carat
color
clarity

Pendant Project

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dear Colored Stones Lovers,
DH and I are celebrating our 55th Weddidng Anniversary in mid-October, and I would like to purchase a pretty, blue pendant to mark the occasion. I think I want blue zircon, but since I don't own any colored stones, I really need your help in finding just the perfect combo of stone and mounting. My budget is apx. $1100. And I want a reasonably large stone. It would be nice to find the stone already mounted, but i know that will really limit the availability of nice stones. I'm not keen, however, on having a mounting made. I went through that process on my OEC ring, and would prefer to find a mounting already made.

I sent an Email to Jewels by Grace about the mounting of the Paraiba Tourmaline pendant that is currently listed on her site. Since the stone is shown unmounted, I assume the mounting is for sale separately.

As to the shape of the stone, perhaps oval or tear-drop. Carat size of 4 to 5 would be good.

Hope y'all can help me.

GamGam

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would be a little worried that many zircons I have seen were cut relatively deep. Due to relative density of zircon and paraiba tourmaline I would guess you would need a ~7 ct zircon for that setting

http://www.ajsgem.com/articles/gemstone-density-definitive-guide.html

It is not imediately clear to me, that the setting's dimensions are going to accomodate such a zircon (i.e. a zircon pear with face up size 14×10, may need to be cut deepeer than 6.8 ). Even if this is possible I worry that you may need to get the stone custom cut.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some ideas! Unfortunately they don't involve a pre-made pendant, but I think you'll be able to (fairly) easily pair a good stone with a relatively inexpensive mounting from Stuller.

Here's a nice stone: http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10043

And here's a setting that I believe should accommodate it (you'd have to ask a vendor to look into cost and how deep of a stone it can take). http://www.stuller.com/products/build/86393/12352483/?groupId=193189

If you dislike this particular pendant style, heres my search for all the 6x8 settings on Stuller's site: http://www.stuller.com/browse/3c-collection/pendants/?page=1&facetValues%5B1%5D.Second=Oval&facetValues%5B1%5D.First=centerStoneShape&facetValues%5B0%5D.Second=23618%7C23642*&facetValues%5B0%5D.First=cat&facetValues%5B2%5D.First=centerStoneDimensions&facetValues%5B2%5D.Second=8%20x%206%20mm

Here's another stone option that's close to a 10x8, which is a standard size: http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10676

And here's the search for pendant styles that fit a 10x8 stone. http://www.stuller.com/browse/3c-collection/pendants/?page=1&facetValues%5B1%5D.Second=Oval&facetValues%5B1%5D.First=centerStoneShape&facetValues%5B0%5D.Second=23618%7C23642*&facetValues%5B0%5D.First=cat&facetValues%5B2%5D.First=centerStoneDimensions&facetValues%5B2%5D.Second=10%20x%208%20mm

Stuller doesn't have prices online (needs to be ordered by a jeweler), but if there's a jeweler in your local area that you trust you can ask them about pricing of any of the styles you like, and have them set the zircon (plus asking them about depth). Hope this helps :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My sincere thanks to all of you who replied. Let's see if I understand what you are telling me.
1. The mounting at Jewels by Grace is not an option. (Actually, the price also ruled it out).
2. The stones that were posted by LoveDogs, Rfisher, and Chrono are nicely cut stones which would be a good choice if I can find a mounting to fit them.
3. Stuller has stock settings which I can consider using, but will require a local jeweler to order.

I'm going to look for a jeweler this morning, and see if I can find someone locally to work with, but I still lean toward buying the stone from a trusted dealer, and with your input on the cut. If i go that route, are there other options for stock settings? My internet searches have not be productive. If you could give me a website, it would be so helpful.

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your input and am excited about having a colored stone pendant. :angel:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GamGam,
The stones I posted was just to show the ct weight vs mm dimension relationship for zircon. I will help you look for the right zircon, if you wish. I am concerned that most zircon will not fit any stock setting due its density and depth requirement and will have to research this in-depth.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the biggest sticking point (as Chrono said), is depth. So with any stone we post as a potential option for you it'll be CRUCIAL for you to look into settings in detail to see how deep of a stone it can accommodate. My suggestion would be to ask a trusted local jeweler about some of the stuller options in terms of depth, maybe they can call and do some investigating. I think this will be totally do-able, just a matter of doing the investigating up front so you avoid ordering a setting that won't fit your stone :)

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I've not used her myself, but Heart of Water Jewels on etsy is very popular with people here, and she seems to work with zircon regularly. She also works with blue topaz, which might be an option if you'd like to "go large" and are not wedded to zircon? There are many shades of blue topaz, from light to dark, with or without green modifiers. Here's a large pendant in darker ("london" blue) topaz on her site; it might be worth asking her if she has any large zircons or other colors, or to send more photos of this if this is a color/style you're interested in... https://www.etsy.com/listing/86700792/regina-pendant-in-18k-yellow-gold-with?ref=shop_home_active_2

Good luck!

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I received a reply from a local jewelry store today, and am still in sticker shock. I found a pendant in the store that I really liked, except it was too small and wrong color stone. So they have sent me a quote of $900 for the mounting, and $3800 for a natural blue zircon measuring approximately 15X10 mm.

I hope I have attached a photo---been a long time since doing that and not from IPad.
The mounting is 14k white gold.

Surely there are blue zircons of this size that are not so expensive.
Can you help me find one?

_4676.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GamGam|1467825581|4052105 said:
So they have sent me a quote of $900 for the mounting, and $3800 for a natural blue zircon measuring approximately 15X10 mm.

Pricing sounds reasonable. I estimate that zircon to be nearly 14 carats.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results