shape
carat
color
clarity

Phoenix's makeup, skincare, weight, health etc...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@t-c , Amin, regarding all you have just written !

My 'training for something' was for hiking, and yes, I got in low-weight trouble once: easily corrected, since my working out was casually self-imposed. I had NO idea this was possible & sure did get scared ... As you put it, 'working out for its own sake is weird to me'. I have only just started some again, for stress & it is rather comical how much less I can do ! (after two decades of mostly exercising my writing ... ).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@t-c ,

I mentioned somewhere on the thread about the method that my trainer used to measure body fat. I checked and it's supposed to be quite accurate. I do agree with you not to train towards something arbitrary. My overall aim is to be healthy. I go for bf bc it's something tangible and measurable. But I also look at the mirror and go with what I see. And of course how I feel, not just how I look. With Hashimotos, I have to be cognisant that I'm constrained somewhat; so for example a bf percentage of below 15% is most likely not advisable and anything under 17% is quite difficult to attain. So I reckon around 17-18% bf is something more realistic for me and even that is quite difficult to achieve already. I got to 20% bf from 27% and a 3kg (approx 8.6lb) weight loss after 1.5 years of training/. I am now around 45kg/ 100lbs and am just under 5'2" and tiny-framed. So I wouldn't call it rapid weight loss.

I do have my calcium level and bone density checked, along with iron and hormone etc.

My hair loss has not occurred with the weight loss. I did take that into consideration and have ruled it out. It is for sure the medication I'm taking for my Hashimotos.

I appreciate your post. It's very informative.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will add also that both of my sisters have under active thyroids & take thyroxin, but I do not. They have both lost lots of hair on occasion. I have my levels checked every year & I'm all good. My Dr suggested years ago that I took an iodine supplement as it promotes thyroid regulation, so I take sea kelp every day without fail. She has no idea if this is helping me, but my thyroid levels have remained steady ever since in the face of a genetic issue. I have also just ordered Biotin but am still waiting for it to arrive. I figured it can only help my hair.

@Alex T , did you have your antibodies checked? All my other indicators are within normal range, T3, T4, TSH. The only thing that's off is my antibodies level. It's around 400-600. If they hadn't measured that, I'd never have known.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@valeria101 , I also like this video; except that I think she should put some colour on her neck, as it is quite a different colour to her face, lol.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T , did you have your antibodies checked? All my other indicators are within normal range, T3, T4, TSH. The only thing that's off is my antibodies level. It's around 400-600. If they hadn't measured that, I'd never have known.

Yep! This last lot of bloods were hideously thorough, particularly for thyroid. Everything was normal. It is worth mentioning that I am prone to bouts of hair loss - I seem to be very sensitive to hormonal changes. When I had both girls I lost a third of my hair volume, and when I came off the Pill in 2013, that was a major hair loss of half, with visible scalp all over. I had a coil fitted earlier this year, but began shedding heavily a month in, so out it came. I will always battle it, and I am much more accepting of this now. I try my best to keep healthy & be kind to myself. Stress is bad!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix,

I love that you focus on health. So many people (females, in particular) try to achieve a certain physical appearance and ignore the damage they may be doing to their health.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep! This last lot of bloods were hideously thorough, particularly for thyroid. Everything was normal. It is worth mentioning that I am prone to bouts of hair loss - I seem to be very sensitive to hormonal changes. When I had both girls I lost a third of my hair volume, and when I came off the Pill in 2013, that was a major hair loss of half, with visible scalp all over. I had a coil fitted earlier this year, but began shedding heavily a month in, so out it came. I will always battle it, and I am much more accepting of this now. I try my best to keep healthy & be kind to myself. Stress is bad!

Glad to hear your thyroid is completely normal. Hashimotos is a complete PITA!

Yes, stress is the worst! I agree, being healthy and stress-free is super important. I hope your Vit D level stabilises too, which it should be. I was on a twice-a-day dosage for a month and mine was restored. And am now taking it once a day.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix,

I love that you focus on health. So many people (females, in particular) try to achieve a certain physical appearance and ignore the damage they may be doing to their health.

I hear you! Some ppl do crazy things, in the quest for perceived physical beauty. To me, being healthy and happy has always been my number 1 priority.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear your Vit D came back up to normal on a twice a day dose, as that's what I am on. And I do think having been told about how D interacts with hormones, that my hair loss must be related given my hormone sensitivity.

