shape
carat
color
clarity

Performance Images Comparison (ACA vs ES)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am kind of all over the place on 3-stone options. I’ve been combing 3-stone threads, google searching, all the regular PS vendors’ sites, etc. I really like the Butterflies setting; my only apprehension is if it’s a smidge too delicate for my everyday life, and if I need something a little more ‘solid’ feeling (e.g., Sholdt-esque). That’s why I’m thinking about going ‘Team Simple Soli’ for the short term while I sort that out, and it’ll give me time to adjust to the new diamond size for a little while as well. What options are you considering for settings? I feel like we have pretty similar taste, so maybe we can get a 2-fer! :lol:
I’m only in the very preliminary stages of looking, and won’t be changing my current setting any time soon it looks like. That said: I also love the Butterfly settings, but think it may be too delicate for my lifestyle. Thought about bezeling the size diamonds and doing six prongs on the center, but I’m not sure :doh:. I think if I were to do it, I would try to get side pics of @mrs-b and @MissGotRocks settings. From the top their settings look substantial, and have the look I gravitate towards in a three stone.

And yes, we do tend to have similar taste. I’m laying in wait to see what you come up with so I have another take of the three stone to inspire me :kiss2:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should add- while Stuller is fine, please be aware that they are not the same quality as Sholdt. So that may take some getting used to for you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wewechew I am REALLY digging it. Now that I’m back home and able to play with it a little more ... the size is a little ‘much’ for me/my lifestyle, but the performance is really enhanced (magnified, perhaps) by the size. I guess it’s easier for me to see the crisp faceting, depth, contrast, etc. so I’m just kind of drawn deep down into it. The videos maybe capture it, but they still don’t show what I see in person. The ACA probably looks a little brighter than the ES because it’s setting up high in the tension holder, and my cell phone case is white (same thing happened with the CBI videos). But there is just something about this one ... it’s just mesmerizing. And I just LOVE it! :love: And to answer your question re: fluorescence ... negligible at best.

C51B3E17-F832-4AFA-87A7-B80A6B241E84.jpeg C9E60366-CE28-49AC-A91E-93D6A402AE7B.jpeg 21DF1BD1-EA63-43FD-A74A-46D9F7DD0C41.jpeg

@mwilliamanderson Thank you, but no, I didn’t take it with me to the soccer fields since it's only in a temp ring holder. :lol:

@tyty333 Thank you; I’m sure I will get used to the size, especially since I can’t take my eyes off it! I’m bummed I’ll need to send it back for setting. :cry2: I’m up in the air right now about a setting for it. I promised hubs I’d attempt to downsize a bit, and figured I’d probably go 3-stone with it, as that’s what I was toying with doing with my ES ... I like @yssie / WF Butterflies, as well as @mrs-b & @MissGotRocks gorgeous 3-stone rings. But I may opt to set it in a temp simple-soli for the time being while I get used to its size & personality as well as really decide on three stone setting options. Decisions ... decisions ... :think: I was thinking I will likely repurpose the diamonds from my three stone, but up in the air if I’d prefer the smaller ones or finding a match for the center, and use the smaller sides for studs. I kind like the idea of a honkin’ center with small-ish sides so the center stays the focus.

DAF0DE3B-D824-42A4-8DB6-0CB6D39FF372.jpeg 93164EC2-4DBF-4EE6-AD88-F130487F1478.jpeg

@kmoro Part of what I was trying to figure out (before receiving this beauty) was whether the differences would be discernible to the eye in person. Yes, the cut/proportion differences are small, but it was fun reading & learning in the mean time. I am very happy with the appearance of the ACA’s arrows. I can’t say for sure if I’d be able to tell the difference if both diamonds were otherwise the same. But I can tell - in my .70 MRB - that the arrows do reflect the 80 LGF (or closer to 80, since it’s GIA).

