shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet rescue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Is anyone here involved? It seems like we have a lot of huge animal lovers around, and it''s only natural for some to spend their time/money on helping out in the rescue world.

When I was a college girl in the States, I fostered dogs for a local rescue group -- and of course my very first dog was a foster failure! I couldn''t let go of him and even had him shipped down under when I moved to Australia 4 years ago!

My partner and I only started fostering again in February, for SAFE (Saving Animals from Euthanasia). We started with two cats, and eventually picked up a gorgeous little Kelpie cross puppy from the pound as well (it was her expiration date and after one look at her sweet face I couldn''t let her be put down!). One of our foster cats was adopted 2 weeks ago and our little puppy (I named her Maisie) was just dropped off at her new mom''s house tonight. It''s a very quiet household without her puppy energy making her bounce from room to room!

I feel wonderful knowing that she''s got a new owner who is going to love her, and had we not taken care of her she would have been euthanized, but I still feel sad giving her up. It''s definitely the hardest part of rescuing!!
39.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Would love to foster, but don''t have the time to commit to it. I used to volunteer at a shelter though.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am involved. I work with a rescue that goes in and gets animals out of harmful situations like abuse and puppy mills. After one particularly large rescue effort I ended up with two of them that seem convinced that I am the mother ship and have been with me ever since. I''ve thought about adding fostering to what I do but bf is not so sure...he''s fairly certain I wouldn''t let them go and he is most likely right.
4.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm involved in greyhound rescue. I love greyhounds!!! I love all dogs really (and cats too!!) But, greyhounds hold a very special place in my heart.

I did foster once. It was supposed to be for two weeks only. The future adopters decided to adopt another greyhound after my foster started showing neurological symptoms. I officially adopted him shortly thereafter. DH no longer thinks it is a good idea for me to foster.
15.gif
And, he is right, really, I develop emotional attachments to greyhounds very quickly.

So, now I try to help where I can. A few weeks ago, on a Sunday night, I helped get 10 greyhounds off of a haul from FL to CT. These greyhounds were fresh off the track and had been on the hauler on a drive straight through. We got them into a fenced backyard as quickly as we could. When all 10 were in the yard together, they took off running together. From a short distance, they looked like a flock of geese. The way they ran together was quite magical and beautiful. Thank goodness their trainers are dedicated enough to bring them so far so they have can have wonderful lives in retirement!

Here's a pic of my boy Jasper (on the right) and three of his greyhound friends (all from the same Florida track) at a parade that we walked in earlier this year for the adoption group. The two greyhounds in front are brother and sister and were adopted to the same family.
1.gif

Jasper parade four.JPG

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never fostered, but I have spent time in animal shelter''s walking dogs. I haven''t done it in about a year because I''m always traveling for work, but I just loved doing it when I had time. I honestly didn''t get sad about the dogs leaving because I knew they were going to great homes. I''m not sure if I would be able to foster without wanting to keep them all though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do what I can, 2 of my horses are rescue and many of my cats and my chickens. I very much support this charity

www.ilph.org and other animal charities where possible. I am always on the lookout for animals in need and try to do what I can to help. One day I hope to do more.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2009 9:28:16 AM
Author:justginger
Is anyone here involved? It seems like we have a lot of huge animal lovers around, and it''s only natural for some to spend their time/money on helping out in the rescue world.

When I was a college girl in the States, I fostered dogs for a local rescue group -- and of course my very first dog was a foster failure! I couldn''t let go of him and even had him shipped down under when I moved to Australia 4 years ago!

My partner and I only started fostering again in February, for SAFE (Saving Animals from Euthanasia). We started with two cats, and eventually picked up a gorgeous little Kelpie cross puppy from the pound as well (it was her expiration date and after one look at her sweet face I couldn''t let her be put down!). One of our foster cats was adopted 2 weeks ago and our little puppy (I named her Maisie) was just dropped off at her new mom''s house tonight. It''s a very quiet household without her puppy energy making her bounce from room to room!

I feel wonderful knowing that she''s got a new owner who is going to love her, and had we not taken care of her she would have been euthanized, but I still feel sad giving her up. It''s definitely the hardest part of rescuing!!
39.gif
Ginger, this is a marvellous thing to do , THANK YOU!!!

