shape
carat
color
clarity

peridot

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aggal06

Shiny_Rock
Just out of curiosity since I''m seeing all of these green rings and stones. I''m usually a lurker. (Green is my favorite color!!) Does anyone here own a peridot engagement ring or a peridot ring in general? I was looking at some on wildfishgems and they look so much prettier than the ones I''m used to (I''m guessing those are lab grown) I guess some of them look like they have a lot of yellow in them is what I''m trying to say. http://wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/4287 I find that one lovely for some reason.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
While the color is lovely, the cut is off. One end seems distinctly wider than the other end. Plus, the faceting in the middle looks off...

Granted, this is all from a glance...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Peridot is pretty fragile, so I wouldn''t recommend it for an e-ring.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 7:44:59 PM
Author: Pandora II
Peridot is pretty fragile, so I wouldn''t recommend it for an e-ring.
+1.

movie zombie

aggal06

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info. I didn''t realize peridot was so fragile! I''m looking at a list of gemstones/hardness scale thing on a website and it looks like maybe tourmaline is a better choice? It''s still going to be a few months until I even get to start really thinking about what I want, but I think I can still start looking around and find what I like! website
3.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If you are going to get a coloured gemstone as an e-ring it is worth thinking in advance about your feelings towards wearing your ring.

Mine is a tsavorite which is one of the harder green gemstones, but I am very careful with it.

I probably wear it for about 10 hours a day maximum. As soon as I get home it comes off and goes in it's box and only comes out just before I leave the house again and if I'm doing something which might involve a lot of carrying or other dangerous activities I don't wear it at all.

If you want a ring you wear most of the time, a coloured stone is probably not for you. Sapphires stand up better than most, but even they need care.

Hardness isn't everything when it comes to assessing suitability. You also need to look at things like cleavage and brittleness. The Mohs only measures the ability of a stone to resist scratching. It is NOT a measure of toughness. A stone can be soft and yet very tough (eg jade) depending on its crystalline structure. Stones with perfect cleavage will split in two if you bash them in the wrong place.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ah, a jade e-ring.........i think one would be lovely! that is one color stone i''d pair with diamonds for an e-ring.

movie zombie

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 4:25:34 PM
Author: Pandora II
If you are going to get a coloured gemstone as an e-ring it is worth thinking in advance about your feelings towards wearing your ring.

Mine is a tsavorite which is one of the harder green gemstones, but I am very careful with it.

I probably wear it for about 10 hours a day maximum. As soon as I get home it comes off and goes in it''s box and only comes out just before I leave the house again and if I''m doing something which might involve a lot of carrying or other dangerous activities I don''t wear it at all.

If you want a ring you wear most of the time, a coloured stone is probably not for you. Sapphires stand up better than most, but even they need care.

Hardness isn''t everything when it comes to assessing suitability. You also need to look at things like cleavage and brittleness. The Mohs only measures the ability of a stone to resist scratching. It is NOT a measure of toughness. A stone can be soft and yet very tough (eg jade) depending on its crystalline structure. Stones with perfect cleavage will split in two if you bash them in the wrong place.
Including diamonds!

aggal06

Shiny_Rock
You guys have such a wealth of information! Thank you! Now I know not to just look at the hardness of stones! :)

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
There has been a lot of Chinese peridot on the market lately and that is probably what you have been seeing. It tends to have yellow undertones.

For comparison, the peridot out of Pakistan tends to be very apple green and typically doesn''t have those yellow undertones. It also has a broader range of saturations from very light, minty green to very saturated, almost kelly-greens.

Arizona peridot can go either way. Some is a beautiful apple green, some is yellowish-green and some is olivey green.

Just for reference, I don''t believe there is any lab-grown peridot. There are certainly some simulants on the market, but any real peridot will be natural.

psichedout

Rough_Rock
Alexandrite is about as hard as it gets in coloured stones and it''s green (sometimes)
Sue

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 8:06:11 PM
Author: psichedout
Alexandrite is about as hard as it gets in coloured stones and it''s green (sometimes)
Sue
Chrysoberyl is from the same family as Alexandrite and does have more of a peridot type colour than other green stones. I would probably go with that over a tourmaline.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results