@MissGotRocks Thank you; happy to be joining ‘da club! :wavey: Yes, it’s 2.10ct, K, VS2; here’s the link to it on WF. I will probably take a few more pics/videos tonight and tomorrow morning and post them, but likely wait till I set it for a SMTB thread. For reference, what size is your ring finger? You know I’m stalking EVERY three stone ring for different combos, sizes, etc. to get a sense for potential scale. :)

My three stones is about 5.25 or a smidge under. The center stone is 2.53 and the side stones are .33 each. Just thought I'd share that with you here; I hate to like something and then have to scour the whole website to try to find proportions!

The stone is really beautiful and I can appreciate your feelings in terms of the size. I went from a 2.19 to a 2.53 and my first reaction was 'wow that's big' but as with all diamonds, my eyes adjusted to the size rather quickly. While I can appreciate the size difference in relation to where the center stone hit my finger in the previous stone vs. the current stone, the new one now seems normal instead of big. Crazy how that happens and how fast it happens!
I love a beautiful three stone ring but if you ever thought you wanted the solitaire, do it first. Once you add the three stone to the mix, it is almost impossible to give up the finger coverage and go back!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m only in the very preliminary stages of looking, and won’t be changing my current setting any time soon it looks like. That said: I also love the Butterfly settings, but think it may be too delicate for my lifestyle. Thought about bezeling the size diamonds and doing six prongs on the center, but I’m not sure :doh:. I think if I were to do it, I would try to get side pics of @mrs-b and @MissGotRocks settings. From the top their settings look substantial, and have the look I gravitate towards in a three stone.

And yes, we do tend to have similar taste. I’m laying in wait to see what you come up with so I have another take of the three stone to inspire me :kiss2:

Funny, I thought about doing that VERY same thing, and was trying to find some examples. I need to figure out a perfect balance between simple/elegant & bullet proof. And yes, I know Stuller won’t be ‘on par’ with Sholdt. The Stuller would likely be a temp setting for a period of time while I figure out what I might want to do for a 3-stone so i can enjoy the diamond in the mean time without throwing away too much money.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My three stones is about 5.25 or a smidge under. The center stone is 2.53 and the side stones are .33 each. Just thought I'd share that with you here; I hate to like something and then have to scour the whole website to try to find proportions!

The stone is really beautiful and I can appreciate your feelings in terms of the size. I went from a 2.19 to a 2.53 and my first reaction was 'wow that's big' but as with all diamonds, my eyes adjusted to the size rather quickly. While I can appreciate the size difference in relation to where the center stone hit my finger in the previous stone vs. the current stone, the new one now seems normal instead of big. Crazy how that happens and how fast it happens!
I love a beautiful three stone ring but if you ever thought you wanted the solitaire, do it first. Once you add the three stone to the mix, it is almost impossible to give up the finger coverage and go back!

Thank you for sharing the proportions here; very helpful! The sides in my current 3-stone are about .35ct each, and I think - for me - they’ll be perfect with the ACA; one of the sides is also an ACA and the other is darn near the same in terms of cut. I agree with you on the ‘can’t give up finger coverage’ suggestion of the solitaire first. I feel - more and more - like that’s the route I’ll take because I do not want to take apart my current 3-stone until I am 100% certain I know what I want to do and if I want to use those diamonds. So I appreciate your point that out as well!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sun was out & I had a little time earlier to see how she performs. I plan to try again when the sun is a bit stronger & higher in the sky to see if it ‘blacks out’ as I’ve seen others report is sometimes the case.

But for now, early morning outdoors light:
0141BE39-ED8A-48CD-AE93-5F68786F1890.jpeg
783D8E6F-BC45-4D00-B22E-F77256BBA8F4.jpeg
93D54B59-46CF-43FF-94E6-FB4D9C8D0A62.jpeg
DA575F47-8ED3-4E68-9A09-E15261F6EDA8.jpeg
37A558EF-F4BF-4E5C-8642-ECD068D9942C.jpeg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so excited that you love it! Yay!!!!! I really thought it was gorgeous when I saw it!!!!! Can't wait to see it set!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing your ES doesn’t black out ever?
I don’t believe so; and, of course, it’s cloudy out again now so I can’t go specifically check to be sure. But I don’t recall it doing it when I’ve had it outside in the sun, nor the ACA so far when I’ve walked it outside in the sun.

