shape
carat
color
clarity

Perfection vs. Size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 12:24:29 AM
Author: altamurl
Why would a bigger stone return more light? If it were cut to the same exact proportions, then it should have the same light properties. Would it not?

Or when you say ''return more light'' are you suggesting that it is like comparing a small mirror to a big mirror.

I mean, that it obvious. Right? Or am I confused. because that doesn''t seem like much of a physics argument to me.
okay, the next time we''re playing dodge the tennisball machine, I''ll give you a yogurt lid and I''ll use the trashcan lid. We''ll see who can deflect more ;-)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, buying a D IF is a complete waste of money and something I doubt I would ever consider, however I can understand why this combo might be important to some, even if it isn't what I would choose. Even if money was no object, an I SI would be totally fine with me if well cut. That is the great thing with diamonds that you can try to tailor your choices according to your priorities, the only thing that matters is that the wearer and or purchaser is happy with it and feel their money has been well spent.

Also if you are unlucky, clarity can change with a knock or drop etc, the IF or VVS might not always stay that way.
15.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 12:36:19 AM
Well ... I am a scientist.
hokay...... and... you don''t understand that the larger the surface the greater the light return? Are you freaking serious??

tweeanna

Shiny_Rock
You said you bought the following stone:

whiteflash ACA Princess
0.547 ct
VVS2
E color
AGS O cut
no fluorescence

I was surprised that you picked VVS2, based on your preference for perfect or ideal, why didn''t you buy one with VVS1? I don''t think that the price difference would have been that much apart.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 12:16:20 PM
Author: tweeanna

whiteflash ACA Princess
0.547 ct
VVS2
E color
AGS O cut
no fluorescence

I was surprised that you picked VVS2, based on your preference for perfect or ideal, why didn''t you buy one with VVS1? I don''t think that the price difference would have been that much apart.
or maybe just go down a bit in size... to like .3 carat.... 30 points of perfection!!! (personally I''m happy with my 271 points of fireball!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 12:22:07 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 3/14/2007 12:16:20 PM
Author: tweeanna
whiteflash ACA Princess
0.547 ct
VVS2
E color
AGS O cut
no fluorescence
or maybe just go down a bit in size... to like .3 carat.... 30 points of perfection!!! (personally I''m happy with my 271 points of fireball!)

Ummm, folks ... the OP APOLOGIZED. And I quote

"I''d like to retract the stretch hummer, tacky, lemon, and any other negative comments I made ...I still think that ideals and rarer are my preferences. But I have to acknowledge that these are not "better criteria". That said, I hope I can extend a few olive branches among the posters to this thread. I apologize."

Care to keep personally attacking?

tweeanna

Shiny_Rock
I also apologize...I must have missed that post where he retracted his statments.....

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, OP did come into this thread with guns all ablaze, but I think it was cool how everyone stayed zen about it and supplied him with thoughtful responses.

Cehra -- your 271 points of fireball are some of my favorite points around these parts!
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 1:27:50 PM
Author: KristyDarling
Cehra -- your 271 points of fireball are some of my favorite points around these parts!
9.gif
Oh but Kristy ... YOUR 356 points are so *hard*, so thick, so ....tumescent. Not to mention it''s little hundred-or-so-point sidekicks dangling astride.
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
3.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2007 1:35:41 PM
Author: decodelighted

9.gif
Oh but Kristy ... YOUR 356 points are so *hard*, so thick, so ....tumescent. Not to mention it''s little hundred-or-so-point sidekicks dangling astride.
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
3.gif
Uh, Deco -- interesting choice of adjectives. Where are you headed with those?! On second thought, don''t answer!
11.gif
9.gif
11.gif
9.gif
31.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 1:35:41 PM
Author: decodelighted

9.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
3.gif
omg lmfao!!!!!!!

btw it took me a while before I saw the apology... the whole topic is ridiculous - diamonds are ridiculous!!!! And yet...... yeah, sparkly!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I could have sworn I heard somewhere that rubies are more rare than diamonds.

I still want a diamond though. lol. Goes with more outfits.
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 12:36:19 AM
Well ... I am a scientist. So the cutting science and quality, elemental composition, and physical properties of the stone are interesting and important to me. I know that I will never learn to tell the difference between all of grading factors for a diamond. But it is very important for me to know that I bought diamond as close to the ideal as I can possible afford. Admittedly, I cannot afford that much (being a poor scientist). Also, I am a modest person and I think big rocks (> 1 ct) are ostentatious. But I were a big rock kind of guy, I think that I would still want something perfect. I mean, I spent weeks trying to find a perfect stone on my budget. But that is my preference ... rare is valuable to me.

