shape
carat
color
clarity

Petal invites from Paper Source

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I am the most indesicive person I know when it comes to flowers and invites. I really frustrate myself. But I attribute it to the fact that I really want quality at a price I can afford and that just takes more time and effort to find that balance!!

So I''m taking another look at papersource for getting the things I need to fashion together my own invites. I want double layer and I want square and I want it cheaper than $200 for our 55 invites. But I actually WANT to do them myself. I want the experience of that craftiness :) I really love the Petal invites from papersoucre but after watching thier video about how to actually put it all together, it looks like there are so many areas where one could flub things up.

Has anyone DIY''d the petal invites from papersource? Any comments on that experience?

(ps. I could just do "normal" double layer squares with a regular envelope, I understand that, but for now I want to entertain the petal style a little longer)

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I used the petal envelopes and square card stock for our STDs. They were super easy. I printed all our info on paper source''s square stock, separated cards with vellum that I purchased from staples. I folded the petals closed under over, under over, so there was almost a windmill appearance to the front. (Does that make sense?) The only part of the whole thing that took any time or creative thinking was the printing format and using ribbon decoratively on the petal.

People complimented me on them and I was pretty proud of the result. I definitely recommend them.

I''ll try to take some photos for you.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 4:49:29 PM
Author: Munchkin
I used the petal envelopes and square card stock for our STDs. They were super easy. I printed all our info on paper source''s square stock, separated cards with vellum that I purchased from staples. I folded the petals closed under over, under over, so there was almost a windmill appearance to the front. (Does that make sense?) The only part of the whole thing that took any time or creative thinking was the printing format and using ribbon decoratively on the petal.

People complimented me on them and I was pretty proud of the result. I definitely recommend them.

I''ll try to take some photos for you.

Oh, I see. The way you did it sounds much less complicated than the way they prescribe doing it on thier website. Because the invite was a double layer style that was also affixed to the back of the petal envelope, this required two uses of thier nifty Xyron machine. This machine made each layer adhere to the previous one in a seamless manner. I was hoping I could the same look with a glue stick on all four corners but who knows! lol. Anyhow, using the machine was not confusing for me.....but actually affixing the now sticky layers evenly and lined-up made me cringe.

How did you make sure your layers stuck well?

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I had a layer that held our magnet and another layer that had hotel info, so they weren''t attached to one another. I used the glue dots from their site to attach the magnet, though. I thought they would be that moldable sticky stuff that temporarily attaches things, but they were much stronger than I thought!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Munchkin,
I''d love to see some pics of your save-the-dates using the petal invites.
We''re doing magnets as well, and want a smallish card with hotel info.

I''ve ordered an embosser and some paper samples from paper source and love their customer service.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I haven''t used them for invites (yet!) I LOVE the petal invites from them. I think we might use them too. I know at the paper source in Chicago they are super friendly and if you ask for help they can steer you towards the cheapest and easiest option to get the look you want.

Good luck!

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the front:

12-Photo 12.jpg

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
First layer:
I blocked it out, but under the crests was our wedding date in script and on the next line, our wedding webpage address in small times new roman.

13-Photo 13.jpg

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Hotel info layer:

14-Photo 14.jpg

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Munchkin,
those are great!

if you don''t mind sharing, i have 2 questions-
1) is it convenient/easy to print on a home printer directly onto the square inserts from papersource? i''d love to buy them premade, but wasn''t sure how they would go thru the printer (actually i have the same question on their business cards

2) did you measure the hole punch sites, or just sort of eyeball them? i like the ribbon closure idea- but don''t want to get into a huge measuring fest- i''m all about convenience!

Thanks

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
The card stock, business cards and envelopes all went through the printer just fine. I would suggest "fanning" out the envelopes before you feed them, though. They would jam if a flap was over an adjacent envelope.

I had zero problems with the card stock or business cards.

I just eyeballed the holes. I folded the corners over each other and then punched the holes so I could better eyeball it.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!
We just ordered our magnets, so I think I''m going to order these petal invites and inserts-

tulipcloud

Shiny_Rock
The petal invites look harder to make than they appear! I just finished my son''s 1st birthday invites and was able to do 25 for less than $50. They now have the Word template available on-line to type the invite so it centers everything for you at http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/ideas/wedinvite.html under Petal invite. I also used this tape
http://www.xyron.com/enUS/Products/Permanent_Scrapbook_Tape.html
in addition to the Xyron machine to mount all the pages. It''s actually easier to manage than having the whole page being sticky and less expensive than the Xyron machine cartridge. It''s the same adhesive used in the machine.
It took me about 2 hours to get everything put together once I got the hang of it. Remember though that the square invitations require more postage than rectangular invites.

the final product:

IMG_0248 (Small).JPG

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Tulip: Thank you! You''ve answered my original question perfectly :) I especially appreciate your commenting on adhesives!! Your invites look so cute :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results