I am so excited that you love it! Yay!!!!! I really thought it was gorgeous when I saw it!!!!! Can't wait to see it set!

I cannot thank you enough for doing that last week! I trust WF & Michelle’s assessment, and having a fellow PSer also put their eyes on it as well just added another level of pre-purchase confidence & peace of mind when making such a purchase. I wish there was a ‘huggy’ emoji. :mrgreen2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wewechew I can now confirm - no, neither my ES nor the ACA ‘go black’ in direct sunlight. I just noticed the sun came out behind the clouds, so like a wild banshee I ran to get both diamonds and get outside quick before the sun went back into hiding. I recall Garry had a thread on this awhile back, but I can’t remember what the consensus was as to ‘why’ some super ideals do and some don’t.

And yes, hubs thinks I’m certifiable when it comes to assessing the bling! LOL

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wewechew I am REALLY digging it. Now that I’m back home and able to play with it a little more ... the size is a little ‘much’ for me/my lifestyle, but the performance is really enhanced (magnified, perhaps) by the size. I guess it’s easier for me to see the crisp faceting, depth, contrast, etc. so I’m just kind of drawn deep down into it. The videos maybe capture it, but they still don’t show what I see in person. The ACA probably looks a little brighter than the ES because it’s setting up high in the tension holder, and my cell phone case is white (same thing happened with the CBI videos). But there is just something about this one ... it’s just mesmerizing. And I just LOVE it! :love: And to answer your question re: fluorescence ... negligible at best.

C51B3E17-F832-4AFA-87A7-B80A6B241E84.jpeg C9E60366-CE28-49AC-A91E-93D6A402AE7B.jpeg 21DF1BD1-EA63-43FD-A74A-46D9F7DD0C41.jpeg

@mwilliamanderson Thank you, but no, I didn’t take it with me to the soccer fields since it's only in a temp ring holder. :lol:

@tyty333 Thank you; I’m sure I will get used to the size, especially since I can’t take my eyes off it! I’m bummed I’ll need to send it back for setting. :cry2: I’m up in the air right now about a setting for it. I promised hubs I’d attempt to downsize a bit, and figured I’d probably go 3-stone with it, as that’s what I was toying with doing with my ES ... I like @yssie / WF Butterflies, as well as @mrs-b & @MissGotRocks gorgeous 3-stone rings. But I may opt to set it in a temp simple-soli for the time being while I get used to its size & personality as well as really decide on three stone setting options. Decisions ... decisions ... :think: I was thinking I will likely repurpose the diamonds from my three stone, but up in the air if I’d prefer the smaller ones or finding a match for the center, and use the smaller sides for studs. I kind like the idea of a honkin’ center with small-ish sides so the center stays the focus.

DAF0DE3B-D824-42A4-8DB6-0CB6D39FF372.jpeg 93164EC2-4DBF-4EE6-AD88-F130487F1478.jpeg

@kmoro Part of what I was trying to figure out (before receiving this beauty) was whether the differences would be discernible to the eye in person. Yes, the cut/proportion differences are small, but it was fun reading & learning in the mean time. I am very happy with the appearance of the ACA’s arrows. I can’t say for sure if I’d be able to tell the difference if both diamonds were otherwise the same. But I can tell - in my .70 MRB - that the arrows do reflect the 80 LGF (or closer to 80, since it’s GIA).