Anyway, for full disclosure ... here is what I bought recently ... as close to my ideal that I could get on my non-ideal budget

whiteflash ACA Princess
0.547 ct
VVS2
E color
AGS O cut
no fluorescence
Your diamond sounds lovely and being an ACA it''s probably very well-cut. I would just ask one thing, does your girlfriend have the same size preferences as you? If she wants something nearly perfect and about 1/2 carat you did really well and picked a wonderful stone. However, I wouldn''t be surprised given most ladies if she wants something a little bigger. It''s important to think about the tastes of the person who will be wearing the stone rather than your preferences (if you haven''t already).

locke

Rough_Rock
I''m with you on this one altamurl. I''d rather get a smaller stone and get a better quality - maybe not IF but definetly D since color for me is much more noticeable. This may be due to the fact that my gf''s tiny -- I''ve looked at bigger stones (>1 ct) and I know they would look out of place for her. Too showy. I''d rather get something right for her, something small and beautiful. Since you already picked up the diamond you obviously don''t need any encouragement but if this was a month ago I''d tell you something like "go for it man" or "she''ll love it" or something equally inspiring.

This of course meaning no offense to everyone else here who values size > quality.

Nurseynurse

Rough_Rock
I think I am a female minority, but I agree with the OP. It could be a cultural thing as well. My FI and I are Asians and we opted for a .90 E VVS1 (My FI still refers to my stone as "second best" lol) Since the D/IF he wanted was not available at the time we bought my stone. He wanted to give me the best stone possible and after being on pricescope I might consider buying a G diamond, but we''ll see what the future hubby say. Call me an elitist but there is nothing like knowing I have a well-cut stone with a high color and clarity grade. No offense to those with big stones that are G -lower or VS2-lower.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone has priorities that are totally unique to them.
1.gif
But KCoursolle has a good point. I wonder what the OP''s girlfriend''s jewelry preferences are....does she like small and dainty, or something more substantial? That hasn''t been mentioned yet, and it''s so important to take her likes and dislikes into account.

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 12:06:44 AM
Author:altamurl
Hi guys,

Here''s a philosophical question of sorts ...

After read posts here for a few weeks, it seems like a lot of people here are in the market for large (1-2+ carat) diamonds, but seem not to care much about color and clarity.

Personally, I think that a perfect (or as close to it) stone is best, even if it is smaller because that stone would be more rare and and closer to the ideal of all that a diamond is supposed to be in terms of beauty, glamour, status, etc ...

But instead, it seems that people just try to get the biggest thing possible and sacrifice other features. Why is size so important? To me, this seems a little ''tacky''. It''s kind of like driving a stretch Hummer to your wedding. Why not just rent a small antique Rolls Royce?

Anyway, I''m just curious what people think. Clearly my opinion is no better than anyone else''s, and I hope that this doesn''t offend anyone ...

Thanks.

Well, no diamond is perfect, just so you know. But for the sake of argument, supposed you had 2 perfect diamonds, and they are both identical in all aspects, including price. Except one diamond is 10% larger than the other one. Which would you choose? Bigger is not always better in life, but all things being equal in the diamond world, I think bigger is better to a debatable degree.

But that''s just my opinion, that''s all, and like how everyone drives different cars, people have different diamond tastes. It comes down to what kind of statement you intend on making.

For example, if you have to drive a Hummer because you want the adoration, love and attention of your neighbors, then size matters big time and you''ll probably be willing to pay a hefty price for it.

On the other hand, if you want to impress yourself and your fiance(e), and don''t care what other will say, then you might be more inclined to buy something a little smaller.

Keep in mind that some people might construe a "perfect diamond" as showing off more than a large diamond. I don''t feel that way, but some might.

In the end, get the rock that is most beautiful to you, no matter the specs.

LuciferSam

Rough_Rock
First off, this whole diamond being a symbol of your love is total crap in my opinion. I''m quite sure there are destitute people who love the daylights out of each other that wouldn''t be caught dead with a diamond for jewelry in the first place.

Second, the entire idea of the diamond is hardly a tradition or anything of the sort at all. It''s a cleverly concocted scheme that doesn''t date back more than around 70 years to when DeBeers hired a marketing firm to go to high schools and give lectures to women about how they should have a diamond. You won''t see anyone wearing one in europe or anywhere else - (although I believe the fad is starting to take hold in Japan due to some clever advertising)

You said a perfect stone is best... which is true. But perfect is different things to different people. Personally... I think the price difference between an IF stone and a perfectly eye-clean SI1 is a total scam. Color, not so much - and cut not at all. I think there is something beautiful about a well cut stone (is it worth thousands of dollars to me? absolutely not - it''s a rock that can now be re-created in a lab - the smile on my fiance''s face is what''s important).

