shape
carat
color
clarity

Perfect Carat Size for a Round Brilliant?

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I’m on a quest to find the perfect size diamond. I started with a 3 carat, and decided that was too big and flashy. Then I got a 2.25 carat and that was too small. Now I’m returning it, likely for a 2.8ish carat.

In your opinion what is the perfect forever carat size?

I’m a blingy person, so I’d say as big as you can afford! Though with round brilliants I think 5ct is usually where I would tap out. Bigger than that can be a bit impractical also because they need to be set higher to accommodate the depth.

So I think only you can really decide what is the perfect forever size for you!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I have large ish fingers size 7.5 and I'd be happy sporting a 4ct+ or ideally 11mm round diamond if money weren't an issue lol.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This depends on so much- your lifestyle, your expectations/social circle, finger size, your job etc etc. Such a personal thing. For me, around 1.8-2ct would be my sweet spot for something that was for daily wear.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I think this question is such an individual thing. Finger size and comfort level are relevant, as well as personal taste., it's difficult to give a "one size fits all" answer. I generally feel like 1.8 to 2.3 is in the sweet spot for me. I have a size 6 finger.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
This depends on so much- your lifestyle, your expectations/social circle, finger size, your job etc etc. Such a personal thing. For me, around 1.8-2ct would be my sweet spot for something that was for daily wear.

hehe.. we were posting at the same time..funny same thoughts..

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I like my 1ct because the social norm here is quite small (1ct is considered big for a diamond) so anything bigger would just be perceived as fake. I have small hands and I like the coverage of a 1.0.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Putting on my fantasy wish hat, I'd say 1.5ish ct for rounds. Any bigger and I start wanting an EC.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
For my lifestyle (pre-covid) and finger size, 2ct-3ct is fine.
Anything larger I'd feel strange wearing. Smaller - I don't love how it looks on me.

On days I want more bling, there's always my 5 stone.

lavalle218

Rough_Rock
For me - I am hoping 3 carats will be perfect since that is the upgrade I am in the process of purchasing. For me, it’s a representation of how hard I’ve worked and some major career milestones I’ve achieved, and I love flashy!!! For most people, though, I’ve always thought 1.5 carats is a happy medium of noticeable but not too huge.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I like my 1ct because the social norm here is quite small (1ct is considered big for a diamond) so anything bigger would just be perceived as fake. I have small hands and I like the coverage of a 1.0.

I totally agree. I don’t love rounds in larger weights. I do like the look of large fancy shapes though. Maybe it’s because they spread out more and aren’t so tall.

For me, a 1 carat is perfect. I think the largest I would ever wear would be 1.3 in a round. I’d probably go up to 1.5 on a fancy shape. It’s all about personal preference though. So do what makes you happy.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
For 16 years (1st marriage) i wore a .33ct marquis with a 1 ct marquis 6 stone band and thought that was quite blingy.

My 2nd marriage he proposed with a 1.7ct round and I thought it was very glamorous to have such a big rock. A year and a half ago he bought me my 3.63 ct OEC. At first I was a bit embarrassed to wear it. Now I don't give it a second thought at all until I see someone staring at it, or trying not to seem like they are staring at it, lol.

My point is it certainly varies per person but also can change dramatically, and with little time passing as well. I never in a million years would have thought I would think a 3.63 ct is no big deal. (Size wise, not the $ or the thoughtfulness that hubby had to buy something so special for me.)

MrsDiamondHeart

Rough_Rock
I love looking at the huge rocks on this forum but personally I would be uncomfortable with anything over 1ct. I have a size 4 finger so my .82 gives me good coverage. In my circle, that’s a great size diamond, but I think it’s also reflective of the UK where engagement rings are typically around .5 ish.

Very happy to live vicariously through the bling on here!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
The modern round brilliant size I felt most comfortable with wearing everyday is about 1.8ct (7.8mm). My ring finger is 5.5. It had a lot of presence, without being so huge that it draws unwanted attention. My current OEC, is 2.8 ct, but faces up like a 2.6ct mrb....I'm still getting used to the size. It is definitely an attention grabbing size, and I still feel self conscious wearing it in public....and is definitely the largest among my friend circle. If I get another mrb, it would be around the 2 ct mark.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a personal choice, and I don't believe there is one size that is perfect for everyone.

DK :))

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had a 1.3 MRB, and now a 2.1 AVR. TBH, I feel I could go bigger - 2.5-3 MRB, or a 3 carat AVR or AVC.

I admit, I'm a sucker for size..

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I am self-conscious wearing my 8.59mm solitaire. I am very comfortable with my 8.01mm solitaire. Finger where ring sits is 4.75 (knuckle larger).

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worked my way up to a 2.9 and don’t think I will ever go bigger. So I’m going to say that is the perfect size for me, lol. That said, I think a 1 carat is the perfect size for those who want to stay within a modest range.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
It depends on where you live as well. I live in Beverly Hills and have seen from 1ct to 6ct - for a daily wear. I would have no problem wearing 3ct on my 3.5 size finger (if I cared for diamonds. I care for cars more though, lol). If you were in a different city/state, even a continent (in Europe, for instance, 0.5ct is average and very acceptable), the size would differ.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m probably not adding too much to the discussion, but I wear my 1ct solitaire 99% of time - bling factor depending on which band(s) I stack (my “hobby” or weakness, depending on your POV).
I have my mom’s 2.5 in a 3-stone with 1ct sapphires on each side. When I got it I wore it exclusively, but after I scratched the sapphires and had to have Jerry Newman come to the rescue I wear it more judiciously. I also came to realize that despite my wearing a tennis bracelet, studs and a pendant 24/7 that I wasn’t comfortable with the big (to me) 3-stone in every setting. Just for reference many women in my community sport very large rings. Just me....

Lovecarats

Rough_Rock
2-2.5 ct is the perfect size for me. I‘ve had 0.5 And 1.0 carats in the past. Played around with other sizes temporarily. I find that it’s the 2-2.5 ct that gives me the best coverage (size 5.75 finger) without interfering with my every day life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results