shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearls restrung?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
Question- I have a strand of graduated pearls that was my grandmother''s. When she died, she left them to me. They are absolutely beautiful, if a bit dirty, and very sentimental to me. I have no idea the quality of these pearls, my dad doesn''t remember when she got them or where. I don''t have a picture of them, but my question is this... Can I get them cleaned and restrung at a reputable jeweler? If so, does anyone know of a ballpark price for this? I am anticipating a proposal soon and I want to get these ready to wear with a wedding dress!

Thanks in advance,

Bethany
1.gif

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
Most jewlers can re-string your pearls. Be careful if you clean them yourself, they need gentle cleaning. Mild soap and water only, dry flat.. The cost is based on the length of your strand, could be $25-100..

Neil Beaty

Rough_Rock
Bethanying,

Pearls periodically require restringing for a couple of reasons. The most important is that the silk that they are strung onto tends to wear and stretch over time. This leaves you open to the possibility of breaking and it makes them look uneven when worn. The other big issue is dirt. The string normally starts out white and the little knots look great between the pearls. Over time, these turn to a mismatched sort of grey. As JoangA points out, cleaning is a touchy issue and you should only embark on it with great care. Restring is relatively inexpensive and readilly available. While they are being strung, the jeweler should also be able to answer some of your questions about the qualities of the pearls themselves.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Neil Beaty, GG
www.gemlab.us

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results