color
clarity

Penny for your thoughts on this $40,000 jade

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Ha. Ha. Ha. That's funny! I especially like the "please don't waste my time", and "no certifications, no paperwork". :clap: Hold tight while I go get $40,000 in cash and zip right over ;-)

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
If the stated age is true, I'd think the value comes more from the history and provenance. Also, it looks like the pendant could be antique carved Hetian seed jade, which is of high value to collectors. From what I've been told, all Chinese labs call nephrite jade "Hetian jade" regardless of geographic origin, so the antique pieces are thought to be of better quality before Chinese mines started getting dried out and imported Hetian came into circulation.

It could be jadeite, but I haven't seen as many people collecting antique jadeite as an age-based value as a quality-based value. It seems people want really high quality imperial green when collecting antique jadeite, just my impression.

But without paperwork or a transactional record, what does it matter, Hetian or jadeite? If it's worth $40k, why not at least get a GIA report to give a buyer some type of assurance. Plus, it is on craigslist and they want only cash, so...

Editing: Also, in the scheme of things, is 100 years even really that old?

Last edited:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
100 years is not enough to be an antique, the type of antique Hetian nephrite collectors go for are from Before Christ :lol:, typically stuff looted from ancient tombs. But there is a ton of forgery in this world, and you can even age nephrite to look thousands of years old so no one should ever buy antique jade anything without expert advice.

I don’t know if you can access this documentary but it is an absolutely fascinating watch about bronze antiquities and one man’s quest to find out whether his late father’s lifelong collection was the real thing:

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
100 years is not enough to be an antique, the type of antique Hetian nephrite collectors go for are from Before Christ :lol:, typically stuff looted from ancient tombs. But there is a ton of forgery in this world, and you can even age nephrite to look thousands of years old so no one should ever buy antique jade anything without expert advice.

I don’t know if you can access this documentary but it is an absolutely fascinating watch about bronze antiquities and one man’s quest to find out whether his late father’s lifelong collection was the real thing:

You should have seen me here, doing the mental calculations after a long day at work. "Okay, China has been working jade since at least 1500 BCE, carry the 1... Wait, 100 years ago was 1920." I've never been interested in antique jade, but read an article years ago about all the aging tricks people do on the fakes. It is fascinating. This video looks like it will be interesting, thank you!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you.
I watched the entire film.
Wonderful and riveting!

So, it was a disappointing surprise to learn that those bronzes were fake ... at least based on expertise that apparently is the best that we have today.
Maybe this jade necklace is also fake, but maybe not.

But again, thanks.
I greatly enjoyed watching that very illuminating documentary.

Now, is there an entity that can establish or refute, with certainty, the authenticity and provenance of this jade?

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert, however, there is no way I would part with more than 200 USD for that pendant and necklace, no matter how old it may be, or whom it belong to, etc. etc...

DK :))

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: :lol: at this listing

In all seriousness though because I am completely jade ignorant. This is the least desirable color of jade, correct?

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
"This is the really unique necklace you will never see want to suck like this one"

Did he really print that??

ROTFL!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@kenny I have a bridge I can sell you for $20,000. It would be a much better deal. :lol-2:

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
The person posting this didn’t specify a currency. I would take it at $40000 Zimbabwean dollars. Let’s call it an even $110 USD ;-) . In all seriousness, no chance at all any rational person would part with that amount of money without documentation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results