shape
carat
color
clarity

Personal Freedom, personal responsibility and social control.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless negligence can be proved, a gun owner (or car owner or owner of any other stolen item) is not criminally or financially responsible for criminal actions of a thief. Proximate cause doctrine applies.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very sad we have to legislate common sense. But you know what "they" say about common sense. It isn't very common at all. :(

I can agree with this. I think we all know some things are NOT good for society as a whole: obesity, smoking, alcoholism, driving without a seat-belt or whilst on the phone. It benefits us all to reward good behaviour and discourage bad behaviour. The cost of obesity on the public health system is immense and rising yearly - maybe I'm not keen on MY taxes paying for other people's shitty personal "freedom" choices. :roll2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can agree with this. I think we all know some things are NOT good for society as a whole: obesity, smoking, alcoholism, driving without a seat-belt or whilst on the phone. It benefits us all to reward good behaviour and discourage bad behaviour. The cost of obesity on the public health system is immense and rising yearly - maybe I'm not keen on MY taxes paying for other people's shitty personal "freedom" choices. :roll2:

The Aussie Govt. is currently spending Aussie tax payers money on education programs in schools, advertising campaigns, money into the medical system to educated people in our society about obesity, healthier eating choices and the importance of exercising every day (ads on the radio and TV are currently running). It's a more subtle way than banning soft drinks and fast foods, there has also been discussion about higher taxes on fast foods here too.

So your taxes are already paying for other people's personal "freedom" choices....

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It really doesn't surprise. We have had "sin" taxes for decades. A tax or restriction on soda is yet another restricted pleasure. Insurance companies influence some of this legislation and we all know that they much prefer to receive premiums than to pay out. Anything which negatively impacts their bottom line results in legislation, higher premiums or dropped coverage.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Aussie Govt. is currently spending Aussie tax payers money on education programs in schools, advertising campaigns, money into the medical system to educated people in our society about obesity, healthier eating choices and the importance of exercising every day (ads on the radio and TV are currently running). It's a more subtle way than banning soft drinks and fast foods, there has also been discussion about higher taxes on fast foods here too.

So your taxes are already paying for other people's personal "freedom" choices....

Yeah I do agree with that and yes, education is probably a great way to help avoid future problems but perhaps doesn't have such a "quick response"? It would be interesting to see how much effect education has had overall over the years ie. the rates of obesity in future generations. (I'm not up on all the latest figures). :read: I do think price point does play a huge part in people's decision making and if something is very bad for you AND it's also expensive, it may assist in discouraging consumption.

I think non-smoking campaigns and blank packaging have been great examples of successful education campaigns combined with increases in taxation on cigarettes directly affecting smoking rates. Apparently a 15% drop in rates since the introduction of these measures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results