shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendant size and style vs earrings

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I'm new here but have been lurking for a little while.
I've just bought some new studs from blue Nile, 0.92 tcw, and would like to upgrade my pendant. The one I currently have has huge emotional value as it was given to me by my husband on our wedding day, but it's going to be too small now I think as it's o.2 carat, so I'm thinking of changing the Setting to a halo.
Here is where I'm hoping you can help:
- will a halo setting look weird next to my 3-prong martini earrings?
- the earrings are 4.97mm each roughly, and the pendant would now be 6.3mm, would it look weird?
- does anyone have pictures of something similar they could share?

Thanks !!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You absolutely can wear a halo pendant with plain stud earrings! In fact, I may do that myself because my studs are also larger than my pendant, which I do not now wear. A .20 diamond with a halo is going to be more of a cluster look, but I absolutely would do it if you want to use that diamond in a pendant. 6.3mm for the halo pendant is fine with a 5mm diamond stud earring. What size is your engagement ring diamond if you have one?

I'd talk to ID Jewelry. Here is an example of a halo setting that can have a .20 center (but I am not sure this sample pic shows a .20 center, so keep that in mind).

http://idjewelry.com/14kt-white-gold-round-cut-diamond-solitaire-pendant-with-a-halo-0-33ctw-pd30-20-iusd.html

Ignore the weight on this one, but this style could be made to have a .20 center:

http://idjewelry.com/14kt-white-gold-round-cut-diamond-solitaire-pendant-with-a-halo-2-03ctw-pd2498-iusd.html

Or, if you like antique style, you could have something like these custom made by someone like David Klass or get it from BK (but they are $$$).

http://www.beverleyk.com/all-diamond/c716-b-d-d.html

http://www.beverleyk.com/all-diamond/c727-b-d-d-d.html

http://www.beverleyk.com/all-diamond/c726-b-d-d.html

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response !
The first link is exactly what I was thinking of. So you think it will look ok with the 3-prong martini studs? ( I'm still hesitant about that choice so stress a bit!)
And how about the pendant being slightly bigger too? I don't want my New earrings to look small as a result ! :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think a halo pendant would look odd at ALL with your martini studs!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal preference is for the diamond e-ring to be the largest, the pendant second, and the studs smallest. So for example, 1 ct e-ring, .75 ct pendant (or really any size with a halo), and .5 ct each for the studs. Or, 2ct diamond ring, 1.25-1.5 cts for pendant, 1 ct each for studs. But in my case, my diamonds (all upgrades from my originals) are closer to the last specs, but my pendant is a family stone at .80, so I plan to add a halo setting to make it proportional to my other pieces. It might even end up slightly wider in diameter than my e-ring, but that's okay with me. I just like the pendant to be equal or larger than the studs since those kind of can be seen together.

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
Hi
So my studs are 0.5 each, my ering is 1, and the pendant would be the equivalent size wise to a .9. So I guess it works?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elsafiancee|1468432783|4055168 said:
Hi
So my studs are 0.5 each, my ering is 1, and the pendant would be the equivalent size wise to a .9. So I guess it works?

Absolutely!!!

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
Hi again
I've just received the earrings and am having doubts. They're beautiful and I'm happy with them overall, but I'm now wondering if they are too small. What do you all think?
They're 0.92, j/si1, excellent cut (my main criteria), and just over 5mm.
They are classy and sparkly, and work really well with my just under 1 carat ering. But I can't help but wonder if bigger would be better.... Thoughts?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every size well cut diamond is beautiful. The ones you have on look great! But I am not going to lie, I have upgraded mine a few times. A good upgrade policy is essential so that you can start wherever you are comfortable with the price, and then get larger diamonds later. However, I will also say that diamond prices are pretty low right now, and if you could go bigger now, I would do it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's your budget? Do you like the J color?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we were talking about diamond proportions earlier, I gave you some general parameters. But with a 1 ct diamond e-ring, I think you could go to any size you wanted under a carat for each stud. You could eventually go up to .75 each easily. But you might find that something like .60 or so each is a nice size for long term. There is kind of a big price jump at .70, so it is nice to find stones in the .60 range. But you could always keep these now and upgrade later if you have an upgrade policy. If you don't, I would maybe start over.

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
Hi
I am very happy with the color, I was quite anxious but it does look quite white, even next to my F ering.
There is no upgrade policy, and yes I could in theory afford something bigger, I was just trying not to!
Thanks for the feedback though!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elsafiancee|1468982191|4057440 said:
Hi
I am very happy with the color, I was quite anxious but it does look quite white, even next to my F ering.
There is no upgrade policy, and yes I could in theory afford something bigger, I was just trying not to!

I think this is a fine size to start with, but since you are already considering wanting larger, I would really think about returning these and buying from a vendor with a good upgrade policy. People lose money selling diamonds to buy new ones. On the other hand, these look totally fine and if you don't think you'll ever want larger, then you are all set!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1468982570|4057442 said:
Elsafiancee|1468982191|4057440 said:
Hi

I think this is a fine size to start with, but since you are already considering wanting larger, I would really think about returning these and buying from a vendor with a good upgrade policy. People lose money selling diamonds to buy new ones. On the other hand, these look totally fine and if you don't think you'll ever want larger, then you are all set!

I agree. I would 100℅ want an upgrade policy on studs. And I do think that going with 65 points each would be a good.idea if there is no upgrade policy.

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
I've just checked, and I was wrong, there is an upgrade policy, but it needs to be twice the value so it is quite a sum, which would be easy enough to reach I sure lol
I have 30 days to return, so will wear them for a few days and assess. I might go to see what 1.2/3 carats look like to make sure as advised....

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I went to a brick and mortar jewelry store and tried on a few pairs for size. While trying on, I decided that 1 cttw (so 0.5 in each ear) looked just right and that 0.6 ct in each ear looked just a tiny bit too big. So I went for the 0.6 when I bought a month or so later. I have never regretted going slightly bigger, although it was a pricey decision.

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
Interesting you say that because when I went to try, 0.75 looked right and 1 carat just a bit big, which is why I went with 1 carat. And it's already looking small !!!!
I'm going back today to a B&M to see bigger ones and assess....

niter

Rough_Rock
I think that it would work and that there are no set rules with earrings vs pendant. The jewelry I wear depends on the neckline and event.

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
image_996.jpg
Thanks for all your advice, I now have both pendant and earrings, attached a pic (including a view of my lovely double chin)
The pendant is a f/g halo from stuller, center stone is mine h/si2
Earrings are 1.52 carat, I si1, 3X, and following PS recommendations I used Jewelryulovebyaby on etsy. She was great to work with.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo pendant looks great!!! And you upgrade the BN studs to 1.5 cts?!!! That's awesome! I think you'll be so glad you did!

Q

Queenie60

They both look beautiful on you! Congratulations and I am glad that you held out for what you truly wanted! :love:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous earrings and pendant! :appl:
I would love a close up on the halo on the necklace, if you don't mind.

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
image_1000.jpg
Sure, how is this? (No idea why it's upside down lol, but you should still see it ok!)

BoubaFris

Shiny_Rock
Elsafiancee|1470172490|4061810 said:
image_1000.jpg
Sure, how is this? (No idea why it's upside down lol, but you should still see it ok!)

Hi Elsa, how did you choose the diamond via etsy? Did the seller provide Aset and IS images for you to choose? Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results