shape
carat
color
clarity

pennquaker09

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I meant to ask this a while back, but what material and color are the floors?

And, how do you feel about wallpaper?

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Janine,

You don''t have to have the same treatments in both rooms, but I wouldn''t do panels in one room, and just valances in the other. That would look unbalanced to me. I would just keep the two rooms complementary.

I know you are not in the house yet, but when you are, if you would like to post pictures of the rooms in question, I can show you some ideas on the windows using design software that I have.

You might be surprised, floor to ceiling panels could actually make your ceilings look higher.

Tandogmom.

It is okay to add valances or draperies to shutters, but I agree with Penn, it takes away from the clean lines of the shutters.

I think that draperies would look better, as it would keep with the clean look of the shutters. If you would like to post pics, I would be happy to show you some designs.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Penn, All our floors are hardwood (natural hardwood). I hadn''t thought of wallpaper--not against it, just thought maybe it was out of style since I don''t see much of it anymore.

Anastasia, thanks for the tips--I''d love to post photos once when we''re in the house fulltime and get your feedback. I guess window dressings can come last, right now still working on the furniture, whew!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
another thought-or question: if i purchase 2 living room pieces (a sofa and chair), should they be of matching fabric. I will eventually buy a 3rd chair (wing chair for example)--but I''m not sure if 2 out of the 3 should match or if there is no such general rule. I thought it might be too busy with 3 chairs of different fabrics.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
penn, sorry for the flurry of posts, but I''m kind of on a roll here. I''ve got 2 schools of thoughts for fabric/color combos now (for living room) and am curious what you think.

1) cream colored couch (similar to Thomasville''s "Miraval" style) with offset chair (like a wing chair) in muted dark red fabric (thinking stripes with some creams, beiges and / or greens in there, but predominantly dark red). I can post patterns later if you''d like. This was my original thought all along--to be combined with very pale paint walls and a neutral rug (in the beige family). Yellow/gold panel drapes.

2) similar fabric to what you posted earlier (the striped green/yellow/cream combo), except more light blue, cream and green (predominately light blue and cream though) to be offset by wing chair in a pale yellow print. Walls would not be yellow then, but more cream and not sure about rug or drapes yet.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts--I am a big time amateur so feel free to tell me some of this makes no sense. Oh, and the living room leads to the family room, which right now will have very light beige walls.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to post something more specific later, but to answer you:

One of the great things about traditional design is that we can mix different fabrics. Like, believe it or not, but florals and stripes work extremely well together.

However, based on what you told me about what kind of style you want the room to have, I think we should (I don''t know why I said we, sorry) have the sofa and club chair match.

Speaking of the sofa, I don''t know if the Miraval sofa works very well. And I say that because of the style - it''s kind of uber traditional.

Now, I think the Thomasville Seasons Chair is definitely the chair you should purchase. It''s the perfect style and the fabric is one of those that will go with anything.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some rug ideas:

2120_506.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Think traditional, but 2009 traditional.

74200-214-couture.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Again, think traditional with a twist.

colette-yellow.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I think the colors of this one are great.

Sereno.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Again the colors and it''s not too traditional.

Somerset Lane_ Ivory.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Another one that''s kind of updated traditional.

Sophie II.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Bringing in some red.

35505-33004-Sedona-Henna.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
This is the same design style as the one above it, but the colors are switched.

35505_33003_Sedona_Ivor.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
This one is kind of muted.

74500301georgetown_enl.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I think the graphic is modern, but it's still a traditional rug.

Audrey_1.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s muted but still has an element of color. However, it is green and I didn''t know how you felt about that.

Windsor III.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
This is another one of the updated traditional styled rugs. It''s actually transitional, but I want to emphasize that even though the print is bold, it''s still very much traditional.

Rosetta.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Another one with green, but it also has the ivory, gold, and a hint of red.

sedonaivorylimestone.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
This probably one of my favorites and one of the two or three that I though you''d like the most.

Santa Barbara_1.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Another one that I thought you''d enjoy.

Tiana Glacier Blue.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
A classic motif restyled to make it more current.

Corinth.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Anything would go with this one.

marielouiseivoryblacklarge.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I think this one is similar to some of the others, but I felt like the colors were more you.

meribel.jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Penn, wow! At first glance I really like #4, 7, 8, 14 and 15 (I counted them out). Where are the rugs from?

Also appreciate your feedback on Thomasville sofa selection--so you think Miraval is too traditional? I''ll have to take a look at less formal models. Seasons is a nice chair..I also like Bocelli which is uber traditional too probably. You''re right that I should be careful not to turn it into a grandma style LR! What do you think of my color scheme ideas (the cream couches and red accent chair vs. pale blue and cream striped sofa and yellow print accent chair?).