THANKS also to SCG and LV for what you do!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE everybody''s stories - I know we have many here on PS who are huge advocates for animals and their welfare.

I volunteer at my local animal shelter, walking, training and helping adopt out dogs, and also finding homes for kitties. Its one of the things I''m going to miss most after we move, and I suspect (sadly) that I won''t have as much time once I start my new job and am traveling a lot.

I''d love to foster someday, but first we''d need the space.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have helped to rescue several animals in the past. Although none of our current in house animals are rescues, we have rescued ponies, horses and dogs and helped to rehome them or to find their owners (in the event that they were lost). SO''s mom has many many rescues, including two older dogs, several younger dogs, a flock of chickens, several ducks, and three of her horses are rescues.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is against us fostering because it would be impossibly hard for me to give up a dog after I've bonded with it. My oldest dog is a NSAL rescue picked up in very bad shape from a NYC kill shelter. She is one of the loves of our lives. In gratitude for the unbelievable medical care the NSAL gave my oldest girl, I have been a sponsor for last four years of "Ellie", and unadoptable dog (because of health problems) who is also a North Shore Animal League rescue who is living happily with foster parents. Ellie gets a check every month from us that contributes to her medical bills and medication.

I also give money quarterly to Guide Dogs for the Blind locally. I deepy admire and respect what this foundation does, training beautiful Labs to be companions to the blind and disabled.

This is our Ellie. She is the sixth dog in the top row. I couldn't cut and paste her photo. https://secure.ga4.org/01/sponsor_dog

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We volunteer with the rescue group that our two dogs came from. One of our dogs was a failed foster (we were supposed to foster but couldn''t resist him so we kept him). But we have managed to successfully foster dogs recently without keeping them.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're been involved with rescue for 6 years now. used to volunteer at a shelter as well. I have a current foster kitty, Lucy. I'd actually love to keep her, but 9 months, no luck with integration into our household. When we place her, I we'll probably take another. We have the room, and it's really a lovely feeling, though very hard to not get attached.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We''ve adopted several animals from the Humane Society, donate money and supplies to them every year, and are currently inquiring to become a foster family. I considered volunteering at the local shelter, but it''s just too heartbreaking. I think fostering is a way we can add value!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of our dogs and our horse are both rescues. Also, I donate money every month to the rescue our horse came from. And we are applying to adopt a French bulldog from the French Bulldog Rescue Network.
9.gif

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
I volunteer at our local shelter and i adopted my dog from a shelter which i plan do do with all future animals. Hopefully one day i''ll be able to foster but i will probably become attached to the animals like many here have so i think volunteering at the shleter is the safest bet for me.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
It''s fantastic how many people help out in such a variety of ways. It *is* very difficult to give up a foster after bonding, but I''m thankful that our rescue organization allows us to really decide where they go -- if we aren''t comfortable with the home check we perform, the animal will not be sent home with that individual. It''s nice to know that after spending so much time with the pet, the committee members are happy to allow us to use our best judgement in regards to their forever homes. :)

Erica, I reckon you''d be a FANTASTIC foster mom! The property you have would be a haven for some very needy pups, I think. I''m with you in regards to working at a shelter - I can handle forming one bond at a time, that''s necessarily broken, but there''s no way I''d be able to bond with a whole shelterful of animals! There are so few true no-kill shelters that I think I''d die of heartbreak.

36.gif
What a great job everyone here does, helping out in the animal world! I bet a lot of furbabies are living much better because of you guys.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
My mother recently rescued a miniature dachshund named Joey. He is so cute! He''s feisty, and is missing several teeth due to his past caretakers NOT taking care of him... Which is kind of good because he bites at your feet, but with less teeth he is less likely to draw blood!
28.gif

We love him.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I volunteer with our regional newfoundland club--we help transport newfs to their forever homes, troll newspapers, craigslist, pet stores, etc. for people giving away dogs and encourage them to turn them over to rescue to keep them out of the hands of puppy mills and BYBs--we''ve even purchased dogs to turn over to rescue in order to keep them out of the wrong hands. I firmly support great breeders over rescue and in my ideal world, there would be no need for rescue because owners would buy from responsible breeders who require owners to sign contracts stating they will not sell or turn the dog over to another person or group--instead the dog would go back to the breeder so he/she can rehome the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results