So if someone''s buying a diamond is one thing (c) more important than another (c)? Depends on who you are.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I too also like the best in stones. If I could have I would''ve gotten a D color. I like the cool icy whites on me. Then you have people who prefer to have a little warmth in their stones. But buying colorless means paying a premium. Of course I would have loved to have a bigger diamond, but then I would have to go down in color/clarity. I''d rather have color/clarity.

Now if someone gave me a D/IF 2+ct.....I''ll take it!

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 264px">Date: 3/14/2007 9:52:38 PM
Author: LuciferSam
First off, this whole diamond being a symbol of your love is total crap in my opinion. I''m quite sure there are destitute people who love the daylights out of each other that wouldn''t be caught dead with a diamond for jewelry in the first place.

Hear, hear! I was trying to think of a nice way of say this -- but I like your way better!! I would be more than happy to wear a nice off white twist tie if that was all my husband could honor me with and it would be PERFECT!

You said a perfect stone is best... which is true. But perfect is different things to different people.

You hit the nail on the head! In my perfect world I wouldn''t have a D,E,F or anything above a VS2 and would be quite irritated if my intended wasted hard earned money on anything of the sort! There''s better things to be spending money on when starting out a new life together! This is of course just my opinion of perfection.
3.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

For example, if you have to drive a Hummer because you want the adoration, love and attention of your neighbors, then size matters big time and you''ll probably be willing to pay a hefty price for it.

On the other hand, if you want to impress yourself and your fiance(e), and don''t care what other will say, then you might be more inclined to buy something a little smaller.

Keep in mind that some people might construe a "perfect diamond" as showing off more than a large diamond. I don''t feel that way, but some might.

See, I see it the opposite... if I cared what others thought I would have gotten a smaller high colored stone, probably a superideal round. I bought my diamond to specs only I might love... because it is for me. I''ve come a long way but when I first bought my stone I worried about wearing it in public because I DON''T want to be flashy. I definitely did not get it to impress anyone else....

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t know if this is really apt, but I often look at it like architecture. there are standards of perfection in the field, but you can fall in love with a house that is not perfect, but it appeals to you. same with a dog or cat, there are breed standards of what is perfect and not acceptable, and then in life there is everything in between too, you love your pet even if they are not the standard of perfect in someone else''s measure. I know those seem simplistic, but I think it all boils down to a couple of factors, what can you afford, where, if at all, are you willing to compromise, and what is the most important aspect to you? I tend not to see most diamonds unless they are D IF as investments...get what you love. Like art, someone can value a painting at a certain amount, and identify why this is a pricey thing, but you might hate it...it all depends on the view one has. I think many people would be happy with a melding of cut, color, size and clarity, and hope to find the sweet spot.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Are D IF's still considered investments unless they are of a large size? I know they once were and were selling for at least $26,000for a one carat--and I think that price nearly doubled several years ago. Now, I believe they are about $16,000 a carat in the one carat range. I am sure cut quality comes into the equaision.

Are D If's less rare now or is there a lower demand for them?

On the other extreme, there seems to be a substantial increase in price for large--2 1/2 and up-- lower color and clarity, I,J, SI's which seem to be in great demand and short supply. I believe the reason for this is that many find that diamonds are cut better now and a large stone in a lower color can be very beautiful if the cut is exceptional at a much lower price and clarity, unless the flaws are visible without a loupe, does not matter too much to many of us.

Of course this is all a matter of preference and there is no right or wrong here.

LuciferSam

Rough_Rock
Personally, my opinion is that treating any diamond as an "investment" is ridiculous. I can''t imagine any diamond as an investment of any sort. Matter of fact, I''d go so far as to say it''s a worse "investment" than a car.

If you''re going to invest in precious metal or stones, I''d say go with gold. Mostly because demand goes up so quickly due to it''s wide array of possible uses.

If they weren''t able to synthesize REAL diamonds I would say it could be a possible investment - but since they are, and that technology will no doubt only get better - I really think it''s pretty much a slam dunk arguement that diamonds will be rapidly falling in value in the not so distant future.

I think for now, the only real investment a diamond is worth is an investment in the happiness of a partner - which is priceless as far as I''m concerned.

If I was worried about the practicality of a diamond, I never in a million years would have bought one.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with you that diamonds are a poor investment. The proof is in what happened to the people who bought one carat D Flawless stones as an investment. Even if diamond prices go up, it is unlikely that you will make money if you try to sell a diamond. The best you can hope for, if you shop carefuly, is getting good value for your money. The rest of the "investment" is in the pleasure you get from your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results