@MissGotRocks Thank you; happy to be joining ‘da club! :wavey: Yes, it’s 2.10ct, K, VS2; here’s the link to it on WF. I will probably take a few more pics/videos tonight and tomorrow morning and post them, but likely wait till I set it for a SMTB thread. For reference, what size is your ring finger? You know I’m stalking EVERY three stone ring for different combos, sizes, etc. to get a sense for potential scale. :)

As for the size being a "little much" - let's hear from you next week. #RockinmyACAinWalMart :appl::appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for the size being a "little much" - let's hear from you next week. #RockinmyACAinWalMart :appl::appl:

:lol: I think I may be slowly coming around & adapting to it ... but I should probably see it set first, right ... just to make sure and all? :whistle:

@Wewechew I don’t want to misinform on the ‘blackout’ question, so I need to stand sort of corrected and hope perhaps someone can explain why this happens indoors only. Maybe @Garry H (Cut Nut) can opine (and I’ll go hunt down the thread on this topic from awhile back as well). But outdoors, in direct natural sunlight, neither diamond displays the ‘darkening’ effect.

For reference (so Garry doesn’t have to dig up the specs/details) the ACA (in temp ring holder) has negligible fluorescence (attaching pic again for quick reference), and the ES (in the permanent setting) has MBF. Both diamonds are AGS-graded ideal.

Here are both diamonds outside - no darkening:

Same two diamonds - indoors in direct sunlight (coming in through the kitchen window within a couple mins of the above video taken outside), and they BOTH ‘go dark’. :confused:

C9E60366-CE28-49AC-A91E-93D6A402AE7B.jpeg

Separately, I captured a kickass video of both diamonds putting on one helluva fire show, but will put that one in the ‘Fire Thread’ momentarily. :love: It’s really bittersweet because I’m gonna miss my ES, but will do so lovingly knowing that I have the perfect (for me) diamond to enjoy in her place.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamonds don't go black - they just appear much darker and it encompasses the entire stone. You've probably been a bit misled in thinking that they go black - just dark!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamonds don't go black - they just appear much darker and it encompasses the entire stone. You've probably been a bit misled in thinking that they go black - just dark!

Correct, they go ‘dark’ ... I probably shouldn’t have used the term ‘black-out’. But I’m baffled why it only happens indoors (for me, at least). :confused:

Here’s one more ‘now you see it, now you don’t’:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ACA is absolutely gorgeous! :love: I wish I had been around to see your thread and encourage you earlier! I happen to have a smaller one on hold with very similar numbers for a pendant! But now I am second guessing as to whether it's too small after seeing yours!:lol:

It took be a long time to get used to my 2+ ct e-ring as I don't live in a land of big rocks, either, but trust me, eventually it just happened!

Congrats and I look forward to seeing how you set this beauty!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wewechew I can now confirm - no, neither my ES nor the ACA ‘go black’ in direct sunlight. I just noticed the sun came out behind the clouds, so like a wild banshee I ran to get both diamonds and get outside quick before the sun went back into hiding. I recall Garry had a thread on this awhile back, but I can’t remember what the consensus was as to ‘why’ some super ideals do and some don’t.

And yes, hubs thinks I’m certifiable when it comes to assessing the bling! LOL

My CBIs won’t go dark in sunlight, at least I don’t remember them doing that ever. But mine do go dark if I turn a flashlight on them.

Don’t worry, my DH thinks the same of me :mrgreen2:

ETA Just read your update. I do believe I’ve seen my stones go black in the car when the sun hits them. So it does only happen “indoors”. Interesting.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My CBIs won’t go dark in sunlight, at least I don’t remember them doing that ever. But mine do go dark if I turn a flashlight on them.

ETA Just read your update. I do believe I’ve seen my stones go black in the car when the sun hits them. So it does only happen “indoors”. Interesting.
I wanted to add :lol: - this is the only thing I can complain about having a super ideal. It’s such a weird thing to see and it’s not particularly pretty when it happen! So when it does happen, I remind myself that my diamond is still sparkling, my eyes just aren’t developed enough to see it, and try to put it out of my mind. So that’s why it doesn’t stand out in my mind what conditions I’m in when it happens :lol-2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ACA is absolutely gorgeous! :love: I wish I had been around to see your thread and encourage you earlier! I happen to have a smaller one on hold with very similar numbers for a pendant! But now I am second guessing as to whether it's too small after seeing yours!:lol:

It took be a long time to get used to my 2+ ct e-ring as I don't live in a land of big rocks, either, but trust me, eventually it just happened!

