shape
carat
color
clarity

phase 1 complete - bought stone & setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
The diamond is .90 ct, and I''m very happy with it. Not sure about the setting, though (18kt WG). On the plus side is the security of the stone. The prongs are quite solid and the stone is low set and obviously very secure on the bottom. From the top, it''s fine. But I''m a little concerned that the setting is kind of chunky looking - not graceful and airy. Opinions? (Apologies, my camera is not the best on this macro zoom scenario.)

Z.

crop0081.jpg

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
another pic.

crop0082.jpg

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
pic 3.

crop0086.jpg

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
pic 4.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
pic 5.

crop20084.jpg

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
pic 4 - 2nd try.

crop20083a.jpg

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Very unique setting, I like it
30.gif
30.gif

Just in case she would like something different, check with your jeweler and see if they might allow a change in setting after you pop the BIG Question!!

Congrats on a beautiful stone and new journey for your life
9.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations Z. I think the ring is lovely. These really close-up pictures do tend to sort of skew the perception of what the real ring actually looks like because they are so very big. How wide is the band at it''s widest part? 3 or 4 mm?

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I like it a lot, but I''m very partial to chunky settings. It''s a matter of personal preference. Some women like thin delicate rings and some prefer something that feels more substantial. What type of rings does your girlfriend normally wear? Do they tend to have thick bands or thin?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Z., if you were looking for graceful and airy I would ask the jeweler if it''s possible to consider another option. While I think this look is nice, it is NOT what I would consider graceful. It''s more "sturdy." Did you choose the setting?

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the responses. Thanks for the compliments!

Gale, I''ll try and take some measurements.

fuffi, the GF doesn''t wear rings. The one ring I''ve seen is not thin and airy.

Patty, I chose the setting, but I wasn''t being very decisive at the time. Just having 2nd thoughts. My GF tends to worry a lot about things being stolen, broken, etc., especially when they''re expensive. So sturdy could be a good thing.

I''m thinking I''ll just go with it. Top view, looking down on the stone, most solitaires appear about the same I find. They look like this-> -o-

Thinking about it, I don''t have any problems in getting another setting if she doesn''t like it. I''m more into whether she likes the diamond.

btw, what do we call it when the base of the stone is covered up like in this setting? Is this a basket?

Z.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Z, I think you are wise to let your girlfriend see the setting. It may be perfect for her if she worries about the security of expensive items. And the look is nice and unique from the side while traditional from the top. I''m not sure what style you would call your setting. It is a prong setting but the bottom part may be considered a basket.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Z - I really like the ring a lot. It is one of the nicest solitaire settings I have seen. It is slightly different from the norm and is very attractive indeed. The profile of the ring is beautiful, hairy knuckle and all (LOL). I love the squared off edges too. One of the big pluses of your ring is that the stone is set quite low. That''s really practical for someone who is not used to wearing rings, like your girl (doesn''t get caught as much, gets smacked by accident much less and so on). Don''t worry about getting that measurement - I was just trying to get an idea of the actual size of the ring in my head. Are you planning on proposing soon?

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Gale, thanks for the compliments. I feel better about the ring now. The picture is quite zoomed in - my knuckles really aren''t that hairy (honest)! The ring is size 5, so it fits on my little finger.

The dealer and the jeweller were big on a lower setting than typical Tiffany 4 prong. I think they want to protect the stone from mishap.

I''m thinking about a last minute weekend trip to Montreal in a week or 2 - pop the question there. Can''t believe how rapidly we''re approaching Christmas!

Z.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think everything about it is great, except for one thing I would want the jeweler to change: Under the diamond, I would want that area open, as in traditional basket settings. Then it would be fabulous.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

Just wanted to issue a followup. Proposed this weekend (she said yes), and the fiancee loved the ring! She liked the idea that the diamond was very secure. She wasn''t interested in a higher or more delicate looking setting.

I''ll try to post details of the proposal. Thanks for your responses to my questions.

Z.

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!!!!!!!!
36.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations to you and your fiancee! I''m glad she liked the ring and look forward to reading your proposal story.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results