shape
carat
color
clarity

pearls and diamond studs for multiple piercings

zinninge

Rough_Rock
My daughter has two piercings in each ear, and I was thinking of getting my her some white freshadama pearl studs for graduation. I think it would be pretty (if I can afford it) to have a small diamond to go with each pearl. So here are my questions:

1. Assuming that the pearl goes on the bottom, is a size 8 to 9mm good?

2. What size (small!) diamond would go with them? Color? Does cut matter?

3. I'm assuming I won't get any kind of certification for diamonds this small, so which vendors do you trust for this?

Thanks!

zinninge

Rough_Rock
These diamonds look perfect! She is a big girl, about 5'6" but she has small features. I will try to find a picture that shows her ears. :)

zinninge

Rough_Rock
Here are a couple of shots of her. The one where she's in her Halloween shows her fake pearls, which I think are way too big. Diamondseeker, I am curious about the martini-style settings. You like them better than the four-prong ones?

Do you think that 7 or 8 mm is good for the pearls?

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is very pretty!!! I think I'd order the 7-7.5mm for my daughter who graduated from college a couple of years ago, so that is what I'd recommend. I personally like 4 prong basket settings for myself, but I think the martinis are nice for second holes because they fit close to the earlobe, whereas 4 prong baskets can sit up a little higher sometimes. Most of the younger girls here go for the martinis, so that is probably a good choice!

I happen to have 7 and 8mm Freshadama earrings myself, and that is pretty much why I was thinking the smaller ones would be better for a younger person.

It looks like she has pearls on in that second picture, though!

Ooops! I see they run 6.5-7mm, 7.5-8mm, 8.5-9mm. Hmmm, let me go see which mine are!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would go 7 mm pearls. I also strongly prefer the martini settings (or bezel settings!) to basket settings because they sit close to the earlobe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back when I bought my first pair, they were classified as 7-8mm. So the second pair are in the 8-9mm range and are too large for a younger girl. So you'd have to decide if 6.5-7 or 7.5-8 would be better for her. I feel like my smaller pair are right in between those two! It would be a lot easier if you could just ask for a 7mm pair! Maybe call them and ask!

zinninge

Rough_Rock
Pearl Paradise? Pearl Outlet? those are the only online ones i know.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought Freshadamas from Pearl Paradise.

zinninge

Rough_Rock
I do like their site better. Do you have any idea where I could get an idea of how pearl sizes compare? my daughter is not a small person (especially next to me) so I want to make sure thatbthe 7mm is not too small. Also, do you think those earrings will be around or should I grab them?

IMO 6.5mm is too small for larger earlobes.... there is a huge difference between 6.5 and 7.5 pearls... I recommend at LEAST 7.5mm

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have two piercings in each lobe, and I don't wear anything in my upper piercings if I wear pearls. That said, if I did want to wear both, I think 8 mm is too big - I would do 7-7.5 max.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely idea! Funnily enough the pearl/diamond combo is what I am wearing today! My pearls are pretty big, they're 9-9.5mm, but I like big studs (no pun intended :oops:). My diamonds are .15ct a piece in bezels, and there's plenty of room for both. I do have reasonably chunko earlobes though, so alot of real estate.

I think your daughter (who is absolutely gorgeous!!) would look great with 7.5-8mm pearls, but I guess it depends what look you prefer, I personally like pearl studs on the bigger side. Ooh and I love the idea of pairing them with some fabulous martini studs from Whiteflash, yummy! :love:

