shape
carat
color
clarity

phone screen for a job?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone! I applied for a new job that just sort of fell into my lap through a friend. It sounds like it could be a REALLY good fit/situation for me.

I sent my resume and cover letter, and then got an email back saying he (the guy that would be my boss) wants to do a quick 10-15 minute "phone screen" with me tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice? Any ideas on the kinds of things that would be asked? I am nervous! Luckily, I have a TON of phone experience (which is part of what the job would be) and feel pretty comfortable with that.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Answer the phone with "Smith residence" or something along those lines. Then he can immediately see that you''re professional and it relieves him of any awkward moments wondering if he got the wrong number. (a plus for you). Usually phone screenings are done to whittle out the inept, unintelligent, made-up-the-resume people. Answer his questions with a smile on your face, you can hear a smile in your voice (makes him think you''re really kind). Avoid "um''s, er''s," etc. Also, keep notes while you''re talking of questions that come to mind or anything else pertinent. Have a copy of your resume, cover letter, and any helpful tips you may want to refer to during your conversation.

Good luck!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yup, be pleasant, personable and knowledgeable. It''s basically to weed out the crazies. Good luck!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 6:22:42 PM
Author: mercoledi
Yup, be pleasant, personable and knowledgeable. It''s basically to weed out the crazies. Good luck!
Ditto! Try not to be nervous. They usually don''t ask any hard questions over the phone, mostly just questions about your resume, current position, when you''re available, salary requirement, etc.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! Salary requirements already? That is tricky here. I would be required to use some personal resources (work from home), etc. And I am not DYING to make a move, but would for the right $$$. Any way to not give hard numbers yet? He works in a higher $$ area of the country, also. Arghhh.

OK so so far I have learned:
have resume and cover letter on hand
smile (already figured that one
1.gif
)
figure out a way to answer the phone (I am young and single...can I say Miscka Lastname?)
take notes
avoid ums

I think I will be ok! Unless I am a "crazy" and didn''t realize it! LOL!

Thanks so much for the advice so far!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
You can try saying something like, "I''m confident that the salary you''re offering is fair" but sometimes they push hard for a number.

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
i will have to say don''t reference salary yet. save that for the second interview.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
**please excuse threadjack****

jcarly~ What is that thing called in your avatar? I used to have something that looked like that and sucked it''s thumb or a banana. I''d love to find one but I don''t remember what it''s called.

**we now return you to your scheduled program**

Miscka~ I would have some line ready in case he brings up salary, but that''s generally saved for a face to face interview. If he asks YOU for a number, you may say something like "I''m looking into comparable position salaries in the area."

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
The quick phone screen comparable to an artist sketching the person he/she will eventually be painting a portrait of.

Generally, the purpose of the 15-20 min phone screen is for the recruiter to ask you basic questions about why you applied and gain a bit more knowledge about your work history to better understand skills in relation to the position. The recruiter is also listening for your level of professionalism while trying assess your level of interest in the role. If at the end of the conversation the recruiter feels that you potentially have the skills and level of interest s/he is after, you are more than likely going to be granted the interview. Usually the first question asked is "Tell me about yourself." This is usually the toughest question, as candidates rarely know where to start.

A question that might be asked could center around money. The recruiter just might ask you casually to find out whether the both of you are on the same page so to speak, which I think is fair because s/he does not want to waste anyone''s time. If the recruiter expects you to give a solid figure, be wary. All I would do is give a range and be honest about it. There is the possibility that the recruiter might ask you what you are making now, just try to side step it and give him the range you are looking for.

Just be yourself, no sense in pretending to be what you think he might want you to be, as you have no idea what they are looking for in the first place. Unless you are a good actress, pretending someone you are not will show through the interview. I would answer the telephone in a similar way you would answer your telephone if working in a professional atmosphere. If you know when he is going to call, I see nothing wrong with saying "Hello, this is XXXX."

Generally speaking recruiters can be very stern/short sounding or they sound like they are your best friend. If the recruiter is stern sounding, or has the "poker" face going, do not let that intimidate you. The recruiter might be trying to test your ability to answer questions in a stressful situation. If the recruiter is acting like your best friend, do not let your guard down because the recruiter is not your best friend! Just be careful as to what you say and play off the recruiter''s energy. Sometimes recruiters will use this tactic to put the candidate at ease, so that they are more likely to learn more about their skills. Often times, when candidates are nervous they are not as likely to talk about what is important. Then of course, there are recruiters who start out stern and then turn into your best friend as they start to feel like you could be a possibility.