Thanks for all your help--I hope I''m not taking too much time away from your babies!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
hey penn, what do you think of the Oval Office? It''s been photographed heavily today since it''s Obama''s first day and I had to laugh when I saw pale yellow walls, traditional couch and some offsetting light blue striped chairs. A bit overkill on the yellow but eyecatching.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 9:15:25 AM
Author: janinegirly
Thanks Penn, wow! At first glance I really like #4, 7, 8, 14 and 15 (I counted them out). Where are the rugs from?

Also appreciate your feedback on Thomasville sofa selection--so you think Miraval is too traditional? I'll have to take a look at less formal models. Seasons is a nice chair..I also like Bocelli which is uber traditional too probably. You're right that I should be careful not to turn it into a grandma style LR! What do you think of my color scheme ideas (the cream couches and red accent chair vs. pale blue and cream striped sofa and yellow print accent chair?).

Thanks for all your help--I hope I'm not taking too much time away from your babies!

Okay of the 15 rugs I posted, every single one that you like is made by Karastan. I was thinking that if you could find an awesome rug that you really liked, you would be able to see which way you wanted to go. We both really like the same things. I think I am little bit more adventurous here and there.

The reason why I don't think the Miraval sofa will work for you is because you said you were going for a traditional but clean look. The adjectives were classic, tasteful. subtle, clean and traditional. I've been keeping that in mind no matter what I look at. I'm not looking at one item alone, I look at them collectively, do you know what I mean? Somehow, I think I was given some kind of weird decorating gene. Anyway, the Mirval doesn't have clean lines, it's a beautiful piece, but it's a little too traditional.

I like both ideas and I know that doesn't help, BUT I'm also thinking of your dining room at the same time. So keeping the dining room in mind, I'm leaning more towards the pale blue, cream, and yellow. And that's hard because my favorite color is red. OMG, I have a plan, follow me for a moment!

Say if you were to get a rug like #8 (it's called Sedona - Ivory). Remember the red in the border okay? From there, you get the yellow sofa. And while we're on the subject of sofas, this is the style I had in mind (Thomasville Ascot Sofa OR Thomasville Chesapeake Sofa). I would get the sofa in fabric #4553-37. Add either the Ascot or Chesapeake Chair (depending on the sofa) in fabric #4711-94. And then the Bocelli Chair in fabric #2313-13. You gotta go over to Thomasville to view what I'm throwing at you, but I think it would all work very well. But in this plan, you have your blue, red, and yellow.

I haven't seen the oval office yet, but I remember what it looked like when Bush was in office. He has a pretty awesome rug.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Hi Penn,

This is getting fun and I love your suggestions! I like the idea of Ascot sofa/chair and Bocelli chair. Love the fabrics you chose too! The yellow sofa with red bocelli could really pop and is in line with that Traditional Home cover I posted on page 1 of this thread (I acutally back ordered that issue too--they even threw in some green, but their LR is much larger of course). I actually was thinking of Bocelli in the fabric you suggested and had saved it to my wishlist! Two others in red family I also like: 4344-91 and 3977-91. Don't you love how the Thomasvillle site lets us play around with fabrics? I sound like a broken record now, but also loving the rug choice (#9 is nice too)--what would you suggest for wall/drape color with this color scheme?

The only thing I'm slightly hesitant on is the chair in 4711-94 since I get nervous with too many colors, but I do love that fabric too! I"m going to play around with the Thomasville site so I can see the 3 fabrics together.

My other school of thought is to do the sofa in something with light blues, creams, yellow (4177-96?) and a bocelli chair in 3977-91, but this option is more muted and less pop I think, but still pretty.

For dining room we are thinking the Fredericksburg table by the way (from Thomasville). Not sure if this has clean lines or not (I do not have the decorating gene sadly), but it's a table DH and I agree on which isn't too easy! I would bring in some green to the room through upholstery on chairs and rug, and keep walls neutral beige of some sort. Maybe that would work if I had some green involved in the LR (which would happen if I did 3 chairs in fabrics you suggested).

I'm so excited now!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Just curious...do you think the Maribel sofa is also too traditional?

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m on my way out, so I will be back later, but I like the Maribel sofa. However, could you give a guesstimate of the size of your living room. We gotta consider scale and how it will look in your room.

Also, love the Federal style of the Fredericksburg collection.

For the paint color in the living room, again, I was thinking a soft gray/blue and then carry that same color over to your dining room below the chair rail and above it, paint the Blond Wood. I have a back up if you don''t like that idea :).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results