shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendants...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... I am craving a pendant for everyday wear at the moment, but it seems that they don''t get much love on this part of the forums. I have been having multiple musings on the subject all day.

I have heard people say they prefer rings as you can properly look at them and enjoy them, whereas you can''t with pendants.

I am spending too much time on this board and am realising that I want to buy a gem (small price bracket) but I would want it as a pendant for several reasons-
1. A gem will probably be bigger than my 1ct emerald cut e-ring and I don''t want to overshadow it
2. I can''t wear all my rings at once, so having a pendant allows me to wear more of my jewellery (does that make sense).

I was wondering if people wanted to post pictures of their gem set necklaces and pendants. I have a small budget (take that as meaning tiny) and initially thought of getting the LOGR semi mount round pendant, however it has too many diamonds on for me (I am a nurse and the size of my ring already is considered bling amongst colleagues).

I was looking at Whiteflash bezels, martini and four claw settings (without slider) however, have begun to panic that my pendant might look a bit dull and that people might just think it was a boring CZ and silver.

Anyway, setting recommendations are welcome. Also, slightly off topic, but I am in the UK so any tips on buying gems from the US would be welcome.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For everyday wear pendants, I lean towards a bezeled stone because it gives the illusion of being larger than it really is. If you don''t want it to look boring, pick a gemstone with a strong or bold colour.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I love pendants! I''m having my new found local jeweler make me one from a Stuller setting. Do jewelers in the UK work with Stuller? It''s a way to set get a setting and not spend too much.

You should also check Etsy for some fun designs.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that pendants are beautiful and you are right, you can only wear so many rings at a time. These are some of the pendants that I am loving right now.. not sure if they are exactly what you are looking for, but may give you some new ideas.

http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/15-Pendants-31-3481-000-Charles-Krypell-.50ct-diamond-and-amethyst-necklace-000-.html

http://www.firenzejewels.com/diamonds/info/15-Pendants-139-3285-000-Lady-s-.25ct-diamond-and-emerald-18k-white-gold-pendant-000-.html

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Pendants/Baguette-Halo-Diamond-Pendant_1274.htm

Good luck finding a pendant and when you don''t forget to let us PSers see it!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered some cabochon stones? Things like opals are not just great for pendants in terms of durability (they''re not really recommended for rings), but are neither blingy nor boring, and they''re really hard to mistake for a CZ
9.gif
BTW, some faceted stones are more translucent than completely transparent, so you might consider those (prehnite, fire opal etc.), as they''re less sparkly.

P. S. Like so many folks here, you seem to care too much about what others think about your jewellery, and that''s really something you should try to work on. Buy for yourself, and get what you like and will enjoy
2.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d suggest buying a stone you really love first. Then think aout the setting. Of course keeping pendant in mind and tiny budget you''ll want color and a size that''s callibrated so it can fit into a premade setting. Check out your jewelers and see if they use Stuller or something similar.

But the stone is the star. The setting is just to keep it in place. HTH

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ll get lots of pendant love from me! I love gem stone pendants!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I'm with you, SapphireLover. I love pendants, and I wear one everyday. I go for simple settings because I like the look and It keeps the cost down. And, as you mention, blingy for every day wear is not my thing either.

Here are my favorites (from L to R): Royal Rhodolite garnets from Art Cut Gems, a tiny alexandrite from Art Cut Gems, golden beryl pear pendant from Mineral Miners, bezel set ruby from local jeweler, red spinel from Art Cut Gems in Stuller setting, 0.70 ct F VS1 Crafted by Infinity round brilliant diamond set in 14k white gold Stuller setting by local jeweler, 4.1 ct natural green aquamarine from Wild Fish Gems with orange and white side diamonds designed and set by T. Lee - Minneapolis, moonstone in sterling silver from local jeweler, and diamond and blue sapphire cross pendant bezel set in platinum from local jeweler.