Don't you think it's ridiculous that us women spend most of our lives fighting off hair from our body, but can struggle to keep it on our heads?! Please let me know if you try Nioxin how you get on with it. You need to give it 6-8 weeks before you'll see any fuzzy re-growth at the roots, or at least that's what I have found in the past, so fingers crossed for you. When I had the major 50% loss, upon root growth about 3 months later, I had all my hair chopped off so that it could try & catch up a bit. It went from lower than shoulders to jaw length with very short layers. My hair is very curly, which is forgiving thankfully.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix Here are a couple of snaps of my hair. The first old fuzzy picture is how it was the year before my 50% loss, the second is of how short I had to go when the thick roots grew back. It was horribly distressing, but that short no maintenance do was very liberating! IMG_20171204_180932.jpg Photo0312.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix Here are a couple of snaps of my hair. The first old fuzzy picture is how it was the year before my 50% loss, the second is of how short I had to go when the thick roots grew back. It was horribly distressing, but that short no maintenance do was very liberating! IMG_20171204_180932.jpg Photo0312.jpg

Wowza!! You're gorgeous!! You look about 30, Alex. I love love the short hair.

Funny, i have messy wavy hair and have always wanted curly hair like yours.

ETA: you call this very short? lol. I once had my hair cut so short, it was like a man's crew cut!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved the short hair too, but my daughters both cried when they saw it and my husband, who adores my hair, said "Wow... erm..." and that was all. So nobody else liked it, but I bloody well rocked that dramatic change!!

I wish I WAS 30 - I'll be 44 in June! Thankfully have mothers genetics (and this was pre Juvaderm in my nose to mouth creases, which have now gone). But that's my limit - I'm not one for anything more than a facial & natural, organic stuff. But those lines, man. They depressed me :bigsmile:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear your Vit D came back up to normal on a twice a day dose, as that's what I am on. And I do think having been told about how D interacts with hormones, that my hair loss must be related given my hormone sensitivity.

Don't you think it's ridiculous that us women spend most of our lives fighting off hair from our body, but can struggle to keep it on our heads?! Please let me know if you try Nioxin how you get on with it. You need to give it 6-8 weeks before you'll see any fuzzy re-growth at the roots, or at least that's what I have found in the past, so fingers crossed for you. When I had the major 50% loss, upon root growth about 3 months later, I had all my hair chopped off so that it could try & catch up a bit. It went from lower than shoulders to jaw length with very short layers. My hair is very curly, which is forgiving thankfully.

I will certainly report back. I have never found any hair shampoo or serum that facilitates hair growth. Can't wait and am very excited to try this!:dance:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved the short hair too, but my daughters both cried when they saw it and my husband, who adores my hair, said "Wow... erm..." and that was all. So nobody else liked it, but I bloody well rocked that dramatic change!!

I wish I WAS 30 - I'll be 44 in June! Thankfully have mothers genetics (and this was pre Juvaderm in my nose to mouth creases, which have now gone). But that's my limit - I'm not one for anything more than a facial & natural, organic stuff. But those lines, man. They depressed me :bigsmile:

You certainly ROCKED that, gf!! I truly love it.

Funny, my husband loves me with short hair and all my gfs prefer me with short hair. But I have been wearing mine long last few years, bc of the hair loss/ Hashimotos - it's psychological for me I guess.

You do NOT look anywhere near 43 or 44!! And what lines?! lol

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nioxin works by blocking testosterone turning into something called DHT at the root of the hair. It's not a miracle cure & there has to be healthy hair follicles there, but by blocking the DHT it enables follicles to stay in the growing phase. So providing there are no health issues & the follicle isn't dead, like in a bald head, it can encourage growing. Fingers crossed for you!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You certainly ROCKED that, gf!! I truly love it.

Funny, my husband loves me with short hair and all my gfs prefer me with short hair. But I have been wearing mine long last few years, bc of the hair loss/ Hashimotos - it's psychological for me I guess.

You do NOT look anywhere near 43 or 44!! And what lines?! lol

I think when, fingers crossed, my roots recover again, I will go shorter. It's a perfect excuse. And it is my hair, after all! Trust me, there are deep crease lines on that second picture, nose to mouth. There were like a sad Pug puppy. It was all I ever saw on my face. Anyway, now they have gone & I continue to look after my skin & health, nobody ever believes my age. Result!!