Having your resume handy is good, but I would also have notes detailing what interests you about the job/industry and company handy. Also, have a statement handy describing why you see yourself as a good fit for the role.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''d try to have your resume and other relevant documents in front of you to refer to - I''ve found this really helpful in the past. Sometimes even taking some notes ahead of time can be helpful.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the help!

It was this morning, was pretty short. He pushed me on $$$ though
40.gif
I think I gave an OK answer but we will see! He said tonight or first thing tomorrow he will be setting up interviews, so cross your fingers for me!

I think it went well...I was probably not quite as calm and collected as I hoped, but in person I know I will do better, should I get the chance! I *think* I will, but who knows.

I HATE applying for jobs! Mostly because I get used to the idea and then get sad if it doesn''t work out
39.gif

BUT I have a lot going on in my life right now, and I really feel like if this is the direction I am meant to take it will happen, and if it doesn''t I was meant to go another way!!

Thanks again everyone!!!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I actually answer my phone "This is MY NAME" because I just got used to answering the workphone that way. Now people call me, and they don''t have to be like, is MY NAME there? because they already know they are talking to me for 1..

and ditto Miscka

"OK so so far I have learned:
have resume and cover letter on hand
smile (already figured that one )
figure out a way to answer the phone (I am young and single...can I say Miscka Lastname?)
take notes
avoid ums "

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to say...I answered "Hello, this is Miscka Lastname"
1.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 11:42:25 AM
Author: Miscka

40.gif
I think I gave an OK answer but we will see! He said tonight or first thing tomorrow he will be setting up interviews, so cross your fingers for me!

Just out of curiosity, how did you handle that? I am not asking you to give us a figure, but your response might inspire others who face this very common subject during phone screens.

Let us know what happens.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I said "I am sure you have a range in mind, but it would depend to me on how many of my personal resources would be required."
he said "well, um, ok, but assuming you dont have to use anything of yours, is there a number you wouldnt go below?"
me: well, I would be comfortable staying above xxx"

there you have it. Thoughts? The number was high for me but he didnt seem too concerned about it. Hope I didnt screw it up!

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 11:42:25 AM

40.gif

I think it went well...I was probably not quite as calm and collected as I hoped, but in person I know I will do better, should I get the chance! I *think* I will, but who knows.

I HATE applying for jobs! Mostly because I get used to the idea and then get sad if it doesn''t work out
39.gif

BUT I have a lot going on in my life right now, and I really feel like if this is the direction I am meant to take it will happen, and if it doesn''t I was meant to go another way!!

Thanks again everyone!!!
I am exactly the same with applying for jobs (in the process now). Somehow I always seem to get my hopes up, even when I *think* I don''t care.

I read this post last night and came back to see how it went. Glad to see it went pretty well. Something perfect will come along though, even if it''s not this time. Best of luck and keep us updated!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck! I hope that you called back for the interview.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 1:52:09 PM
I said ''I am sure you have a range in mind, but it would depend to me on how many of my personal resources would be required.''
he said ''well, um, ok, but assuming you dont have to use anything of yours, is there a number you wouldnt go below?''
me: well, I would be comfortable staying above xxx''

there you have it. Thoughts? The number was high for me but he didnt seem too concerned about it. Hope I didnt screw it up!
In an age where recruiters receive 100''s of resumes for a single job in a competitve market, they want to make sure they bring in qualified candidates that are in the ballpark of what the company can afford. When I bring the topic up, I try to do it in a casual manner and do not push for an exact dollar amount. So while I want to find out what the candidate''s salary expectations are, I do not want the candidate to feel as if I am looking for an exact dollar amount either. After all, salary negotiation comes toward the end of the hiring process, not during the screening call. Even if the candidate states a slightly higher range, I am not necessarily going to write off that candidate, especially if the candidate is heads and tails better than the rest. Sometimes managers can have a false idea of what the job is worth in the first place, so if they give a very low range to start with and I am hearing numbers from candidates that far exceed that range, it tells me that we need to examine the role and the salary range.

It is important to go into these discussions having an understanding of what your market value is, then one can state a competitve range when the question is posed. To do this, you really need to have an understanding of the role you will be discussing with the recruiter. Before stating a range, it is always good to ask more questions and not "assume" anything. When you stated that your range would depend on how many of your personal resources would be required, he gave you an assumption, which really was not a definite answer. When I ask about the range I ask it after I further explain the position and I am happy to answer questions, so that the candidate has a realistic picture of what they could be getting into. No sense in misleading candidates, as that can lead to complications down the road, even after they are hired.