Congrats and I look forward to seeing how you set this beauty!

Thank you, DS! I don’t live in the land of big rocks either, so I’m glad I’m not alone in feeling that apprehension, and that others get it. I really never expected to upgrade my ES, as I’ve always loved it and figured it’d have to be something pretty special to even consider it and at a price point my wallet (and hubby) would approve. First the CBI came up with specs I thought could sway me; but the wallet wasn’t having it given the loss on trade-in I’d take. Then, the ‘perfect storm’ of circumstances cropped up (which I’ll explain later) and the perfect diamond happened to be available at WF. So I’ll just call it fortunate luck & timing, and consider myself blessed to have to ‘get comfortable’ with the new size. :mrgreen2:

Separately, perhaps before things get too screwy closer to the holidays, we can get a few other ‘locals’ together and meet for lunch some weekend soon. :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to add :lol: - this is the only thing I can complain about having a super ideal. It’s such a weird thing to see and it’s not particularly pretty when it happen! So when it does happen, I remind myself that my diamond is still sparkling, my eyes just aren’t developed enough to see it, and try to put it out of my mind. So that’s why it doesn’t stand out in my mind what conditions I’m in when it happens :lol-2:

No worries; it clearly didn’t happen often enough for me either (if ever, that I recall) before. I just happened to be standing near the kitchen window and notice it, and since you’d just asked, it was fresh in my mind. Rather than view it as a negative or ‘fault’ in a super-ideal, I think I’ll just consider it like I did the fluorescence in the ES: it’s just one more unique factor that makes my diamond cool & unique when in different light settings. :mrgreen2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, DS! I don’t live in the land of big rocks either, so I’m glad I’m not alone in feeling that apprehension, and that others get it. I really never expected to upgrade my ES, as I’ve always loved it and figured it’d have to be something pretty special to even consider it and at a price point my wallet (and hubby) would approve. First the CBI came up with specs I thought could sway me; but the wallet wasn’t having it given the loss on trade-in I’d take. Then, the ‘perfect storm’ of circumstances cropped up (which I’ll explain later) and the perfect diamond happened to be available at WF. So I’ll just call it fortunate luck & timing, and consider myself blessed to have to ‘get comfortable’ with the new size. :mrgreen2:

Separately, perhaps before things get too screwy closer to the holidays, we can get a few other ‘locals’ together and meet for lunch some weekend soon. :wavey:

Oh yes!!! Maybe we can figure out a good halfway point! That would be great fun! I actually found a newly listed stone that interests me, too! That would be fun to meet up after our new things come!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@the_mother_thing Thank you for the awesome videos! This is the closest I have come to a superideal, so it really gives me a feel for them. Both diamonds are gorgeous! Sorry to not add much to your discussion about 76 versus 77, but I was curious if you can tell us a bit about your beautiful band! Is it an orange blossom band? I love it!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
okay, that is beautiful! Congrats!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 Sounds like a great idea! :clap:

@OdetteOdile Thank you for your kind comments! If you’re at all considering a modern cut diamond purchase, I’d highly recommend considering the option if possible; just know you’ll forever be spoiled by their performance. To be honest, I’m not sure if my question re: 76/77 was answered even in what I see with my own eyes, but either way, I’m very happy with my choice/the outcome. My main concern was having the arrows appear a smidge too skinny for my liking, and these definitely do not. As for the band, I’m not sure what ‘brand’ or maker it’s from to be honest. I don’t think there are any hallmarks inside that indicate such; it was an antique estate piece I found that hadn’t been worn. I was drawn to the super fine milgrain detail, the engraving and antique feel of it; it was in my size, and 18K WG which is my preferred metal ... so it just kind of felt like it was meant to be, so I chose it along with an OEC eternity for my w-bands.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results