shape
carat
color
clarity

PGS Certification Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
I''ve read through the older posts about PGS certs. and just wanted to see if anyone had experience with buying diamonds with a PGS cert.

There are mentions (in the old posts) that in a few cases the clarity grade decreased (which I would assume is rare) when submitting a PGS graded stone to GIA... has anyone else had this experience?

Any other information about PGS would be great as well.

Thanks.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rich,

I sent several PGS grades stones to AGS, just wanted to confirm what I thought to be true.

Most of them came back dead bang on, one which Tom Tashey (head of PGS) had told me was a low VS2 came back SI1. When I talked to AGS about it they said it was a high SI1, so basically they dissagreed by 1/2 grade, I can live with that. Another one came back a color grade higher. I could really live with that if it would only happen more often! You would get the same type of results if you sent GIA to AGS or AGS to GIA.

I think Tom is doing a great job, especially when you factor in that his lab turns your stones around in only a few days, and recently GIA has been taking up to six weeks, much to long to tie my pitiful little bit of money up. I need my money working, not sitting on its laurels at GIA.

Wink

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would not hesitate to buy a diamond with a PGS report.

Everyone in the trade familiar with PGS has high regard for the lab.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes Wink, AGS is stricter on clarity, but possibly a tiny bit softer soemtimes on color than GIA, so Tom is doing an excellent job.

It is funny that we always compare grading quality to GIA, but there are plenty of e.g.'s of GIA giving a different grade - and lots of times dealers argue with GIA and they change the grade in the dealers favour.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
Just a consumer chiming in...I bought two stones from Wink that came with PGS certs and both stones sparkle like crazy. Very good H&A patterns and perform the way well cut stones do
3.gif
. They were two half carats for earrings BTW.
Luv

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw this on the PGS website, interesting that it appears that they're now the first US lab I'm aware of to indicate hearts-and-arrows on their reports.

pgshanda.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results