shape
carat
color
clarity

Perfect on paper, not so perfect in real life

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So as some of you might already know, I purchased a LGD a little while ago. The diamond looks so good on paper and it got a score of 1 on the HCA.
Nevertheless, I'm not pleased with the stone's look and performance. There is "something" wrong with it.
First of all, I feel that the diamond has a gray hue. The stone's color is an I and some tint was expected but instead of it being yellowish (which I wouldn't have minded TBH) or at least blueish, it's grayish.
Second, even though the diamond's clarity is a VS2, sometimes it looks crystal clear and beautiful (usually at night, under certain kinds of artificial light) and other times it looks cloudy (mostly during the day, under natural light).
Finally, the overall look of the diamond is underwhelming but in a way that I've never seen before. As I've mentioned in another thread, I've seen so many earth grown diamonds but none of them looked like this one, no matter what their stats were.
I think that the only diamond that reminded me vaguely of the way my LGD looks like, was an earth grown stone that I used to have (I've sold it in the mean time) with an SI2 clarity grade, which was based on clouds.
I'm posting the diamond's grading report and some photos, hoping that my PS friends will help me identify what seems to be the problem with this stone and what is the reason of its underwhelming performance...

AirBrush_20240115210846.jpg 20240115_204306.jpg 20240115_204242.jpg 20240115_204236.jpg 20240115_204204.jpg

Attachments

• LG564371095 (1).pdf
    488.2 KB · Views: 22

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do see minor graining in the video from the CVD crystal, and there is some pavilion twist that may result in leakage under the table. I also usually recommend pavilion angles of 40.6-40.9 for a ring diamond because there can be some unwanted obstruction with lower pavilion angles, which I think is showing up in some of your photos.

Can we help you find a better diamond?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, Natylad.
So sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your new diamond. Are you able to return/exchange it?
Kim N pointed out some potentially critical issues that could be the culprits working in tandem.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do see minor graining in the video from the CVD crystal, and there is some pavilion twist that may result in leakage under the table. I also usually recommend pavilion angles of 40.6-40.9 for a ring diamond because there can be some unwanted obstruction with lower pavilion angles, which I think is showing up in some of your photos.

Can we help you find a better diamond?

Thank you so much for your answer and for offering to help me find a better diamond @Kim N.
Unfortunately, I didn't give myself enough time to observe the loose diamond after it was delivered. I immediately took it to my jeweler and had him create a custom made setting for it.
After all the effort and the funds spent, I would rather keep the diamond and enjoy the ring as much as possible, even though it's less than perfect.
I just wanted to know the reasons for which a diamond that looked so good in paper and had an excellent HCA score was so underwhelming IRL.
Thank you again...

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your answer and for offering to help me find a better diamond @Kim N.
Unfortunately, I didn't give myself enough time to observe the loose diamond after it was delivered. I immediately took it to my jeweler and had him create a custom made setting for it.
After all the effort and the funds spent, I would rather keep the diamond and enjoy the ring as much as possible, even though it's less than perfect.
I just wanted to know the reasons for which a diamond that looked so good in paper and had an excellent HCA score was so underwhelming IRL.
Thank you again...

If you ever decide to get a replacement diamond at some point in the future, then we'll definitely be willing to help you find a true stunner about 8.65mm diameter so it'll hopefully be plug and play into your existing setting.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you ever decide to get a replacement diamond at some point in the future, then we'll definitely be willing to help you find a true stunner about 8.65mm diameter so it'll hopefully be plug and play into your existing setting.

Thank you so much @DejaWiz ! In fact, I'm considering turning my existing diamond into an everyday pendant and buying a new diamond for my ring in the future. Next time, I will certainly ask for help in order to prevent this from happening again!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@DejaWiz, you once mentioned the Ring of Death. Is that what’s going on in this stone? I feel like it goes dark under the table on the en face view. But I’m a newbie, and so I might just be imagining things.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz, you once mentioned the Ring of Death. Is that what’s going on in this stone? I feel like it goes dark under the table on the en face view. But I’m a newbie, and so I might just be imagining things.

ROD is usually what happens with an overly steep pavilion angle.
What we are seeing here is over-obstruction due to the slightly shallower pavilion angle.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Natylad, I hope you don't mind me asking another question about your diamond. Trying to learn here. If you're offended, my apologies!

@Kim N do you remember a 2ct stone that someone had to return last year because it had a grey tinge? It seems like grey tinge is hard to detect. I wonder if there's a touch of grey to this one, too. All the backgrounds are grey, so it makes it tough.

I've included OP's stone and another stone. Granted, hers is I VS2 and the other photo is D VVS2. But aside from the warmth, thoughts?

IMG_6110.jpg IMG_6113.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Natylad, I hope you don't mind me asking another question about your diamond. Trying to learn here. If you're offended, my apologies!

@Kim N do you remember a 2ct stone that someone had to return last year because it had a grey tinge? It seems like grey tinge is hard to detect. I wonder if there's a touch of grey to this one, too. All the backgrounds are grey, so it makes it tough.

I've included OP's stone and another stone. Granted, hers is I VS2 and the other photo is D VVS2. But aside from the warmth, thoughts?

Good catch, it does look like there's a slight grey hue, like Natylad said she sees in person. I found two other CVD I color stones with similar photography to compare.

I-CVD.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Definitely not the ring of death here. It's a different problem for sure!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No worries at all @0515vision ! If this was my ER stone I would definitely feel bad about it but thankfully this is a stone that I just bought in order to play with and wear as another RHR! So I don't take anything discussed here in a negative way! On the contrary, I'm very much interested in this discussion and I'm glad that I'm learning from it!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found another diamond that has the same specs as mine and i can tell that it also has the same grey hue that my doamond has. After this experience, i can distinguish such characteristics. Too bad i didn't know before buying...
I'm attaching the link for...your viewing pleasure...

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that one is super grey! Last year, there was a talk at GIA about lab diamonds by husband and wife pair who run a company. It was so informative and talked about the origins of the tints and tinges seen in lab diamonds.

I wish I could remember what they say causes the gray tinge in labs that isn’t seen in mineds. If I find it, I’ll post.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

I'm attaching the link for...your viewing pleasure...
That’s a really good example of everything that can go wrong with CVD!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

That’s a really good example of everything that can go wrong with CVD!

Agreed...planar growth layered clouding, gray-brown body color, and stria galore.
My guess is a dirty/contaminated growth chamber and repeated stop-start cycles.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed...planar growth layered clouding, gray-brown body color, and stria galore.
My guess is a dirty/contaminated growth chamber and repeated stop-start cycles.

Omg...what a nightmare...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results