shape
carat
color
clarity

Peridot help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
After seeing some of the pieces I have put together for Mrs Tropicmaster a friend has asked me to help her with an earing project. She wants to make a set of peridot studs somewhere between 7-9 mm. I know NOTHING about Peridot. It did not take much looking to discover that there is bad and ugly out there- I just have been unable to find the good! If anyone stumbles across a nice pair on the net I would appreciate an assist! My friend is fairly open on shape but prefers round. I dont really know what to lok for and what to avoid other than strictly on appearance.

TIA!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
try http://www.diamondexpert.com/ I bought a citrine from him, and contemplated a peridot earring set. Ask him for more pictures because most he doesn't have up. good prices too, I bought two peridot, one from artcutgems.com and I had one cut by Gary Braun at finewatergems.com
you know, 9mm is awfully large for one ear lobe.. are you sure that's the size she wants? just curious.

As for cut, I really love my peridot that was cut in concave faceting. any particular cut in mind. Let me see if I can find some pictures of my peridot. both are 8mm in size.

ETA: i prefer my peridot from Pakistan, which is my portuguese cut round one (more expensive-though), but I happen to like my concave cut from china as well

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ahhh Here is a peridot cut by Gary at finewater, there is no dark spot on that peridot, my shadow and the cutting kind of gives it the effect but it really is a beautiful apple green uniform color Portuguese Cut.

6.20.09dt1%20010.jpg

6.20.09dt1%20012.jpg

Peridotfinewatersdt.jpg

VENDOR pic.

My Concave Peridot from artcutgems
peridotconcaveartcutgems1%20002.jpg

peridotconcaveartcutgems1%20001.jpg

Hope these pictures somewhat helps again are you sure about 7-9mm?

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/26/2009 5:17:30 PM
Author: D&T
try http://www.diamondexpert.com/ I bought a citrine from him, and contemplated a peridot earring set. Ask him for more pictures because most he doesn't have up. good prices too, I bought two peridot, one from artcutgems.com and I had one cut by Gary Braun at finewatergems.com
you know, 9mm is awfully large for one ear lobe.. are you sure that's the size she wants? just curious.

As for cut, I really love my peridot that was cut in concave faceting. any particular cut in mind. Let me see if I can find some pictures of my peridot. both are 8mm in size.
I know Garys work very well, and it is fantastic! I have made both rings and earrings from his stones and in fact am sitting on a loose stone to set in another ring as we speak. No details due to Mrs Tropicmaster occasionally stopping in here for a look around-lol He does not currently have any peridots on his site but I should call him and ask what rough he has laying around. I am not sure about the size at all. My friend does not grasp the carats versus MM thing very well. I e mailed her the actual size page from the ANC website, so maybe Monday I can look at it with her and get a better idea on size. The 7-9 is coming from my perception of her idea of "big". Not just anybody can pull off 9mm earrings and she is an understated kind of Woman.

ETA- Your stones are beautiful. The loose stone I am working with right now from Gary is that portugese cut and man does it glitter!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2009 5:35:46 PM
Author: Tropicmaster

Date: 6/26/2009 5:17:30 PM

I know Garys work very well, and it is fantastic! I have made both rings and earings from his stones and in fact am sitting on a loose stone to set in another ring as we speak. No details due to Mrs Tropicmaster occasionally stopping in here for a look around-lol He does not currently have any peridots on his site but I should call him and ask what rough he has laying around. I am not sure about the size at all. My friend does not grasp the carats versus MM thing very well. I e mailed her the actual size page from the ANC website, so maybe Monday I can look at it with her and get a better idea on size. The 7-9 is coming from my perception of her idea of 'big'. Not just anybody can pull off 9mm earings and she is an understated kind of Woman.
lol... I hope I can pull off 8mm on my finger
vivid green peridot is more ideal in color with a hint of yellow or gold per se. I like peridots because it just feels light an airy to me... if that makes sense. What a fun project you got going on.

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Do you think they are a bit on the yellow side? Maybe I dont know what I am looking at. I like the shape though!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2009 7:56:30 PM
Author: Tropicmaster
Do you think they are a bit on the yellow side? Maybe I dont know what I am looking at. I like the shape though!
Ask Richard to see if he doesn''t mind posting some additional hand pictures, sometimes the vendor pictures pick up a little light or darker than the actual stone. I think its a pretty color but peridot does come in a variety of green shades. Do you want a darker green? The citrine I got from Diamond Expert was not the color on the screen, and but I knew what the color should be similar to. hmmm. There are a few trillions on Garry Duttons site (diamondexpert.com) but no pictures of them.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe this color green? see if Jeff white has any roughs to cut can''t hurt to ask.

peridotjeffwhitegem111.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2009 11:11:16 PM
maybe this color green? see if Jeff white has any roughs to cut can''t hurt to ask.
Now that''s what I call a green peridot without any olive undertones. Peridots come in many shades of green from yellowish to a pure green. It sounds like you are looking more for the pure green. 7 mm rounds for earrings are a decent size. 9 mm would certainly make a huge statement for studs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results