I think you should wear your hair whichever way you want. Mine is longer at the mo (shoulders) because I can loosely pull it back into a messy bun & completely cover the top of my scalp where it's thinned out. Once it sprouts again, and I'm confident in the Nioxin results I've had in the past, I'll chop it. It is definitely a bit of a security blanket!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T LOVE the short hair! You look even younger. I just hacked off 8 inches and haven’t had hair this short for 13 years. It’s about an inch past my chin. I LOVE IT. I don’t do a thing. I don’t dry it or style it or even brush it. It is what it is. I’ve been dealing with hair loss and I’m less stressed with short hair. At least my purse and backpacks are not pulling it out.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @LLJsmom ! Sorry to hear you are also experiencing hair loss. Seems to be more common than I thought. I found myself checking out clip in top pieces a few weeks ago. What?!?!!! :lol-2:

Do you know what is causing you to lose? I hope it can be resolved for you & in the meantime, rock that shorter hair!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What thyroid blood test is the one not all doctors order? I know I heard mention of a "standard" test that can come back in the normal range but further checking can show an out of balance thyroid.

I had one done already (TSH?) tat came back right at the very top of the "normal" range. My doctor (after I insisted I do have something going on) ordered a T3 and T4. Is that what I should be checking for? Anything else I should ask to have ordered while they are already taking my blood?

ETA: TSH was 3.82 and they have .45 to 4.5 as "normal"

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What thyroid blood test is the one not all doctors order? I know I heard mention of a "standard" test that can come back in the normal range but further checking can show an out of balance thyroid.

I had one done already (TSH?) tat came back right at the very top of the "normal" range. My doctor (after I insisted I do have something going on) ordered a T3 and T4. Is that what I should be checking for? Anything else I should ask to have ordered while they are already taking my blood?

Sounds like the Dr is doing it right. Your thyroid should range between 0.5 & 5. Here in the U.K. if you come in at the low or top end of the 'normal' range, they will then start automatically investigating T3 & T4. My score last week was 2.95, so right in the middle of normal. Both my sisters, who have taken Throxin for years, both come in on the 'normal' scale, but around 4.8. They technically are both normal, but clearly they are not. They gain weight & lose hair at this end of the scale & both need medicating to be kept on the low side, around 1.0 in order to function healthily.

So it sounds like the correct wheels are in motion. And good luck!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't express how relieved I am to see so many struggling with hair loss. It makes me feel like I'm not alone. I've been losing my hair for over a year now. I'm 33 and I have less hair density now than my mother. ;( I wish I knew what was going on. I feel like the doctors I've seen couldn't care less. I've gotten no answers. Now, I'm crying...it was really hard to put that out there.

Phoenix, I'm glad you're starting to make progress with it.

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't express how relieved I am to see so many struggling with hair loss. It makes me feel like I'm not alone. I've been losing my hair for over a year now. I'm 33 and I have less hair density now than my mother. ;( I wish I knew what was going on. I feel like the doctors I've seen couldn't care less. I've gotten no answers. Now, I'm crying...it was really hard to put that out there.

You aren't alone! My aunt lost HANDFULS at a time. She had visible bald patches and you could see most of her scalp through what was left. Took some arguing with doctors to keep looking, but she finally got it under control when they found her thyroid issue.

I don't know what is going on with doctors lately, but I keep hearing about doctors not seeming to care about all sorts of things. (Mine included!)

Good luck!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You aren't alone! My aunt lost HANDFULS at a time. She had visible bald patches and you could see most of her scalp through what was left. Took some arguing with doctors to keep looking, but she finally got it under control when they found her thyroid issue.

I don't know what is going on with doctors lately, but I keep hearing about doctors not seeming to care about all sorts of things. (Mine included!)

Good luck!

Thank you for the reassurance. I definitely need it. I'm trying to do some research and make a list of tests that I think should be done. So far, my doctors are only running the bare minimum of tests (with the exception of the doctor that didn't run any tests at all). :eek-2:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the reassurance. I definitely need it. I'm trying to do some research and make a list of tests that I think should be done. So far, my doctors are only running the bare minimum of tests (with the exception of the doctor that didn't run any tests at all). :eek-2:

Same. I resorted to buying the Kardia so I can do a short EKG anytime I want so I can bring a pile of readings in rathe than relying on one 5 minute reading. I finally managed to get her to order some thyroid tests and additional heart monitoring. So frustrating to have a doctor blow you off! (Same one as in my post of the worst doctor experience thread)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think when, fingers crossed, my roots recover again, I will go shorter. It's a perfect excuse. And it is my hair, after all! Trust me, there are deep crease lines on that second picture, nose to mouth. There were like a sad Pug puppy. It was all I ever saw on my face. Anyway, now they have gone & I continue to look after my skin & health, nobody ever believes my age. Result!!

