shape
carat
color
clarity

Peridot e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
I am seraching now for a peridot stone for an e-ring (a second option if they can''t find a diamond)
My friend loves these, but I don''t know where to start. I found a few completed rings that I think she''ll love...but how do I know if the quality of the peridot is good?

There isn''t a clairty grading, etc. on the page...are they all eye clean? Here are some sites I''m looking at.

http://www.jewelsforme.com/itemlist-main.asp?Category=Rings&PrRange=0&GemType=08&Style=&Page=1&Shape=emerald-cut

http://www.mysolitaire.com/peridotrings/

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Maybe an expert will chime in, but I thought peridots weren''t as good for engagement rings because they''re too soft and fragile for everyday wear. Some of those rings are really beautiful and I could be wrong, but I wanted to throw that out there just in case it is true.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Peridot is a 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale, but I could be wrong. If it is, I would not want it for an engagement ring.

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah I wouldn''t do an ering in peridot. It''s only a 6.5-7 on the Mohs, and I wouldn''t risk anything that''s less than an 8 (mine will be an 8 with spinel, and I''m not going to wear it that much--partially because I don''t want anything to happen to it.)

However, if it''s green that she''s interested in, she could probably look into green sapphires. There are some really gorgeous ones out there, and it''s more durable than a peridot. It probably won''t be the same color, but I''d trade an off color for a stone that is going to be more durable. This is providing that she''s not ok with trading out her stone when it becomes damaged (which is something I considered).

Here''s one

Another

Another

Another

Another

Another

The cool thing about green sapphires is that they are cheaper than blue, pink and yellow because they are less desired.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke beat me with suggesting a green sapphire instead. It would wear a lot better in an ering.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If she''s not planing to wear her e-ring daily, she can have a peridot, especially if she''s OK with getting a new one once this one wears off too much. Otherwise, you can check tourmaline or chrysoberyl (since sapphire is already mentioned) and even green beryl, tsavorite or mali garnet in case of occasional wear.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did ask her if she she would be okay w/another stone type besides peridot because it''s so soft. She says its the LIME green she likes...not the dark green. I found a ring I know is perfect for her...but I don''t know if they''ll replace stones (even at the buyers cost) I suppose I should ask them!

What do you think of this ring? Also, is there another stone that lookes like a lime green thats harder? She doesn''t like the dark green...only the lime!

Thanks so much PS''ers!

Heres the linky!

http://www.belljewels.com/Peridot-Fine_Green_Peridot_Diamonds_Ring_14k_White_Gold_1.html

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Heck, at that price, if she likes the ring, buy a couple of them. Wear one all the time, let it get dinged up, and keep the other one nice for lower risk activities.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A "harder lime" would be chrysoberyl. THIS is probably out of your price range, but nice smaller stones can be bought for reasonable amounts (like THIS ONE). The stone is 8.5 on the hardness scale where diamond is 10 and ruby or sapphire is 9, so it''s more than suitable for an e-ring.

Mali garnet is also lime in color, it''s harder than peridot, but not as hard as chrysoberyl. HERE is a nice example.

Both of these varieties have a higher refractive index than peridot, which means that they slow down light more i.e. they scintilate more (in other words light sparkles more in them). Garnet is also singly refractive which makes it even more brilliant - for an explanation of single vs. double refractivity feel free to google
1.gif

Hope this was of some help
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a good peridot replacement is indeed mali garnet. however, garnets, including my orange spess, are too soft for 24/7 wear.

movie zombie

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2008 11:25:34 AM
Author: ma re
A ''harder lime'' would be chrysoberyl. THIS is probably out of your price range, but nice smaller stones can be bought for reasonable amounts (like THIS ONE). The stone is 8.5 on the hardness scale where diamond is 10 and ruby or sapphire is 9, so it''s more than suitable for an e-ring.

Mali garnet is also lime in color, it''s harder than peridot, but not as hard as chrysoberyl. HERE is a nice example.

Both of these varieties have a higher refractive index than peridot, which means that they slow down light more i.e. they scintilate more (in other words light sparkles more in them). Garnet is also singly refractive which makes it even more brilliant - for an explanation of single vs. double refractivity feel free to google
1.gif

2.gif

Thanks for the info!
She loves a cushion cut diamond shape, and so that''s why I found that one!

I contacted the store and they said they''ll replace the stones at any time for 15.00. WOW! For that price she can have it replaced until they can afford to put a diamond in the setting, or get a dimaond e-ring (if she so chooses!)