PearlStuds 009.jpg

PearlStuds 007.jpg

zinninge

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone for the compliments, and for the pictures DandiAndi. That really helps me get an idea of what to get. Diamond seeker, that price on the studs is great. Should I snap them up or look around?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought two pairs of studs from WF and really love the quality of their diamonds, so I personally would buy from them. Pearl Paradise will always have those pearl studs, so there is no particular rush with that. I agree with the consensus to buy the 7.5-8mm pair of Freshadamas for your daughter. Diamond prices have been increasing, however, even in smaller sizes, so my inclination would be to get those sooner than later. I was watching a few pairs of diamond hoops recently (more than one site) and overnight saw the prices increase by 20% on a couple of them!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a pair of the .50 cttw. preset studs for my daughter for christmas a couple years ago and they are gorgeous. The size is
a little small for me, but she absolutely loves them. They sparkle like crazy in her ears and she is always getting compliments
on them. I love the martinis in this size because they just look like they are floating in the ear. I love the bezels personally but
my daughter didn't like the extra metal. You can't go wrong with either the pearls but especially the studs since prices are going
up.

I would go with the little larger size if you can for that reason, but either size is lovely. Congratulations to your girl!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luv2sparkle, she is getting the studs for the second hole which is why I recommended the .25ctw pair. I agree that .50 or larger would be a much better size for the main hole.

zinninge

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately my husband is balking at the price even for .25 ctw. Do you know if Whiteflash gives a PS discount?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure if they do on things like that. I know they do on loose diamonds. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

I think the price is good considering the price of gold and diamonds are at or near all time highs, unfortunately. I looked at Blue Nile and their .25ctw studs are $315 for I color, SI2 clarity, and only good cut is guaranteed (plus I hate the screw backs). So the WF ones are clearly better quality for a small amount more. James Allen's are $340. So I still think the WF ones are best and what I would choose after comparing the others.

zinninge

Rough_Rock
Thanks a million for the research. I will do some work on hubby . . . you only graduate from high school once, and this is a straight-A kid who has never been in trouble and who causes much less angst than her beloved older sister :)

His problem is primarily that he thinks this whole diamond/pearl thing a gigantic waste of money. Which of course it is . . . but that's not the point, of course :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! Men sometimes do not understand how such little things can cost so much! But it sounds like your daughter deserves such a lovely gift for her accomplishments! (And I hear ya on how different kids can be..I have 3 and I can relate!)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The .50 cttw. is really small in the ear. I think it would be perfect for a second hole as well as the first hole. I do understand
the price constrictions and hubby not wanting to go for it though. The smaller would be just fine. I was thinking just a little bigger
might be something she would continue to wear for her whole life in either hole.

Boy, can I understand! My first three kids just about killed me and my 4th is just like your daughter. Staight A's from the time he
started school and never gave me a single worry ever. I never even had to remind him to do his homework. His siblings used to
call him the golden child, now they have upped it to platinum kid. I understand why you would want to reward all her hard work.

I think WF gives a discount but I don't think it applies to pre-set studs, only to diamond purchases of individual stones. However, if
you are a returning customer there is a discount.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey girls, I think maybe WE are the ones who need some more diamonds with all we've been through! (I have to think of reasons, ya know!) :lol:

zinninge

Rough_Rock
Now I could cry. After all this she tells me she hates getting one big gift and would prefer several smaller ones. I guess I will just get the pearls and save the diamonds for college graduation. Do you think the 7.5-8mm is still the right size?

Diamond seeker, I hear you about deserving more! I went to dinner wearing every diamond I have (1.04 Ct G ER, tiny ER from mom, 1.06 G pendant that looks huge because of a less than stellar cut, 1.5 tcw studs, and my 13mm Tahitian pearl and diamond pendant) and was happy until I looked over at the woman at the next table. Crimeny! She had a diamond ring that must have been at least 3 carats and probably more. It wasn't that sparkly . . . that made me feel a little better ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, yes, I have seen some large and very cloudy looking diamonds myself! I'd much rather have smaller, better cut ones! A local jeweler in my town gave his wife about a 2 ct. diamond, which is large for where I live, but it is not pretty at all! I just can't understand choosing size over beauty!

Well, I guess your problem about the diamond earrings is solved! Those would be great for college graduation! Hopefully she'll give you a wishlist so you'll have some ideas!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think the pearls are a great gift for now, and you could save the diamonds for later. diamond studs would be a great college graduation present :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results