I think you should wear your hair whichever way you want. Mine is longer at the mo (shoulders) because I can loosely pull it back into a messy bun & completely cover the top of my scalp where it's thinned out. Once it sprouts again, and I'm confident in the Nioxin results I've had in the past, I'll chop it. It is definitely a bit of a security blanket!

@Alex T , where do you go for your Juvaderm pls? Do you live in London? I go back a few times a year and could have it done there. There's one in SG where I live but he's super expensive and am not convinced he does the best job. Also, is it Juvaderm Vobella? What about Restylane Silk? Have you tried that? And how long does yours last for?

My hair loss has only been since late August this year, and the loss has slowed down considerably. So hopefully, the follicles are not dead yet. I do see new hair growths with the Biotin. Fingers crossed all the hair lost will grow back. I had the same thing happen to me about 7 years ago (which prompted me to check for my thyroid, upon posting about it here and following someone's advice). Most of the hair I'd lost was restored, but I never got back the full head of hair I once had prior to my Hashimotos. I'm ok with what I had up to August this year. It was still quite thick and lustrous. I posted a couple of pics in this thread on page 4 - they were taken this year in May I think. I'll take that hair again, any time!!

I second being healthy!! Skin & hair benefit soooo much from a good diet & plenty of water & regular exercise. Nobody believes my age either! lol

I guess I will continue to wear it long. It's not the most flattering for my face, for some reason; not that long hair doesn't look good on me, mind you. I am loving my long hair now. I definitely do agree that a woman should wear her hair whichever way SHE wants. But of course compliments from other people are always nice and welcome.:))

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T LOVE the short hair! You look even younger. I just hacked off 8 inches and haven’t had hair this short for 13 years. It’s about an inch past my chin. I LOVE IT. I don’t do a thing. I don’t dry it or style it or even brush it. It is what it is. I’ve been dealing with hair loss and I’m less stressed with short hair. At least my purse and backpacks are not pulling it out.

8 inches?!! All at once?!!:shock:

Prior to my Hashimotos being diagnosed 7 yrs ago, I had waist-length hair and I watched it slowly leave my head - like in a slow motion movie - and falling to my white kitchen floor! It was heart breaking!!:(sad I knew I had to cut it short bc it was becoming straggly, but couldn't bring myself to chopping it off all at once. I had to do it in 3 phases but I went from waist length to a very short bob. So in total, about 12-15 inches, I'd say. I never actually had the heart to measure it.

Short hair can be very stylish & chic and very flatting for the face. I'd like to see a pic if you'd like to show.

Do you know the possible cause(s) for your hair loss? Any idea? Sorry you're having to deal with it too.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ETA: TSH was 3.82 and they have .45 to 4.5 as "normal"

Yes, I agree you should get your T3 and T4 checked too.

What about your antibodies? This was the ONLY indicator that something was "off" with me, leading me to take thyroxin to combat the hair loss, fatigue, weight gain etc.

These were mine in Oct this year. I've stayed about the same last 7 years. Once your antibodies level is elevated, it stays elevated.

upload_2017-12-5_15-31-15.png

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix I go to the Spire Hospital, here in Cheshire. It's a private hospital & there is a chain of them all over the UK. The Dr I use is a specialist in facial reconstruction surgery & he is just amazing. I have had my nose to mouth creases done every year for the last 4 years, with Juvaderm, but each time (funnily enough I was there this last Friday) he uses less & less & some goes into the bin. I'm not sure which type of Juvaderm he uses - I leave everything up to him. We were comparing the photos he took from my first visit to now, and the filler is holding up better each time. Honestly, for such a simple procedure it has transformed my appearance & I am more than happy to pay for it.

The other thing I like about this Dr, is that he's like a magician. Nobody would ever guess it has been done because it's so gentle & subtle in the end result. Even after the first time, when he had to use 2 syringes (now we're down to 3/4 of 1 syringe) nobody said "wow! You've had your face done!" The only comments were "wow! You look great! You're obviously getting more sleep than I am!" And that was the result I wanted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results