shape
carat
color
clarity

peridot and sapphire ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I''d like to find a peridot and sapphire ring.. I''m open to all style ideas: 3 stone, alternating in a band, halo, anything!

This is something I''d like to get in the next year or so.. My birthstone is sapphire, and my boyfriend''s is peridot. But I don''t know where to look for quality gemstone rings! Advice?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have never seen that combo together. It might be something where you would find the stones than make the ring.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I did some snooping online, and looks like I''m going to have to have some custom work.

Any advice on reputable websites that work with semi precious and precious gems?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
In the late 19th and early 20th century there was a style of rings called "toi et moi" (French for "you and me") which always had two stones in a setting, representing people in love. HERE is an antique dealer that has a lot of them, so take a look, you might find the idea interesting. And just a suggestion, that if you go on with mixing peridot and sapphire, I''d advise you against typical dark blue sapphires, cause it''s easier to mix peridot (or any other gem, for that matter) with a stone of similar tone of color i.e. something light. Not to mention that sapphire doesen''t have to mean blue, as there are fancy colored ones in every color except red (there are even green ones).

Have fun!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 4:43:43 AM
Author: ma re
In the late 19th and early 20th century there was a style of rings called 'toi et moi' (French for 'you and me') which always had two stones in a setting, representing people in love. HERE is an antique dealer that has a lot of them, so take a look, you might find the idea interesting. And just a suggestion, that if you go on with mixing peridot and sapphire, I'd advise you against typical dark blue sapphires, cause it's easier to mix peridot (or any other gem, for that matter) with a stone of similar tone of color i.e. something light. Not to mention that sapphire doesen't have to mean blue, as there are fancy colored ones in every color except red (there are even green ones).

Have fun!
I love the toi moi rings, it's been on my list of projects forever now. Mine will be garnet and aquamarine, so there's lots of choices of color with the garnet. Can't decide if I like red and blue, or green and blue better. Hehe. One of the problems I'm predicting for my ring is actually finding stones that are small enough. Most toi et moi rings I see feature pretty small stones (.2-.5 ct), and as someone previously posted, it can be hard to find such small sizes from online gem dealers. :/ Especially for something like aquamarine (and possibly peridot) where material that's closer or larger than 1 ct isn't uncommon. I have yet to find an aquamarine for sale that's under 6mm. I originally though about doing green beryl and green garnet, but finding small green beryl is arguable even harder, lol.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 8:32:20 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade

I love the toi moi rings, it''s been on my list of projects forever now. Mine will be garnet and aquamarine, so there''s lots of choices of color with the garnet. Can''t decide if I like red and blue, or green and blue better. Hehe. One of the problems I''m predicting for my ring is actually finding stones that are small enough. Most toi et moi rings I see feature pretty small stones (.2-.5 ct), and as someone previously posted, it can be hard to find such small sizes from online gem dealers. :/ Especially for something like aquamarine (and possibly peridot) where material that''s closer or larger than 1 ct isn''t uncommon. I have yet to find an aquamarine for sale that''s under 6mm. I originally though about doing green beryl and green garnet, but finding small green beryl is arguable even harder, lol.
Try with bixbites and demantoids - you won''t have trouble with large sizes there
9.gif
And they are beryl and garnet respectively
2.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, yeah, the demantoid/tsavorite part was never the problem...I've rarely heard of bixbite, thanks for the suggestion! I think I"ll just keep hunting for a small and pretty blue aquamarine (I do love the color, and think it'd look smashing with a demantoid buddy).

PS> August birthstones also include Sardonyx if you wanted something a little different. :)
Sardonyx

GG414

Rough_Rock
check out suzanne felsen. http://www.suzannefelsen.com/

she has a periodot ring w/a pink sapphire halo. i would link to the ring, but it is a flash website. she also does a lot of different color combinations so it might give you an idea of the color pairings that you like. since sapphire comes in pretty much every color, there are many color combos to choose from.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a combo of light green and bright blue would be lovely. However, I've never seen any ready made ones other than a diamond and sapphire combo. This project might cost more than you expect because it'll have to be custom made. Also, be advised that peridots are soft and not made for daily wear, unlike sapphires. They can be damaged more easily.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I have a peridot and pink tourmaline ring. It was really helpful to look at the stones together before deciding on which ones to use (I had the peridot and was looking for sidestones). I went in there thinking I wanted a blue stone but ended up liking the pink the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results