shell ($5 at the loft!) underneath, and my black satin flats. I think it looks nice and professional but still young and not too stuffy.

I cant say how much the good wishes mean! Thanks everyone!!!

How did your job interview go??

OMG, I love suits from the limited...I have bought several, due to the fact that they are not your typical "stuffy" suit. The color is perfect, as it gets you away from black, which can be harsh. I also loved that you paired it with a pink shell (good deal, btw). I bet you felt comfortable in the ensable, as it sounds like it suits you (yes, pun intended)
31.gif

I must say for others following this post, there are conservative professions where the "stuffy" suit is a requirement, however.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hope everything went well! Here''s some post interview dust!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to hear how it went!!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Wellllllllll, I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, the job is beyond perfect for me. Like, my ultimate job kind of thing. Which for some reason makes me really grumpy (post interview) because it is going to suck more if I don''t get it than it would have before I realized what an opportunity it would be. So I sulked a little last night. LOL, I know, I am weird.

I think it went pretty well, but who the heck ever knows with that kind of thing. At the end of the interview he asked me to send him a writing sample, which I sent last night in a thank you email. I will probably do a written letter as well, but he is out of town all week and will decide before he gets back so I wanted to get something out there. My BF thinks its a really good sign that he wanted my writing at the end, like if he werent interested he wouldn''t have asked. He also asked me at the end if I was still interested, I said definitely. I just didn''t do as well on the "tell me about a time when you...." questions as I would have liked.

OK so writting this has made my stomach churn, haha, but thanks everyone!!!!

Omie, I am in love with my suit! Even if this doesn''t work out I will still love it. And yes, my previous interview experience was in a more conservative place so I had a traditional black suit. Boring!!!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:01:31 AM
Wellllllllll, I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, the job is beyond perfect for me. Like, my ultimate job kind of thing. Which for some reason makes me really grumpy (post interview) because it is going to suck more if I don't get it than it would have before I realized what an opportunity it would be. So I sulked a little last night. LOL, I know, I am weird.

I think it went pretty well, but who the heck ever knows with that kind of thing. At the end of the interview he asked me to send him a writing sample, which I sent last night in a thank you email. I will probably do a written letter as well, but he is out of town all week and will decide before he gets back so I wanted to get something out there. My BF thinks its a really good sign that he wanted my writing at the end, like if he werent interested he wouldn't have asked. He also asked me at the end if I was still interested, I said definitely. I just didn't do as well on the 'tell me about a time when you....' questions as I would have liked.

OK so writting this has made my stomach churn, haha, but thanks everyone!!!!

Omie, I am in love with my suit! Even if this doesn't work out I will still love it. And yes, my previous interview experience was in a more conservative place so I had a traditional black suit. Boring!!!
I think it is a good sign that you were asked whether you were still interested, in fact stronger than requesting the writing sample. The writing sample could be a standardized practice, so I am not sure about that one. However, it all depends on the company, in terms of its hiring practices.

It sounds like questions that were difficult for you were behaviorally based interview questions. These questions can be tricky, however, if they are tied to the job and you have had past experience with what the question(s) are based on, these questions should not be difficult to answer. Often times, these are selected from a generic list and really are not tied to anything, which can make it difficult on the candidate, which I think is a waste of time. When done correctly, a behavior based interview should not be painful for anyone, as long as the candidate was properly pre-screened before the interview.

If you do not get the job, I know that will be a bummer, but at least you got some interview experience and a great suit out of it!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think its a great sign that he asked for a writing sample - definitely indicates he is still interested!

I''ve got my fingers crossed big time and still sending lots of dust that the offer comes through
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like he''s still interested in having you as a potential candidate. If you want to be proactive, give him a call when he comes back to refresh his memory about you. Tell him you''re interested in meeting him to talk about the job in detail, tell him when you are available, etc. This move will show him that you take the initiative and will give you a leg''s up over the other candidates.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
He said I would know within the week. I will keep you all updated! I think there were positive and negative indicators, but I really don''t think this guy does much hiring. His company definitely does, but it isn''t usually his responsibility and this is a newly created position without much protocol. So I feel like I cannot rely as much on the stuff I would normally glean from a seasoned HR person.

Thanks again for the support!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sending you lots and lots of PS dust!!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:25:53 AM

He said I would know within the week. I will keep you all updated! I think there were positive and negative indicators, but I really don''t think this guy does much hiring. His company definitely does, but it isn''t usually his responsibility and this is a newly created position without much protocol. So I feel like I cannot rely as much on the stuff I would normally glean from a seasoned HR person.

Thanks again for the support!!!!
Did I forget to advise you to send a thank-you email? If I did, sorry. Should you decide to do that, make sure you reinforce your fit & interest in the job. You can also add a line or two in it that highlights a skill that you might have forgotten to mention during the interivew, which is related to the job.

Being that the role is new, make sure you ask tons of questions. I say this because newly created roles can take on a very different form.

In any event, it sounds like he is interested...do not panic if you do not hear back right away.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
omieluv, are you in HR? That may be a stupid question...but my cousin is really good at this stuff too, she does my resume and helps me prepare things, but she is not in HR. You have been so helpful! I really appreciate it.

I did send the email. I reiterated my interest in the job, named a few of my skills I think make me a good fit and told him what I had learned about the position that particularly interested me. And I attached my writing samples.

Do you think I should still send a handwritten note? Not sure what else I would say and by the time he gets it he would have made up his mind, since I know he went out of town this morning and won''t be back for awhile.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure what''s the "procedure" but I only send a formal typed thank you letter after the interview, not a telephone screening interview.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chrono! I actually have had both at this point
1.gif
but I should have sent something after the phone interview. Drat. Next time!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 1:17:40 PM
omieluv, are you in HR? That may be a stupid question...but my cousin is really good at this stuff too, she does my resume and helps me prepare things, but she is not in HR. You have been so helpful! I really appreciate it.

I did send the email. I reiterated my interest in the job, named a few of my skills I think make me a good fit and told him what I had learned about the position that particularly interested me. And I attached my writing samples.

Do you think I should still send a handwritten note? Not sure what else I would say and by the time he gets it he would have made up his mind, since I know he went out of town this morning and won't be back for awhile.
I do work in HR! :)

A written note is always a nice touch, but I think you will be fine with what you did. Of course, with so much competition out there for jobs, it never hurts. Maybe send one if you do not get the job...sounds odd, huh? I think that would be interesting as it would show that you were a good sport about the process and perhaps if a similar role opens up, you might be the one he would call. At the very least, it would be a good opportunity for you in terms of networking. This guy could have other connections and if your industry is small, people talk...leave a good last impression...

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Omie, what is your opinion on timelines? As in, if he says within a (or was it the??) week...does it always mean that? Would I hear sooner if I got it? Later if I didn''t? Does this question make ANY sense?
3.gif
26.gif

I am probably over-analyzing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results