Thanks guys!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
A 'harder lime' would be chrysoberyl. THIS is probably out of your price range, but nice smaller stones can be bought for reasonable amounts (like THIS ONE). The stone is 8.5 on the hardness scale where diamond is 10 and ruby or sapphire is 9, so it's more than suitable for an e-ring.

Mali garnet is also lime in color, it's harder than peridot, but not as hard as chrysoberyl. HERE is a nice example.

1.gif

2.gif

Great suggestions!
That first lime chrysoberyl is an awesome color! Chrysoberyl is a GREAT ring stone--very durable.

Does she like peridot's basic hue or does she just like green? Freke's suggestion of green sapphire is also a good one--good durable stone.

Does she like blue-green or only yellow-green. If you venture into the blueish green arena, there are many gems to be found.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Do the prices on "My Solitaire" seem a bit high? Seems that way to me, no?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2008 12:52:47 PM
Author: coatimundi

A ''harder lime'' would be chrysoberyl. THIS is probably out of your price range, but nice smaller stones can be bought for reasonable amounts (like THIS ONE). The stone is 8.5 on the hardness scale where diamond is 10 and ruby or sapphire is 9, so it''s more than suitable for an e-ring.

1.gif

2.gif

Great suggestions!
That first lime chrysoberyl is an awesome color! Chrysoberyl is a GREAT ring stone--very durable.

Does she like peridot''s basic hue or does she just like green? Freke''s suggestion of green sapphire is also a good one--good durable stone.

Does she like blue-green or only yellow-green. If you venture into the blueish green arena, there are many gems to be found.

She only likes the yellow-green...I asked because I knew that the peridot may not be the good for an e-ring. She says it has to be the LIME GREEN. She doens''t like any other green.

If we can find around a carat cushion LIME GREEN stone that is hard enough for everyday wear I would like that much better and buy a setting seperate!

Thanks guys!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I really like #8 from the link TL posted - it looks pretty limey.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go on page 2 and beyond of the link I posted, there's some more lime green ones, but in that particular link on page 1, I think #2 has the best overal color and cut for lime stones. The neon one on that page is to die for though!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2008 4:18:09 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
If you go on page 2 and beyond of the link I posted, there''s some more lime green ones, but in that particular link on page 1, I think #2 has the best overal color and cut for lime stones. The neon one on that page is to die for though!!

I love all the stones you posted...but do they have any in a cushion cut? I know it''s difficult..but that''s what I''m struggling with here!
Thanks!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The peridot ring she loves is gorgeous. Since that is what she wants, I would get that. Even if you have to replace the stone somewhere down the road (or just that one polished up again) it wouldn''t be that expensive. If she is careful with it I am sure it will wear pretty well.

E B

Ideal_Rock
redrose,

This is a tsavorite garnet, but it looks lime greenish. You might ask the seller to take a picture in sunlight to get a better idea of color:

Tsavorite Cushion Cut

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2008 5:39:53 PM
Author: EBree
redrose,

This is a tsavorite garnet, but it looks lime greenish. You might ask the seller to take a picture in sunlight to get a better idea of color:

Tsavorite Cushion Cut

WOW!
30.gif

You rock! I''ll def. have to show it to him and see what he thinks!
I also like the other ring...she''s a danity girl and she''ls very careful w/what she has. She can always get a plain band for when she''s going to be to rough...and wear the peridot when she''s going out!

Thanks so much!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually have a cushion cut demantoid garnet from Africa. They''re often cushion cut and it''s like an olive green, and more grass green in daylight, but it sparkles like a diamond. I wear a Russian round brilliant cut demantoid in a bezel setting almost every day, and although it''s a slightly soft stone, it''s doing well. The Russian stones are sometimes cut in cushions as well, but they''re much more expensive than the African stones.

Here''s an African stone for sale, and as a garnet, they have almost the same refractive index as diamonds. They look like green diamonds actually.

Just some other thoughts.

http://www.gemwow.com/gemdetail/107_128_35510/Cut_African_Demantoid.aspx?backurl=/gemlistbysubcategory/107_128/Rare_Gemstones.aspx%3fcurrent_page=0%26keyword=%26weight=0%26shape=0%26price=0

Here''s mine (wish I had a better pic) - it sparkles like there''s no tomorrow.

demantoid_africa_cushion.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 9:25:35 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
and as a garnet, they have almost the same refractive index as diamonds.
Let''s not exaggerate - 1.89 compared to 2.41 is far from the same. Of course they are very sparkly, but still not like diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results