shape
carat
color
clarity

Phoenix, where do you buy your pearls in Shanghai?

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there...I know someone who''s visiting Shanghai (from the US) and wanted to check out the pearls there. Do you have any vendors to recommend?

Thanks in advance.
M

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DiaDiva, I''m not Phoenix but thought I would chime in here. I have bought an opera length fresh water pearls here:

Pearl City
2nd and 3rd floors, 558 Nanjing Dong Lu, Shanghai
Open 10am-10pm daily

Quality is good but I have to shift through hundreds of pearl strands before I found the one I wanted and of course one has to bargain hard! As to specific vendors, maybe Phoenix will weigh in here!

PS: How are you settling back in Singapore? All back to normal now?

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Megeve,
Thanks for sharing the details of the pearl shop.

I''m sort of settling in but you''re not going to believe this. We''re moving to New Delhi at the end of June. DH got notified of the posting 2 months after our return from VA and 3 days into my new job. So....we''re packing and moving again. It''s definitely going to be an interesting three years there.
9.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Pearl city is not a shop but a building housing hundreds (if not thousands) of small shops and stands on 2 floors! Most are baroque/with rings qualities, so if your friend is picky like me searching for almost blemish free, round pearls, you have to shift through them.

Oh wow, you do lead an exciting life, a travelling housewife! Congrats to your DH and wish you a fulfilling and interesting next 3 years! One consolation if you managed to go to Jaipur, I have heard its THE place besides Colombo, Sri Lanka for buying gems.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry, DD. Didn't see this thread til now.

The pearl place I go to is Pearl City in Hong Mei Lu (I don't know the one Megeve suggested).

When is yr friend(s) leaving SH? If you contact me by email, I'd be happy to go there with them. There're only a couple of shops I trust and can take yr friend(s) there. Also, prices may be very inflated if you don't know what you're doing. You've got to be careful with the quality too. I'm planning to go back this coming week to look at the big SS's I've been after. Perhaps Tues or Wed afternoon?

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha...Megeve, I''ll be a "penniless" travelling housewife. I''ll have to live vicariously through all of you.

Hi Phoenix, I don''t actually know her in person. She''s somebody from another jewellery forum who asked me for help so I thought I''d check in with you. But I''ll let her know about Pearl City in Mei Hong Lu. So...when will you arrive in Singapore? I''m very likely leaving by end June. If I leave with DH (which I probably won''t, it''ll be 20 June - too early for me lah. I only stop work on 4th June, so lots of loose ends to tie up).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2010 10:23:02 AM
Author: DiaDiva

Hi Phoenix, I don't actually know her in person. She's somebody from another jewellery forum who asked me for help so I thought I'd check in with you. But I'll let her know about Pearl City in Mei Hong Lu. So...when will you arrive in Singapore? I'm very likely leaving by end June. If I leave with DH (which I probably won't, it'll be 20 June - too early for me lah. I only stop work on 4th June, so lots of loose ends to tie up).
She should go to Carrey's Pearl, and mention my name (I don't mind if you give her my real name by email). It's a husband and wife team. Carry speaks very good English and her pearls are better than most of the other pearls there (there are two, three other shops that carry high-end pearls but the people there don't really speak English). Carry's shop is unit #3721 and her HP is 137 6101 4568 and her email [email protected].

Your acquaintance may want to ask the concierge at her hotel to write down the name of the Pearl Centre and address in Chinese to show to her taxi driver. Taxi drivers here don't speak English at all and they don't know how to get to some place unless you give them the road intersection and even then you still have to direct them once you approach your building. Also, if she calls Carry when she's in the taxi, Carry will be able to tell the taxi driver how to get there.

I should be going to Singers by the end of next week. If not, then by the beginning of the week after. I'll email you to further confirm. If you stop work on the 4th and you're very busy, will you still have time to meet up?

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 12:50:14 AM
Author: Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I don''t actually know her in person. She''s somebody from another jewellery forum who asked me for help so I thought I''d check in with you. But I''ll let her know about Pearl City in Mei Hong Lu. So...when will you arrive in Singapore? I''m very likely leaving by end June. If I leave with DH (which I probably won''t, it''ll be 20 June - too early for me lah. I only stop work on 4th June, so lots of loose ends to tie up).

She should go to Carrey''s Pearl, and mention my name (I don''t mind if you give her my real name by email). It''s a husband and wife team. Carry speaks very good English and her pearls are better than most of the other pearls there (there are two, three other shops that carry high-end pearls but the people there don''t really speak English). Carry''s shop is unit #3721 and her HP is 137 6101 4568 and her email [email protected].

Your acquaintance may want to ask the concierge at her hotel to write down the name of the Pearl Centre and address in Chinese to show to her taxi driver. Taxi drivers here don''t speak English at all and they don''t know how to get to some place unless you give them the road intersection and even then you still have to direct them once you approach your building. Also, if she calls Carry when she''s in the taxi, Carry will be able to tell the taxi driver how to get there.

I should be going to Singers by the end of next week. If not, then by the beginning of the week after. I''ll email you to further confirm. If you stop work on the 4th and you''re very busy, will you still have time to meet up?

Can lah! I always have time to eat. Hahaha...plus we''ve been trying to meet for ages. If I don''t see you in Sing, I don''t think you''ll be visiting New Delhi any time soon, right?
9.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 8:45:04 AM

Date: 5/23/2010 12:50:14 AM
Author: Phoenix

She should go to Carrey''s Pearl, and mention my name (I don''t mind if you give her my real name by email). It''s a husband and wife team. Carry speaks very good English and her pearls are better than most of the other pearls there (there are two, three other shops that carry high-end pearls but the people there don''t really speak English). Carry''s shop is unit #3721 and her HP is 137 6101 4568 and her email [email protected].

Your acquaintance may want to ask the concierge at her hotel to write down the name of the Pearl Centre and address in Chinese to show to her taxi driver. Taxi drivers here don''t speak English at all and they don''t know how to get to some place unless you give them the road intersection and even then you still have to direct them once you approach your building. Also, if she calls Carry when she''s in the taxi, Carry will be able to tell the taxi driver how to get there.

I should be going to Singers by the end of next week. If not, then by the beginning of the week after. I''ll email you to further confirm. If you stop work on the 4th and you''re very busy, will you still have time to meet up?

Can lah! I always have time to eat. Hahaha...plus we''ve been trying to meet for ages. If I don''t see you in Sing, I don''t think you''ll be visiting New Delhi any time soon, right?
9.gif
Brilliant!! Can''t wait to finally meet you!
36.gif

(nope, not planning to visit New Delhi any time soon, ha ha)

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
On lah....see you in Singapore!
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results