shape
carat
color
clarity

Peter Torraca new release

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild said:
I want to see all of your projects Gailey and Jstar! I've been on a big ol' spree too...it's bad. Mr. Freke just about killed me last week... :saint:

I'll do a major update before long Liz. I haven't done it up until now because I like to reply to everyone who is kind enough to comment and that's difficult for me in the summer months. And just what have you been up to young lady?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb said:
Freke - see page 69 of the Catch-All Thread, about 3/4 of the way down. None of them are done yet. Plus there's the green tourmaline, the tsavorite Gene just cut me that I haven't even seen yet, and the gray/blue color-shift spinel I ordered from Dana on impulse...

I'm a very bad girl. Mr. Jstar (I guess he's Kstar?) just shakes his head and rolls his eyes...

Now that's good. I like the sound of Kstar. Well thought up Jstar!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the record I own 2 of Mr. Torraca's stones, and while one was a bit more expensive for the carat weight of the stone in question (as compared to similar stones from Mr. Bridgestock and Mr. Stair) the color is pretty fantastic. I find his prices to be competitive with many custom cutters...minus Mr. White, whose prices make my stomach hurt...

I've been busy Mrs. Gailey! I was kept busy until about 8pm when I had a short break to screw around on the internet, take some pictures, size them and comment a bit here, and then I was busy again until now! Every day is kind of like that and I really don't have a lot of PS time anymore. Sad.

Doesn't mean I have been just sitting on my laurels though! I have many many projects in the works. Far too many. And I've picked up a lot of stones...guess what most of them are?! I know you'll never guess! :roll: Hah! You all know me better than that! Anyway, I won't post because this thread is for Mr. Torraca and sadly, none of my recent acquisitions are his. Boo!!!!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Gailey said:
jstarfireb said:
Freke - see page 69 of the Catch-All Thread, about 3/4 of the way down. None of them are done yet. Plus there's the green tourmaline, the tsavorite Gene just cut me that I haven't even seen yet, and the gray/blue color-shift spinel I ordered from Dana on impulse...

I'm a very bad girl. Mr. Jstar (I guess he's Kstar?) just shakes his head and rolls his eyes...

Now that's good. I like the sound of Kstar. Well thought up Jstar!

Thanks! His first initial is actually K, and I'm amused by the alphabetical proximity.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new ring is lovely Gailey.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tourmalines are going to look great in those earrings. Are you going to use diamonds or some other stones for at the top?

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the weird post. I really like the way he cuts, I guess the pricey part is my opinion. But you are right, sometimes you pay more for quality and trust. The earrings will be beautiful and I am loving pears more and more lately. Congrats on the new stones :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Gailey -- Very nice spinel ring!! Congrats to you (and Uppy). What's the size of that spinel?

Your inspiration earrings will be knockouts w/the tourmalines. Wish you'd hurry up so we can see pics!

I haven't been nuts about opposed bar cuts either -- but those who have them rave. Maybe they just don't photograph too well. I'm planning to hit a gem show the weekend after T'giving & hoping to see a real live one there, kind of expect to be wowed.

--- Laurie

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gailey :wavey:

Pardon the off topic question-- you mentioned (in my "morganite search" thread) back in the spring that you might be moving to Ontario. Is that still where you and your husband are planning on going? I hope it all goes well and that it's a happy move.

Gorgeous stones!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Gailey|1288842864| said:
JewelFreak said:
The tourmeline pair will make fantastic earrings. So different. I like the blue spinel too & am looking for one, only a little bit bigger. Sigh.

--- Laurie

Here are my inspiration earrings. When the tourmalines arrive, I will decide what colour I want for the small rounds. I have some 4mm imperial topaz, we'll see.

Beautiful earrings..It's going to be a stunner...are you going to be playing in the garden and wearing the earring??? :Up_to_something:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Those are some really pretty earrings, and I also look forward to seeing your version completed.

I am also of the opinion that Peter's stones are a good value. I am not an expert, but many of the stones I have observed so far involve more complex cuts or those which require quite a good degree of precision, or which other cutters are not fond of cutting (asschers in particular, but look through his flikr feed for some really complex designs). If you compare the type of cut and quality of the rough, I think you'll find that his work prices well against comparable stones.

I'm a fan and I expect to own more of Peter's work in the future. I'm still kicking myself over a very nice citrine trillion that he had available a few weeks ago.

Laura

Fuzzy25

Rough_Rock
Gailey|1288841109|2754595 said:
JewelFreak said:
The tourmeline pair will make fantastic earrings. So different. I like the blue spinel too & am looking for one, only a little bit bigger. Sigh.

--- Laurie

Thanks JewelFreak. Yes, I think they will. I've got a picture of some inspiration earrings somewhere, I'll find it. I'm a big fan of Peter's blue spinels having bought one previously. I actually got it set just recently with a couple of square old mine cut diamods, courtesey of Uppy.

Gailey,

I'm working with Peter on acquiring one of his stones and he sent me the picture of the spinel you purchased as a suggestion for the shape. Just wondering, if you don't mind, how does that cushion cut look "in real life" in terms of light play, brilliance, etc.?

The facets look wonderful in that close up picture; are you able to see them and the detailing at hands length and in everyday situations? Any other thoughts or comments on it?

Thanks so much!

Fuzzy25

Rough_Rock
The picture didn't seem to show up on the reply, so here it is...

PT Spinel.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi: I love PT stones !
I go to his site a lot, but don't see many updates there.
I actually rushed over there when I saw this thread, not initially
realizing that it was a revived thread from last Fall :oops:
I know he cuts on commission, so your stone will most
certainly be a beauty, especially in that cut, it's a stunner !!!!!

Fuzzy25

Rough_Rock
Didn't mean to lead you on there, Shiney. Apparently Pricescope doesn't have a private message feature so I wasn't sure how to get the info from Gailey without resurrecting the thread.

Anyone else with thoughts on that cut? Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fuzzy25|1304188214|2908631 said:
Didn't mean to lead you on there, Shiney. Apparently Pricescope doesn't have a private message feature so I wasn't sure how to get the info from Gailey without resurrecting the thread.

Anyone else with thoughts on that cut? Thanks!

I don't know how Gailey's stone looks in person, and it does look pretty in the sun. However, sometimes, and I've seen this with a Mahenge spinel, checkerboard faceting, or any table faceting, can sometimes cause extinction in a gem. I'm not saying that Gailey's does, but I have seen this happen with some gems, and a Mahenge spinel I once saw in person. I think some gems do better without table faceting. It depends on tone and saturation. I would probably not do a dark toned stone with table faceting.

Now I can't tell very well if Gailey's stone has table faceting, but you might want to ask. It's hard to see the facet pattern in Peter's photo.

If it has a high crown however, that's a plus, and I like that in spinels, as it tends to allow for more refraction. Gailey's stone appears to have a nice high crown, rather than table faceting, but I do not know for sure. Maybe a lapidary can give some better commentary on this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results