shape
carat
color
clarity

Petite Orchid Pink Spinel - Cert & Setting?

Sokeai

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Always wanted to own a colored stone so i took the plunge and made my first purchase. Kind of reckless but simply couldn't resist the color and cut (obsessed with cushion since my ering is a round brilliant) of this baby.

While waiting for seller response, should i also add in certification? I'm also looking at LOGR's setting, huge selection to choose from and i'm lost for choice :-o

Appreciate any form of feedback,help and suggestions!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/2-73ct-ANTIQUE-CUT-NATURAL-PETITE-ORCHID-PINK-SPINEL-/330547004817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf6230591

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot see any definitive inclusions in that stone, and I typically look for bubbles (negative crystal) inclusions, or some silk, to see if it's a natural stone. They are synthesizing all kinds of colors these days, so unless someone can say that color is definitively not synthesized, I would probably get a small inexpensive memo from AIGS, or some other comprable lab. Just make sure the memo is refundable if you do not like the stone. Wait for others to chime in on this thread as well, as they may not be synthesizing that color, but I do not know 100% for sure. I wouldn't be surprised though.

Sokeai

Rough_Rock
TL|1303582935|2903455 said:
I cannot see any inclusions in that stone, and I typically look for bubbles (negative crystal) inclusions, or some silk, to see if it's a natural stone. They are synthesizing all kinds of colors these days, so unless someone can say that color is definitively not synthesized, I would probably get a small inexpensive memo from AIGS, or some other comprable lab. Just make sure the memo is refundable if you do not like the stone. Wait for others to chime in on this thread as well, as they may not be synthesizing that color, but I do not know 100% for sure. I wouldn't be surprised though.

Thanks TL ::) Do you mean something like card report/ full report?

I did noticed that there are some inclusions located along the top left corner, i was under the assumption that it is normal for SI1 clarity grade to exhibit such?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if it works anymore but try putting that seller's name into the search facility on this site. A huge warning bell for me is that the inclusion (top right of the still photo in the Ebay auction) isn't apparent in the video.

I'm sure you won't but don't buy the setting until you're 100% sure you love the stone when it arrives!

Sokeai

Rough_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1303583373|2903462 said:
I'm not sure if it works anymore but try putting that seller's name into the search facility on this site. A huge warning bell for me is that the inclusion (top right of the still photo in the Ebay auction) isn't apparent in the video.

I'm sure you won't but don't buy the setting until you're 100% sure you love the stone when it arrives!

It seems like their reputation isn't that ideal, oh dear. If their photos are doctored, even by sending the stone to the lab probably wouldn't help much?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sokeai|1303583127|2903458 said:
I cannot see any inclusions in that stone, and I typically look for bubbles (negative crystal) inclusions, or some silk, to see if it's a natural stone. They are synthesizing all kinds of colors these days, so unless someone can say that color is definitively not synthesized, I would probably get a small inexpensive memo from AIGS, or some other comprable lab. Just make sure the memo is refundable if you do not like the stone. Wait for others to chime in on this thread as well, as they may not be synthesizing that color, but I do not know 100% for sure. I wouldn't be surprised though.

Thanks TL ::) Do you mean something like card report/ full report?

I did noticed that there are some inclusions located along the top left corner, i was under the assumption that it is normal for SI1 clarity grade to exhibit such?

Memos are smaller reports that are usually credit card sized. They just show minimal information like the dimensions, carat weight, the gem species, and sometimes treatment (what the lab can detect). They are much more affordable that full reports which are on larger paper and a bit more comprehensive. AIGS makes a nice credit card sized report with a photo of the gem.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1303583373|2903462 said:

It's there, on the bottom left of the video. It looks like it may be a negative crystal, but without seeing it in person I can't really say. I don't trust the vendors photos usually, but unless they intentionally adding the grey to the picture I'd say it's not that doctored.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stopped buying from the vendor because I felt that despite the photo and the video, I was never sure what the stone would look like until I had it in hand. That makes it hard for you, because if you buy the stone and the memo, and they arrive and you just don't like the stone (as opposed to the stone being not as represented), I don't know that he will refund the cost of the memo.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay well I'm going to be really honest and say this is one vendor I avoid like the plague. His photos AND videos are normally heavily doctored. If you look in one of the stickies at the top of this part of the forum the one where it compares the vendor's photo to what has actually been received, you'll see why I wouldn't recommend them. I don't know how they do it but their videos were HIGHLY altered. The two gems I bought looked completely different in the videos to the rubbish that came in the post. :angryfire:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
They say it has no window but clearly it does. The color is so drab, it may be orchid pink, but they should have mentioned that the orchid was long dead. If it hasn't been shipped yet you could cancel the purchase, saving yourself the expense and grief of shipping it both ways, and tying up your funds for who knows how long?

Sokeai

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the valuable input. Will speak to the seller regarding this purchase. Meanwhile have to resume my hunt for similar stone 8)

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I cannot see any definitive inclusions in that stone, and I typically look for bubbles (negative crystal) inclusions, or some silk, to see if it's a natural stone.

There are bubbles in the upper right of the still shot and lower left of the video. Notice the color difference between the still and the video. I think that the video was taken under incandescent lighting and the still under fluorescent lighting. Some spinels are really bad for changing color and looking drab under fluorescent lighting. I've got one floating around here that is just gorgeous under incandescent and looks like a brick under fluorescent. make sure to look at spinels under fluorescent lighting before committing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1303663650|2904050 said:
I cannot see any definitive inclusions in that stone, and I typically look for bubbles (negative crystal) inclusions, or some silk, to see if it's a natural stone.

There are bubbles in the upper right of the still shot and lower left of the video. Notice the color difference between the still and the video. I think that the video was taken under incandescent lighting and the still under fluorescent lighting. Some spinels are really bad for changing color and looking drab under fluorescent lighting. I've got one floating around here that is just gorgeous under incandescent and looks like a brick under fluorescent. make sure to look at spinels under fluorescent lighting before committing.

I know, that is a requirement. I've also seen some spinels that look drab under sunlight, and change to visions of beauty under fluorescent. When buying a spinel, or any gem for that matter, it is always important to know how it looks under sunlight, incandescent, and fluorescent lighting. I work in an office with drab fluorescents all day, so all my gems need to look good under fluorescent lighting. I also look for lighter toned, medium to medium light toned spinels, as too many close up unless you shine all the energy of a supernova on them. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results