Was your minimum within a competitive range for the position?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I had no way of knowing if my minimum was in a competitive range. I googled salary for the position, and it came up really high, esp for people of my age and experience level and area of the country.

If I lowballed myself, am I screwed?

Is there any way to tell from what he said if I will be likely to get an interview? Also, FWIW it wasnt a recruiter, it is a smaller company and he would be my direct boss. Not sure if that matters?

Omieluv you (and everyone) have been so helpful!

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I really appreciate it!

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 9:03:12 PM
Author: somethingshiny
**please excuse threadjack****

jcarly~ What is that thing called in your avatar? I used to have something that looked like that and sucked it''s thumb or a banana. I''d love to find one but I don''t remember what it''s called.

**we now return you to your scheduled program**

Miscka~ I would have some line ready in case he brings up salary, but that''s generally saved for a face to face interview. If he asks YOU for a number, you may say something like ''I''m looking into comparable position salaries in the area.''

mini thread jack - monchichi!! :)

Miscka - i am sure you did a great job! don''t stress to much about the salary question!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 3:32:28 PM
Well, I had no way of knowing if my minimum was in a competitive range. I googled salary for the position, and it came up really high, esp for people of my age and experience level and area of the country.

If I lowballed myself, am I screwed?

Is there any way to tell from what he said if I will be likely to get an interview? Also, FWIW it wasnt a recruiter, it is a smaller company and he would be my direct boss. Not sure if that matters?

Omieluv you (and everyone) have been so helpful!

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I really appreciate it!

Take a look at salary.com, that is a popular site.

It''s hard to say from his response whether he will grant an interview, in fact, what he said sounds a generic way to bring the discussion to a close. Though, he could mean what he says, who knows.

I would not say you are screwed, as negotating is going to be expected. While negotiating, first hear what they offer and if you are not happy throw a line in there stating "as I have learned more about the role, I feel that the market standard is higher for a position like this, what is your target range for the role set at?" Never give them the number you are aiming for if you can avoid it, if in a corner, give them a range you are looking for, but be mindful as how you set your upper and lower limits. Also, do not decide anything the day the offer is given, sleep on it and think of any follow-up questions you might have. It''s ok to play hardball with them, in a professional/respectful way. I am not sure what type of position you are applying for, but, if the role requires any sort of negotiation, then he is probably going to expect you to negotiate, which could also be viewed as a test.

Please also keep in mind that companies are being more frugal these days, so even if they do not offer the number you want, try to negotiate your benefits. For instance, extra vacation time. Do you intend to take their health insurance? If no, then that is also a barganing chip, as you can perhaps justify your salary range with the fact that you will not need to go onto their insurance.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Still no word
32.gif
32.gif
39.gif
39.gif

I swear if anyone else sends me an email between now and then I will scream! Each one makes my stomach jump.

At this point I am not feeling very hopeful. But he definitely said last night or first thing this morning, so why, even if rejection, has he not written??? Argh! You can tell this guy is not used to hiring stuff.

And, of course, this happens on a day when I am particularly frustrated with my job. OK, end sob story
20.gif

Thanks again for the help!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
AHHH! I got the interview!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

It''s Monday. I have a feeling he wants to get someone going ASAP. WOOOOOOOO.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 2:51:16 PM
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

YAY!!!! OMG THIS IS SOO EXCITING! **DUST**
36.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

WOOHOO!!! Congratulations - awesome news, good luck with the in-person interview!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Congrats!! So happy for you Miscka!!
36.gif

So, how are you going to prepare for your face-to-face interview? Did he give you any information regarding the number of people you will be meeting with and/or its format?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! You all are the best
9.gif

First order of business...find something to wear!
10.gif
I have an interview suit but it is too big for me right now.

I will just be meeting with him, and the interview will be in a VERY informal setting (trying not to say too much specifically here). Also it is a young company run by younger people, and deals with technology. My Mom said nothing TOO conservative, but still respectful. Thoughts? I am going tomorrow to look for something.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Dress professionally, obviously, however, not stuffy. Go a notch up from business casual, but under the "stuffy" suit. If you feel odd not wearing a suit, wear a shell that has a pop of color.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on getting the interview!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
well its tomorrow....I am so nervous! I got a REALLY cute suit at the limited...3/4 sleeves and a tie instead of buttons, which means it fits better (I have a hard time with jackets). Its dark grey pinstripe and I have a nice deep pink shell ($5 at the loft!) underneath, and my black satin flats. I think it looks nice and professional but still young and not too stuffy.

I cant say how much the good wishes mean! Thanks everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results