shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearls by Fox ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
While surfing through my daily interior design sites, I ran across this company.

Pearls by Fox

I''m not posting the web address because I''m not sure of the rules, but Goggle them and let me know
what you guys think.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I only checked the tahitians and I think they''re way overpriced. $450 for a single baroque pendant. Granted, the luster looks great but still, 450?? . Same for the baroque strand at 2k
23.gif

Granted, i could be totally wrong and the pearls may be drop dead gorgeous, gem quality color/luster, but from the pics, I would never say so.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
elle, I didn't see that. There aren't any prices on the site (blog) and that site says to email for prices.
I wonder if there are 2 companies with the same name?

edited to add -- if you Google J Covington design you'll find the blog with the pearls - I thought the prices that he listed (just a few)
were pretty good.

sorry for the confusion, guess I was a little excited. ;-)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
weird. when i googled "pearls by fox" one link came up right above your PS post, "fox lane affordable pearls". It was the first link and that's what i clicked.
when i googled 'J. Covington design" a different site came up.

The pics on the J. Covington site are very nice.. but no other info's provided
7.gif

eta: I like the coin pearl necklace.. Alot!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''m guessing the only way to buy from them is through the design blog - kinda a bummer.

I check the blog out almost every day, so hopefully I''ll learn more as they grow.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 5:51:08 PM
Author: elle_chris
I only checked the tahitians and I think they're way overpriced. $450 for a single baroque pendant. Granted, the luster looks great but still, 450?? . Same for the baroque strand at 2k
23.gif

Granted, i could be totally wrong and the pearls may be drop dead gorgeous, gem quality color/luster, but from the pics, I would never say so.

That pendant is very overpriced, not exceptional in shape nor luster. A very lustrous baroque strand with very little blemishes and circles can fetch more than $1K, even from online vendor like PP (been there, done that
2.gif
). It's very hard to judge from photos to compare good vs. excellent luster sometimes. But once you see an exceptionally lustrous strand IRL versus an average or above average luster strand, there is a huge difference. The extremely lustrous strand looks like the pearls were dipped in lacquer.

At Tahiti Pearl Market, some very lustrous baroques (little or no circle) in 9-10mm can cost $200+. Those are what I would consider top gem in the luster category. The AAA pearls can't hold a candle to those.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 9:04:58 PM
Author: HHPmom

I only checked the tahitians and I think they''re way overpriced. $450 for a single baroque pendant. Granted, the luster looks great but still, 450?? . Same for the baroque strand at 2k
23.gif

That pendant is very overpriced, not exceptional in shape nor luster. A very lustrous baroque strand with very little blemishes and circles can fetch more than $1K, even from online vendor like PP (been there, done that
2.gif
). It''s very hard to judge from photos to compare good vs. excellent luster sometimes. But once you see an exceptionally lustrous strand IRL versus an average or above average luster strand, there is a huge difference. The extremely lustrous strand looks like the pearls were dipped in lacquer.
HHPmom, I''m guessing you looked at the wrong site. I''m so sorry I think it''s against PS rules to post a link to a blog, otherwise I would. You have to Google j Covington design blog and the entries will pop up. Hope I''m not violating any rules with that info. ;-)

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I went to the same site elle_chris did. Found the new one you meant.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 9:04:58 PM

2.gif
). It''s very hard to judge from photos to compare good vs. excellent luster sometimes. But once you see an exceptionally lustrous strand IRL versus an average or above average luster strand, there is a huge difference. The extremely lustrous strand looks like the pearls were dipped in lacquer.

At Tahiti Pearl Market, some very lustrous baroques (little or no circle) in 9-10mm can cost $200+. Those are what I would consider top gem in the luster category. The AAA pearls can''t hold a candle to those.
200 for one 9-10mm baroque pearl
6.gif

Are the prices online from places like PP in the same price range as the tahiti pearl market for gem quality baroques?

I bought a baroque strand from PP last year. Love the color, and the luster is nice but if I compare them to you photos of yours, yours are in a different league. Would love to own a gem quality strand some day but at 200 a pearl.. I don''t see it happening anytime soon..
8.gif
Maybe at 100 a pearl... lol..

sorry for the threadjack, Bebe.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
PP's and TPO's prices are really reasonable. But the pendants I got from TPM have more luster than online vendors. The peacock pearl on YG wavy finding was $229 (findings not included), graded as AAA. Their AAA+ is probably top gem. Their A grade is probably comparable to online vendor's AA or AAA. They seem to be more strict in their grading than online vendors.

The blue and pink pearls on my double pendant are cheaper, about $129 each, 9-10mm. But I got them because they are more rare. Online vendors don't have pastel colors that beautiful. Those had exceptional luster. But they also have A grade baroques and some of them look even to be the same as online vendors' AAA. I bought some for my mom and sister, 9-10mm, for $43 to $69 each, so...pretty reasonable. For pics, see the other forum of my Hawaii shopping trip in 2009. Mom and sis' pearls were mounted on the same loop style like mine, but on sterling. Total sterling and 2 pearls turn out to be $89 for one and the other for $125.

I guess the more rare colors and exceptional luster command higher prices.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to correct that the custom-matched baroque and/or oval pearl strands from PP are just as nice as TPM's pearls, luster-wise. More than likely special request items are from that category. PP's "regular" inventory for loose baroque pearls have good luster. But to get higher grade, you would have to request. A few years ago when Jeremy got the "loot" pearls from Poe Rava Nui auction, he set aside a certain number of pearls; and they were sold as loose pearls for earrings and pendants if you call and request them. Their prices were slightly higher than his regular stock but not as high as TPM's.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 7:14:59 PM
I''d like to correct that the custom-matched baroque and/or oval pearl strands from PP are just as nice as TPM''s pearls, luster-wise. More than likely special request items are from that category. PP''s ''regular'' inventory for loose baroque pearls have good luster. But to get higher grade, you would have to request. A few years ago when Jeremy got the ''loot'' pearls from Poe Rava Nui auction, he set aside a certain number of pearls; and they were sold as loose pearls for earrings and pendants if you call and request them. Their prices were slightly higher than his regular stock but not as high as TPM''s.
I was wondering about that because it seems that the strands you received from PP, are very high quality.
Was also considering contacting PP to get a very high luster silver with peacock overtones. Similiar to yours (which I love by the way. Then again, I adore all your tahitians) and was wondering if he''d be able to do it.

Thanks for letting us know.
35.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
This is why I love PS - everyone sharing !!
luvin me some grayish pearls - yum yum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results