I wore the diamond and sapphire cross for everyday for years. It went with everything. Now, since discovering PS, I like to change things up a bit. I think something like my simple gemstone pears will work well for everyday for you, and won't break the budget.

PendantsPS5866.JPG

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! What a fab collection!

I love the garnets, the ruby and of course the diamonds!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2009 1:50:38 PM
Author: SapphireLover
Wow! What a fab collection!

I love the garnets, the ruby and of course the diamonds!
Thanks, SL. The garnets are not expensive at all, and might be a good way to start.

The ruby was an impulse purchase. The local jeweler had it on sale, and as you can see, it simply glows. No idea about any treatments it may have; I just enjoy it.

The diamond was supposed to be a RHR...I got it right before the stock market tanked last October. Actually, I''m glad the money wasn''t in stock at that moment.
20.gif
Anyhow, no money for the designer ring setting I was planning, so it went into a pendant to take advantage of the free year of insurance offered by Infinity. The specs are overkill for a pendant, but that stone sparkles like crazy, of course. I love it.
9.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SL, here are some of my pendants. Maybe you could start off with your favorite color and go from there.....

cmspendants04.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flygirl and Catmom............ your pendant collection is gorgeous!!!!!!
30.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
***Major GASP!!***

Wow, flygirl and Catmom...those are fabulous collection!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
SapphireLover, do you have a specific gemstone in mind already or a color?

My pendant was pretty dang cheap BTW. Barely 3 figures for the stone, $30 to set it, and $70 for the setting. I went ahead and bought a chain with it and that was an extra $125. All-in-all pretty darned cheap, especially if you have plenty of chains - that was the most expensive piece?!

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Argghhhh!!!!! Dilemmas!

I''ve now got my heart set on an aquamarine pendant. I''m in negotiations with Sally from heartofwaterjewels on etsy for a pillbox pendant. But .....

I tried on a Pascal emerald cut aquamarine pendant that went amazingly with my ering in my profile. It was far too much money but I loved it (x3 of what I want to pay).

Now I''m so confused about what to do!!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2009 3:20:16 PM
Author: brandy_z28

My pendant was pretty dang cheap BTW. Barely 3 figures for the stone, $30 to set it, and $70 for the setting. I went ahead and bought a chain with it and that was an extra $125. All-in-all pretty darned cheap, especially if you have plenty of chains - that was the most expensive piece?!

OK where is this lovely pendant? It''s not posted on this thread!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2009 6:15:37 PM
Author: SapphireLover
Argghhhh!!!!! Dilemmas!

I''ve now got my heart set on an aquamarine pendant. I''m in negotiations with Sally from heartofwaterjewels on etsy for a pillbox pendant. But .....

I tried on a Pascal emerald cut aquamarine pendant that went amazingly with my ering in my profile. It was far too much money but I loved it (x3 of what I want to pay).

Now I''m so confused about what to do!!!!

Now that you know what you want you can find the stone yourself and put it in a similar setting. You''ll save yourself money that way!!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 7:49:26 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

Date: 5/13/2009 3:20:16 PM
Author: brandy_z28

OK where is this lovely pendant? It''s not posted on this thread!
Thought everyone had seen enough of it by now.
1.gif

paraiba_039.jpg

paraiba_032-2.jpg

gemguy24

Rough_Rock
brandy, where did you get your stone/pendant set?

thats an amazing stone and an amazing necklace

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 12:03:20 PM
Author: gemguy24
brandy, where did you get your stone/pendant set?

thats an amazing stone and an amazing necklace
Thank you so very much!
9.gif
I got it done at my local jeweler in Austin, Americus Diamond. I looked around for a while and then they ended up bringing out their catalog for me to thumb through. I picked out the setting on Friday, they ordered it and the pendant was complete on Monday. So far I have been very happy with them.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/12/2009 11:26:47 AM
Author: Catmom
You''ll get lots of pendant love from me! I love gem stone pendants!

Catmom has some pendants worth loving!!!! ;-)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks bookworm!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results