shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendant with melee only: Would this work? Help with design appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m brainstorming a project for the distant future. The idea is based on the Christie''s auction pear pendant that''s been posted here before. But would this work as a melee-only pendant? Bad Photoshop job below, but it was the best I could do with Paint.

Does anyone with far better design skills than I have any ideas to make it better? I''d like to keep it elegant and fairly simple, since my size and style wouldn''t go as well with something too intricate. Any ideas would be appreciated.

teardrop 4321.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey I think it''ll work - if those empty circle pendants can be so popular, why not an empty pear?? go for it! I guess it depends on how "distant" you''re talking - if you wait long enough you''ll probably be digging something new by then lol!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra, thanks! I just didn''t know if it would look classy/elegant enough. I know it definitely works for circles. I love pear-shaped pendants but don''t really want to buy another pendant diamond, so I was looking for pear-shaped designs without the center stone. Don''t know if there are any other ideas out there that I haven''t seen. If you''ve seen any designs, please pass them my way!

Good point about the "distant," though! LOL!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Kim, is it necessary to have 2 rows for you? Existing design looks a bit like it''s missing a center for some reason.
I will try to make something if you don''t mind (if you are going to make it custom) or look up for ready pendants.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irina, I would definitely appreciate your design skills! I was going to have it made custom, and I'd only go ready-made if there was already something out there that fit the bill. It's not necessary for me to have the two rows. It was just the best idea I could come up with at the time, since one row alone seems a little sparse.

The existing design did have a center, and I used Paint to erase it to show what I was looking for, so that's why it doesn't look quite right. My skills in this area are sadly lacking.
37.gif

ETA: I was also thinking of the whole pear being much smaller than it is in the picture above, because I'm looking for something that still looks delicate, kind of dainty.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irina, thank you for the suggestions! Those are all really lovely. I think the Target one is closest to what I''m looking for. I intended for this pendant to be something I''d wear to more formal occasions, and perhaps with a wedding dress.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found another one that's close to what I'm looking for here, but I would do it with real diamonds.

ETA: My budget is around $500-$600.

kosza teardrop.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irina, or please, anyone chime in, do you know of any design that incorporates colored stones and diamonds well?

Also, does the last design I posted up there look a little "young"? I just want to make sure I get this project right.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Kim, this one looks great and the twist (literally) is always a good thing imo, but when it''s more to scale of a real thing it would not look like a "pear" and i thought that''s what you are after.

KimPear.jpg

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 1:25:40 PM
Author: Pricescope
This one is much cheaper from Target.

Not sure if this is the exact necklace, but it looks like it. It''s cheaper at overstock.com than target.
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=1657762&cid=25608&fp=F

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 2:44:15 PM
Author: orbaya

Date: 1/3/2007 1:25:40 PM
Author: Pricescope
This one is much cheaper from Target.

Not sure if this is the exact necklace, but it looks like it. It''s cheaper at overstock.com than target.
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=1657762&cid=25608&fp=F
Orbaya, it was something like $79 on Target-thou-Amazon, need to look it over for the link if Kim is interested.

Hey Kim, since when "young" is bad?
9.gif
, i think as long as jewelry is not "cheap looking" the "younger" the design the better. Here is a spess oval for the "twist", it''s actually breaks the general shape back to a pear by separating inner part visually, don''t you think?

SpessPear3.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Orbaya, thanks for finding the Overstock link. I think if I did something like that, I would modify it a little (i.e. a shorter vertical link).

Irina, that''s a good point you make about it not looking as much like a pear when you scale it down. I wasn''t thinking of it in terms of real-life size. I love the unique touch you made with the spess oval! It really does keep the outer shape looking like a pear, and it''s a nice, unexpected addition. Thank you!

And LOL, I didn''t mean "young" is bad! I try to look younger whenever I can!
9.gif
I just didn''t want it to look like it would be better for someone under 18.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hey! If you are going to have it on your wedding why don''t make it something blue? Look at this one, i actually love it, though it''s definitely "young".
this sapphire i found for you here and though it said "purple" it looks more blue to me, you also can watch a movie and it''s only a hundred $$.

PurpleHalfmoon2.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I may be a bit biased
2.gif
, but how about something like this but without the middle stone?

cmssapp53.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Kim, i shouldn't do this, but can't resist - the stone is way over budget but so gorgeous...

StarPearUgrr.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irina, both of those sapphire designs are gorgeous -- thank you! That second sapphire is just stunning, but way over budget indeed!
26.gif
I''d forgotten about the something blue, but that''s a great idea. I agree that the first stone looks more blue than purple; it''s a lovely periwinkle color. Hmm, another idea would be if I put a stone that color where the spess was.

Michelle, your new pendant is one of my favorites! Do you think it would work without the middle stone, though? It wouldn''t have the same wow effect without it. The blue really draws the eye.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2007 6:33:57 PM
Author: Kim N

Michelle, your new pendant is one of my favorites! Do you think it would work without the middle stone, though? It wouldn''t have the same wow effect without it. The blue really draws the eye.
I think it could work. I like the shape of the outer part, how it crosses over at the top and you could still keep the small diamond at the top, or replace it with some other stone. I wish I could do photoshop to see how it looks.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
No problem catmom, it just was too painful to remove such a beautiful sapphire so i moved it to the top.

CatSapp7.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Irina! I like it like that and I think without any stone at the top too.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I think a pear shaped "loop" of melee could look very nice. Either 1, 2 or 3 loops could work, although if you do more than one I would graduate the sizes a bit. I am going to attach a few pics from Macy's website for inspiration.

Single loop teardrop (14K white gold, 0.10 ctw, $200):

Macys teardrop.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
The next few are all done with round loops, but I think they would like nice as pear shapes too.

Two diamond loops:

macys double circle 2.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Same style, but in 2-tone:

macys two tone.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Double loop -- 1 diamond, 1 polished gold:

macys double circle.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Triple loop:

macys triple circle.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wasn''t able to log on again until now, but Irina, thanks, that Photoshop of Michelle''s pendant is beautiful! Michelle, I agree, the sapphire looks nice on top, but it would also look nice without the sapphire.

Kay, thank you for the ideas! You make a very good point about graduating the sizes; it''s more interesting than the same size pears that I attached at the top of the thread. I really like the one you posted with the two-tone and also the one diamond, one gold.

It''s going to be difficult to decide with all these beautiful choices!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results